Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - Hamster!

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Shiv polycounter lvl 15
TerryBall_01.JPG

I am going to make a golf course involving a hamster and his lil cage.
Love Joe ledbetters style - http://www.joeledbetter.com/ so it will be leaning on this heavily.

Started with the ball :)

Replies

• Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Shiv,
    Love the ball :) just remember to keep it the same size as the reference files, and it should have no issue. Then just replace the ball .model file with this exported as a model
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Cool idea dude. Big fan of Joe.L too.

His vinyl work dominates my studio desk :)

All the best!
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    haha, nice one, loving the hamster already!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=POV2WIVrEQ8[/ame]

Done... I dont think there is anymore to do, been giggling for a few minutes just poking my little hamster ball around XD.
    Ok, scene blockout time :D

I did tweak the camera tho, brought it riiigghhttt in, going for a closer up approach i think.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!

Just a note I would make the hamster ball the same size as the reference ball as sizing is important. You can adjust the camera distances all you want :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, it's the same size :)
    I also only swapped out the model file as you suggested so the collision should be fine, i looked and it seems to be in order.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    loving this, though it seems pretty hard with the ears and tooth and such sticking out,
    maybe there is a way to make the collision of the ball just a ball instead of the hamster model?
    could be part of the gag ofcourse! xP
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is very possible to make the ball have a sphere rigid body by selecting the ball then going to components tab, and selecting the rigid body, all you have to do from there is change the collision type to sphere.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys :).
    The ball is the same scale as the original file and its using the sphere collision, the collision issues seem to be created a long the edge of long thin triangles so will be cleaning that up in the collision - near the end :o. On better geo it rolls as smooth as anything :)

Blockout_1.JPG
    Blockout is in flat lit, because thats where i want to end up eventually... so more accurate colours. The lit grey is just mesh blocking... playing with ideas :)

Put a bit more time into the blockout, got distracted setting up a nice work environment for updating meshes and textures - the textures update in the editor as I work on them, so nice :D. Photoshop generate is awesum, even managed to get alpha into it.
    Hopefully have more of the blockout ironed out tommorow some time :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv,
    Looking cool glad you got everything in the engine and working :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    xVyoSl.jpg

Blockout_2.JPG
    Working on the blockout, slow progress on a busy weekend.
    Trying to figure out how to take the style, dont know if I have overcomplicated it :\

Also! I dont seem to be able to get un-filtered textures to work, they always come out that same blury blerg. I have tweaked the shader stuff but it is still happening :c
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv,
    You can go to the asset browser select all the textures you dont want to mipmap and then right click -> asset properties. Then fromt here change the template to custom and go to the dx9 profile and set mipmap to none.

-Ryan
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks man, will fiddle with it some more tommorow.
    Doodling about with bits in the scene, I should really finish the blockout and course before starting this stuff... but still trying to nail down the style, not sure about it.
    There is some more clutter in the max scene I need to get in.

Blockout_3.JPG
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I'm loving that texture style dude! Keep it going :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDtTxQxN2KU"]rolling my balls to the end of the route - YouTube[/ame]

Trying to finalise the blockout (heh finalise :|)

Just wondering what people think of it so far, the ball should respond better near the end when i go through and make the collision work with the engine better, tis just mesh atm.

Then ALLL the texturing and populating :D

Edit: wow... that is not clear :|... it ends in a fort heh!

Not as cool a blockout as the floating islands XD
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The start seems pretty hard to navigate.
    The end with the boxes will benefit from visual queues for where to go next due to the camera being so close in.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    The start seems pretty hard to navigate.
    The end with the boxes will benefit from visual queues for where to go next due to the camera being so close in.

That is what the zoom function (z) is for you can help plan your next shot.
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    this just keeps getting better! xP
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOQEpCWa99M"]Rolly - YouTube[/ame]

Worked some more into the scene, kind of just adding random bits. I couldnt get the texture filtering stuff to work, the pixel shader just seems to reset itself everytime i close the window and i cant find out how to lock it in, not a massive deal atm i guess, would just help crisp up a few lines.

Also need to clean up the direction of travel still after the comments.

Also collision is still fubar, need to get on that custom collision train to clean it up.
    Also need to remember to add the finish hole :x
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv,
    If you change around the shaders assigned to the materials then in the material editor panel you need to click the blue floppy disk and then click save material settings.

Also on your mesh did you turn welding to anitclockwise?

-Ryan
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Slow update, feels like i have vomited rainbows allover the screen, I dont think its so bad in the context but from a scene view... colours everywhere :|

Mangled Poly - Thanks man, will have another fiddle with it, I am pretty sure I did those, probably missed something :c
    Yep, mesh welding is anticlockwise, going to add the barriers tommorow then add some simpler collision to hopefully help that... then post another video! :)

Main_1.JPG
    Main_1b.JPG
    Main_1c.JPG
    Second shot is max, feels so much sharper.

I hate the cans at the moment, they are either getting tweaked or removed, I have texture space so probably just re-textured.
    The fort is nearly done, mostly tweaks, the bins colours are waayy too strong, popcorn wasnt working for me.
    If i cant get the nearest falloff working i am going to change the cloth in the fort as it doesnt work when getting blurry, same for a few other bits, will probably spend the last couple of days using up remaining texture space on bits anyway.
    Added signs and visual cue's (thanks Vailias), the signs seem a bit blunt atm so will think about ways to improve those, I quite like the carpet to lead the eye, but that may be a bit heavy as well.

uummm, i think thats it. Really need to just get working and tightening it up, deadlines a comin.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, for "vomited rainbows" that is beautiful. I'd play a whole game if it had your theme and design. Can't wait to see the final version.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Haha, this has so much flavor, it totally reminds me of an early 2000's zany japanese indie game or something. Can't wait to see a playthrough of the course.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Got a lot style in those textures, I know what you mean about Japanese indie! really interesting design too, I look forward to the finished piece.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks so much guys :)
    Here is a (all be it low quality) video of current progress
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=kESzypszXDA[/ame]

Built custom collision for the scene, so I can now forget about that largely and just build everything else out.
    Its not quite there but seems to be smooth enough now on most runs. Sometimes still getting stuck on odd bits of geo, going to test the original ball file at some point tommorow to see if thats the issue (should have done that earlier heh :c

Um, housemate suggested some kind of finishline flag towards the end, going to try that tommorow... then i guess apart from maybe messing up the carpet a bit i can just start polishing like crazy and doing different bits i want to try with it :)
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    That's very cool! I wasn't sure from the screenshots at the beginning but the video really sold it to me. I really like the little river with the made up crocos and the fence made out of pencils!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yeah, you really pulled this together, when i intially say the idea i wasnt sure if the player was going to know where to go, but the use of blutac, pencils and elastic bands has come to the rescue :) Really nice style you got going on as well.
  • ufo.mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ufo.mesh polycounter lvl 13
    Great work, man! Love it!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwah this turned out so good! Great job!
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Ah super cool stuff dude! Great entry!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is fantastic! Love the cardboard cut outs of the clouds.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks so much guys :), just got to polish polish till deadline I think. I still have tons of texture space to use :\

I fixed the collision for a bit! it was silky smooth, need to figure out what I broke after, might just be a case of resetting the col.mesh and re-importing it.
    Watched all of Mangled's awesome vids again a couple of times, was busy animating away and decided to make the draw bridge animated:D need to clean up the area around it but I think its super cool :D

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBcEc1w-Gac[/ame]
    Again, sorry about the video quality, need to figure out how to fix that :( - - - also, why did youtube cut my video off so early -_-....
    arf, will polish and post up my final on saturday i think. Good luck to everyone :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome glad the video helped :)

Somehow this reminds me of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kgjkth6BRRY#t=151
  • vtrmoura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, really nice work, love the animation and style!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Copy pasta from submittance
    Shiv - Hamster!

Beauty Shot 1 -
    BeautyShot_1.png

Beauty Shot 2 -
    BeautyShot_2.png

Technical -
    technical%20shot.png

Texture Breakdown -
    Texture_Breakdown.png

Vid -
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9NXDLbc9qI[/ame]

Had a ton of fun on this competition, would probably take it in a different direction if I was to start again now but this has been cool.
    Thanks so much for everyones crits and help, there are some really cool entries.

Bed time :D