Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Werebat

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
KyleReeceHall polycounter lvl 11
EDIT: Scroll down for updated images!!

Hi there!

I haven't posted here in a very long while so I thought I'd kick things off with my latest work.
I hope you all like it and I would appreciate any and all feedback and crit.

Thanks!

EPZHrEw.jpg

6tZaJ8G.jpg

BiCJgM3.jpg

Here is my video turntable of this model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tCPLGow_0Y

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bat wings just don't work. Aside from the fact that it's changed from a 4-limbed creature to a 6-limbed one, you need to remember that a bat's wings are (essentially) modified arms & hands.
    batwing.gif
    batsternum.gif
    While bat eyes can be small, they are there; no bats are really blind.

The legs seem to have an extra joint.
  • PolyDom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This does look pretty sick

If I had to say something I'd say give him a more dynamic pose, it looks like all you did was move his right leg and winglimbs. Move his arms around or turn his head ya know?
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker

Thanks for the reply, the wings were based on a creature from the movie Underworld 2 called Marcus, I wasn't trying to replicate accurate bat anatomy and with the face and the body, the theme of a bat was just something that i wanted to play off rather than be a slave too, but i do respect and understand the importance of anatomy. Also the extra limbs are used more as weapons than as wings, that is why i didn't add any membrane between them, also the legs are based on dog legs, it seems apparent to me no that i should have thought things through with the anatomy of the different animals rather than focusing mainly on the human aspect.
    Thank you.

@PolyDom
    Thank you I will play around with some more poses, thanks for your reply im glad you liked the model.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I look at almost everyone else's work on here or in any other forum it is very apparent to me that i must be doing something wrong, the quality of either my renders or my models just never match the quality of others, im not sure if its my art or my presentation that needs improving, probably both. Can someone help me identify the areas i need to work on and maybe pass on some overall advice as to how I would do so? I would be extremely grateful.

Here is my latest portfolio:
    www.kylehallart.weebly.com

Thanks
    Kyle.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Are you rendering in marmoset toolbag? if not pick up a copy and then cry... allot.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried marmoset i will try it thanks! why will i cry lol?
    EDIT: Im rendering in Zbrush
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    That curved shin bone is really throwing me for a loop. Where did you come up with that? I am assuming its intentional, my only problem with it is it looks like there should be another knee there because of the extreme bend.
    I think your colors are really great for a base layer but you should blast some speckling and discoloring into it.
    My favorite part is the chest. I think you have some cool things going on there and just pushing the boundaries enough to make it unique without losing form.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The leg anatomy is based on dog legs, it was hard to blend the human quads in with the dog muscles.
    Thank you for your reply, i will revisit some of the areas you mentioned, and yeah i spent allot of time on the chest.

Also can anyone tell me if posts get more visibility when updated or should i make a new post when i update it? I dont use this forum much but i plan on using it more.

Thanks
    Kyle.
  • KyleReeceHall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some feedback from Reddit and you guys i made some significant changes, ill update with the newest turntable when it is finished rendering.
    Thanks!

jdPo31Z.jpg

e7ZykjA.jpg

Real time Renders in marmoset 2:

K389Y0E.jpg

EcSgAMd.jpg

i3bieor.jpg

NNUy4vn.jpg