Home General Discussion

Paranorman

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
Went to see it over the weekend and this movie is one of the prettiest movies i have seen in a while. Brave was pretty fancy... but i like this one visually a lot more! So much contrast in their bold colors. Dynamic style and their use of color is just superb. Really really worth the price of admission. Plus the story is awesome. This has to be one of my fav zombie movies of all time haha

00_normansStreetBG.jpg
paranorman_tv4_1080_20120802193814.jpg

and if you must... but i suggest you don't watch it. The trailer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NbtltCSpcU"]ParaNorman - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I am a huge stop motion animation fan. Before I got into 3d art that's what I wanted to do for a career. So I took my son to go see it Saturday morning. And we both loved it! The visuals are amazing! I loved the crookedness of the designs. And they did some things with the story that I didn't think they would do, but they did! Loved it!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How old is your son? I thought the movie was a little creepy and could be scary at times for kids. What did you think?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I absolutely love Coraline...I'm trying to find the time to get all my kids to see this one. it's tricky with a 9 month old, though...still a little young to take to the theater.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's 3, on the younger scale for sure. I wasn't going to take him, but we have a bin full of kids movies and last weekend I walked into the living room and saw him watching Nightmare before christmas which was accidentally placed in the bin. Honestly at first I was horrified, that movie has some freaky stuff in it. But he loved it and wouldn't stop talking about it.

So I read some reviews on paranorman and most of them mentioned that it wasn't a scary movie and was quiet funny. Figured it was safe to take him. Though it did end up having some scary jump moments, for the most part he was laughing like crazy. It had some very humorous moments and he loved it.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Overall all the kids around laughed... but i did think that most of the older people in the theater were laughing more often than not. Definitely some creepy parts. Specially towards the end it gets pretty wicked.

John Goodman does a fantastic job with his character tho.

Did you let him watch something like Coraline? do you find any comparisons between them, since they are the same producers and what not. I like Paranorman better... but Coraline was twisted.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I'd let him watch Coraline yet. It has a very scary and nightmarish tone to it, paranorman didn't have any hints of that at all. It felt fun even though it had zombies and some jump scares.

One thing I forgot to mention that I really loved. It felt like the 80's movies I watched as a kid. A group of kids that have no reason associating with each other banding together against the world. Very Goonies.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I've been hearing some very good things about Paranorman. I might have to set aside a little time one evening to go and check it out.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Just went to see it yesterday. It was amazing!!! Some shots are incredible. I was constantly amazed by the quality of the sets.

A must see in my book.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know..maybe i'm a terrible parent...I let my kids start watching nightmare before christmas before 2. My oldest's favorite movie at the time was Iron Giant, but every year we start busting out Nightmare around september and watch it pretty regularly til january or so...all christmasy and whatnot.
    I did let him watch Coraline at about 3 or so, and he loved it - but i think it did spook them a little. In my defense he was absolutely enthralled with 9 at the time and drew the little rag-dolls all day long. 9 was pretty scary as well and it didn't seem to bother him, so i figured it was safe.
    I know they'd love Abnorman, though. The two oldest (now 4 and 5) play zombies and take turns shambling after eachother. They also gang up and "eat" the baby - which he finds quite amusing.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as it doesn't scare him I don't have a problem with what he watches, I just don't want him awake in his room because of nightmares. He's a great sleeper and I certainly don't want to change that. And I thought Nightmare before christmas would give him nightmares, and it was the total opposite. If I have to hear 'Making Christmas' one more time I'll probably snap! :D

Though I'll take that over having 'cars' on repeat like a lot of his friends.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones wrote: »
    Though I'll take that over having 'cars' on repeat like a lot of his friends.

this. 1000x this. my nieces favorite movie was sleeping beauty for 2 or 3 years...the horror...the horror...

while i was watching Iron giant 2-3 times a day my brother-in-law was watching that.i win, sucker.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Trying too hard to shelter children from "scary" material can be a mistake. The world can be a very scary place sometimes, and learning to deal with fear is important to development. The important thing is to regulate media intake in order to avoid trauma, not scares. A few nightmares due to some effective, imagination-fueling scares is not so bad. Showing a 4-year old Hostel or other Eli Roth fare is quite obviously not the right approach.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good point. my 5 year old draws the most amusing, spike covered gaping mawed monsters now. He absolutely loves the stuff - always fun to draw with him. His imagination is a beast of a machine already.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Loved it! Technically amazing and beautiful.