Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - DinoPutt

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
bcarter polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone! Even though I may be a bit late starting into this contest, I wanted to give it a go, especially since this will be my first one! :)

For the concept I am going with a dinosaur theme, surrounded by rocks and a waterfall. There will be two main paths for the player to try. A higher risk, where the player can try to take the ball up the back of a sleeping stegosaurus into a hidden side hole where a pipe leads down to the final hole, or a low risk where the player can go to the side of the stegosaurus, across a bridge with a pack of small dinosaurs and around some nests to the final hole.

Here's the concept I created for the hole:
9vsn6mr.jpg?1

I should hopefully have a pretty good blockout done by the end of the day!

Replies

• Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty cool idea and concept. Looking forward to seeing more!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tobbo, your floating islands look like they are going to be great as well!

Almost done with the concept blockout, need to finish up the Stegosaurus and put him in the empty space at the top. It looks like I might need to widen the course a bit as well, but I'll have to wait until I can get it in to the engine to see.
    kOfw04Z.png

bYJBKwq.png

As for the level, I am thinking about adding a small platform for the small dinos to stand on so that the ball will have more to bounce off of. I am also thinking to make the hole up top behind where the stegosaurus will go be higher, so that you can't get the ball over there unless you go really far out of your way or do it the right way.

More to come tomorrow!
  • Ewing
    Awesome layout! Looks very clean and compact!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ewing! Your temple is looking great so far as well, I especially love the textures you have so far!

As for my update today I think I am pretty much done with the blockout. I changed the bases on the small dinos so that it ends up being more like a plinko board for the ball to bounce on, and added some egg obstacles near the end. Also got it in to engine for a basic test and it works! Still have to test out going up and over the stegosaurus though :). If anyone has any ideas on things to add or work on to make it a stronger level let me know.

Now time to start working on some textures!
    4vv8DKu.png

HrKBmar.png

ooak7pD.png
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking fantastic! And man do you work fast! :D

You may want to consider adding an additional collision mesh for the path the ball will follow on the Stegosaurus, like in the shape of a bent U to avoid problems with the ball hitting the corner of his spikes.

Best of luck!
  • qtbon
    You can never go wrong with dinos, and the stego bridge/shortcut is great!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks qtbon!

And Tobbo, yea I am definitely going to add something along the sides of the stegosaurus' back, it would be so disappointing to get half way up and fall off!
  • Grindy
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet, dinosaurs! Looks like a fun project, best of luck to you!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Grindy!

So for today I have a small/medium update. I have still been working on getting the course working how I want it before working on textures, and at this point I think I'm almost done. I chose to add another obstacle near the bottom of the course! Now before you can reach the hole you must face the dreaded chomping liopleurodon!
    fsVXKxr.gif

Notice near the pivot point you can see where his neck sticks out a bit..I'm going for that dilapidated actual built type of creature, so his bite kind of bounces at the end since he's not as new as he use to be.

Getting stuff working well in the engine though, just need to reverse engineer the water particles in the advanced course example to figure out how to do the waterfall!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update today! I am pretty much finished adding models and such to the scene; my efforts are now focused on texturing and lighting. I recreated and tweaked some of the particle examples to add some life to the water and am pretty happy with the way it turned out :) All the textures are a WIP at this point, and I may be playing with some of the hard/soft edges as I decide the exact style I want the scene to have. Here is a screenshot out of vForge of what I have so far.
    g7rxC44.jpg

The shadows are looking a little jagged at the moment, not exactly sure of the cause. I tried using both AUTO lightmaps and bringing in my own UVs as well. The Lightmap PageID is set to -1 as well. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!
  • RianShelton
    Offline / Send Message
    RianShelton polycounter lvl 6
    Bcarter, this is turning out really nice, as far as light map issues go, not sure? I'm sure you are, but if you take your textures a bit further this could be great. Also, really try and sell the water, keep it up!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rian thanks for the crit! Yes my textures still definitely need some work.

Okay, so I took this back into Maya and with the extended deadline have slightly expanded it to be wider and more vertical. It doesnt seem as cramped now, and I have made an actual land bridge for the grass which helps make it seem more natural. Hopefully you will be able to see the waterfall better from the bottom of the course. The stego and leo are both larger in scale as well. The animation is still working for the leo to bite the ball, and hopefully I will be able to implement some blinking dino eyes in both of the larger ones!
    zoOTxHC.jpg
    1QNA9r9.jpg

Looks like now I mainly just need to focus on my textures like crazy. The grass, rocks and stego are allmost at a finished point, but everything else needs some love! And don't worry about the lighting, since these are just screenshots from maya.

Excited to finish this up!
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Last little teaser before my final entry later today!
    QYgV8Nx.jpg
  • bcarter
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my final submission! Thanks for everyone's input and good luck to everyone else who entered the contest!! :)

Total Tri Count: 22,453

Beauty Shots:
    sdnTgqN.jpg

2t98dSq.jpg

Textures:
    azAseKJ.jpg

Technical Shots:
    Cxr6P3p.jpg

iEWiBOl.jpg

0mSVI2v.jpg

Video Playthrough:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGbQ9veZlH0"]DinoPutt playthrough - YouTube[/ame]