Home Contests & Challenges Archives

GOLF - When in Rome

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Sharvo keyframe
My initial idea is to do an Ancient Rome inspired hole. Taking you through the sites of the city. I haven't looked at the tutorials yet, but I hope to have the city as if it was sieged so fire and damage all over the place in a cartoonish style. Some concepts to follow I think... For now just a little title idea.

whenInRome.jpg

Replies

• Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    So have a very quick blockout for you not much really to say at the moment. I am hoping to have various routes for the player to take and explore the delights of Rome around the year 100AD. Showing of the senate, colloseum, pantheon, barracks and other bits and bobs.

WIP_001.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    So, I haven't had too much time on this! Which is a shame as I really like the competition and the other entries are really great from what I have seen.

I have finally got what I have in engine basically the end of the hole is when you put it into the Pantheon.

Model wise I still need a few variations of houses, another tree or two, doors, windows, rubble and misc. stuff.

I then need to work on the textures a bit more and make sure I don't go over the limit!

ScreenShot.png
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Major update! Nice work man :)
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Thanks!!! Havent done as much as i wanted to by this stage and i am not sure on my colours for the environment. I was hoping to do some fire and smoke is this possible to do, i have checked out the windmill level for some ideas but i just couldnt tell what to do, i think it is to do with the xml?

Just starting to create buildings now to go along the course. Also having some trouble with meshes that i have flipped (via scale in maya so they are -1) which then makes my normals the wrong way i flipped them but they then have dodgy lightmaps? Will take more screenshots if required maybe this evening tomorrow. If worse comes to worse i will just remodel it wont take too long
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    So have done a qick paintiver of where i want to take this, so i can visually see what to do. I have also created some quick blockouts for the houses that i will hopefully put in the engine tonight or tomorrow, will still need a few more to do, but should be doable.

So list of stuff to create;
    Tree of some kind
    House blocks x 3
    Aqueduct
    Rubble x 2
    Crate
    Barrel
    Barricade
    Washing line x 2
    Bunting

If time -
    statue
    flowers
    grass
    damaged house x2

Plus relevant textures...

Also want to find out about particles would love to have GOD RAYS, mist, smoke and fire. Dont know how feasible that all is.

Plus some vertex colouring, i did a test with a shader, but did not like the results. How can i multiply a diffuse with vertex colour and adjust the amount the vertex colour has produced, plus allow the fog to still effect it.

goldCoursePaintover_002.png
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Sharvo wrote: »
    Plus some vertex colouring, i did a test with a shader, but did not like the results. How can i multiply a diffuse with vertex colour and adjust the amount the vertex colour has produced, plus allow the fog to still effect it.

I actually wanted to do the opposite (have colours not be affected by the fog). For your shader, make sure you have a lighting node in there, if you don't have it before your rgb output, fog won't affect it.

For the blending the vertex colours by a certain amount (I'm sure there is a simpler way to do this) I would feed each channel of the vertex colour into a lerp channel, which would blend between a min and a max scalar value (black or white) which basically set the levels of each channel, then combine those with a vector assembler node which I would multiply by some sort of scalar (if you don't just want it to darken everything) then multiply that over your diffuse texture.

Hopefully my shoddy shader explanation doesn't confuse :P
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    No i think i get what you mean :) i will once again try and test this at some point tonight/tomorrow as the deadline is looming and i have a long way to go before i am happy with what i have...

Had a bit of time though during lunch to work on this and have created some rubble objects and some building blocks for houses etc. Will post some screens tonight hopefully.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Just wanted to say thanks got the vertex up and running will do it at the end of the project. Have been doing some decal and testing today of God rays and have started some of the other assets will put some images up tomorrow as I am away from the computer. Any feedback will be welcome.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    So starting to get somewhere now, have added a few bits in, still have a fair bit to go however. With not much spare time left to work on this, which is a bit worrying. I have also hit the 1024 pixel mark with about 64 by 64 left for some small props!!! Should be doable.

Anyways a picture of where I am...

ScreenShot_1.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Small update again, I have around 3000 polys left before I hit the limit. But all assets are created now its just a case of optimizing a few and tweaking a few to get some variants, especially for buildings. Textures also need some love, which will be done this week. Then its just a bit of final polish, with effects/shaders and lighting. As I am finding the lighting quite tricky at the moment.

An image to show what's happened :)

ScreenShot1.png
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sharvo, the particle system I used is called "thick smoke", but if you adjust the colors and slow down the timing it makes a pretty convincing fog. Left as is, it is a really nice thick black smoke. I found it via the particle editor layout. Clicking the "open a particle effect" button pulls up the library of included effects.

Let me know if you still can't find it and I will post some screenshots.
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, hey you called in bunting like 3 days ago now. I'm not even going to try to compete, lol, seeing your modelling and texturing. I really thought I had a temple beater with that.
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Holy shiz!!!
    Thats going to be awesome
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Thanks for the kind words people. Have been fighting off some man flu, but have had some time to look into a few things and get some help from people.

But just want to say if you have any crits on the map i would really appreciate it as i only have tonight to work on this as i am away from then and not sure if i will be able to do much.

I will be doing some final colour corrections, collisions, texture fixing and making up my beauty shots, technical and hopefully a video. I havent done video capture before, but think i will use Open Broadcaster Software as that looks the easiest and was spoken about in the Q&A.

I feel the mid/background is a bit empty at the moment though i was thinking of adding some hills in with my remaining poly budget, but not sure.

As said any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Grindy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    For the video capture, I never did it before and I could do it with Camtasia's trial in under 15 minutes. When you open the program there's a video tutorial that starts immediately, tells you most of what you need right out of the box.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hey all,

Im having a problem in maya or I am doing something a bit wrong but I cant edit my mesh to allow it for collision should I have a ok box to allow me to say what it is?

bug.jpg
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it changes it soon as you change the property on it i believe the values are automatically applied

Also for collision you want to change as from default to colmesh

-Ryan
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Cheers Ryan, got a bit worried I wasn't going to get it to set up :)
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can always verify as it adds an attribute to the mesh :)
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hmmm, I see it now. However, I changed it from default and it then goes invisible in the engine? But the collision is there?

I also tried duplicating the mesh and having one as static and one as collision but that hasn't changed anything?
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Well hers my latest still have some issues but let me know what you think...

textureMaps.jpg

technicalBreakdown_002.png

technicalBreakdown.png

screenshot_007.png

screenshot_005.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Apologise for last night with bombarding my thread with minor updates was getting worried about collision, which has now been sorted so the golf course works correctly. I reckon i might be able to get an hour in this evening so i can do my final submission and a video. Hopefully at lunch today i will get a smoke trail and some fog done, which i can then take home with me. Which will prob be a static fog/smoke with maybe some radial effect to give an illusion of movement. Unless....

I can use use the in engine smoke effects, but wasnt sure if this affected my polygon limit as i assume that would take it over and my texture limit! If i am allowed to please let me know.

As of that i am pleased with what i have achieved in the time frame, grateful for this last week and i think everyone is, as we have really pushed it this week.

But here is an image of where i would like it to be when it is finished... Now looking at my colour choices i think i should have gone for a bit more of a brown feel? So may try and change that as well.

screenshotPaintover_005.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Well that's it, didn't get everything in that I would have liked to, but I cant do much about it now as I am away now! See the final submissions for my entry :)
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    *Tips hat* well done sir
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Well, I noticed everyone else has put there finals on there thread so thought I should do the same :) It has been a great competition, with great advice from various people and the opportunity to work in a new engine and to regulations that I haven't really done before.

I have entered polycount competitions before, but have never got to the end of one, but I have finally succeeded. Might be that I love a bit of mini golf :) but who doesn't. The competition has been fantastic and there are some amazing entries. As my wife said, 'well done, its not about the winning its about taking part, learning new techniques and having something that you are pleased with at the end of it' and I hope everyone else can feel like that!

However, as an artist I always think I can do better and improve, I would have loved to get a bit more atmosphere in the piece, I think that is really lacking at the moment. I envisioned a big siege going on with fires and smoke but time and understanding pushed it away and I wanted to make sure the level was playable and not just look nice as at the end of the day when you play mini golf its the playability which I feel is key. I wasted a few polies in areas such as the aqueduct, but I did stay in budget.
    I think I could have thought a bit more about the playability of the hole and the crazy/mini golf side of things. Instead of the three lane system, I could have just had the one and concentrated on that and polished it up real nice, but then again I guess the three lane gives the player the opportunity to try different tactics to beat there score, which I also tried to allow. To allow the player to make decisions on the best possible route and see the obstacles that are in there way.

Any way enough writing as I can go on all day :) but once again great job everyone!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypD_paZ5Ss"]Polycount When In Rome Golf Entry - YouTube[/ame]

Fianl_Screenshot_001.png

FinalScreenshot_002.png

TechnicalBreakdown_001.png

TechnicalBreakdown_002.png

textureMaps.jpg