Home General Discussion

Enders Game

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
looks fun

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRizeR4MmU"]Ender's Game Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Harrison Ford Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The kids look too old
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    So much potential. Here's hoping they don't ruin it D:
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    For book readers:
    The battles with the aliens in the beginning? Why are we using fighter jets? Shouldn't that happen in space? That seems really weird and off. Are we to believe we went from fighter jet technology to interstellar spaceships that quickly?

I wish they hadn't showed the ending right before the title.

I don't mind the kids being older. Young kids cant act for shit.

I hope it's not too action heavy. I feel like the best interpretation of this movie would be more dramatic than your typical hollywood action flick.
  • AtlusZMH
    I agree with you aesir.. that last bit before the title was very stupid :P

I may need to re-read the book before this cames out.. Its been about 2 years since I read it last.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    yea aesier...wtf was that about. Way to frame the trailer in a way that misses the point...should have had the trailer emphasize the battle school aspect, not the war. I'm ok with the planes/jets though, because that's set up to seem like its a flashback to a first encounter or something (could be 100s of years prior to the story's beginning).
    Interesting thing I just thought of: how are they gonna handle the siblings back on earth (Peter and....what was the girl's name?), now that the idea of someone on the internet changing ANYONE'S mind about ANYTHING seems so hilariously quaint?
  • murph
    Harrison Ford sounded like he was falling asleep while he was reading those lines....

My guess is it will only be O.K. I'll love it no matter what, though.. I've been waiting for it since I was like 14.
  • Paradan
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    The kids look too old

sign of the times.

Daenerys was like 15 in the books, I was really disappointed with HBO, thought they had more balls.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea aesier...wtf was that about. Way to frame the trailer in a way that misses the point...should have had the trailer emphasize the battle school aspect, not the war. I'm ok with the planes/jets though, because that's set up to seem like its a flashback to a first encounter or something (could be 100s of years prior to the story's beginning).
    Interesting thing I just thought of: how are they gonna handle the siblings back on earth (Peter and....what was the girl's name?), now that the idea of someone on the internet changing ANYONE'S mind about ANYTHING seems so hilariously quaint?
    Yea dude, apparently they're completely cutting the story of his brother and sister and how they try to gain political power over the net. They'll still exist, just not have that side story. They said they did it so the movie wouldn't be 4 hours long. I kind of get that.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hm I think I'll try something new. I'm going to avoid all trailers before I see this movie. I'll even avert my eyes from the posters. Might be interesting to walk into a movie and not know what to expect :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Paradan wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with HBO, thought they had more balls.

And show a nude 15yr old? Yeah....balls.

Anyways, this trailer looks kinda bland. Nothing at all about it is grabbing me. I know of the book and I hear nothing but great things about it. But this movie must not do it justice because it looks like a very generic scifi film. This doesn't even hold up to Starship Troopers yet, imo.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    sign of the times.

Daenerys was like 15 in the books, I was really disappointed with HBO, thought they had more balls.

Yeah... I was a little relieved. I don't want to see a 15 year olds boob poking out of a dress. :thumbup:
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Absolutely love the book series, looking forward to the movie! Never been a big book/movie snob and care to much if the movie is not exactly like the book. I mean it never can be. A movie is there to entertain for 2 hours where a book is a long journey and generally you are inside the head of a character that can never be portrayed on film. I would always rather have a movie version of a book I like so I can get a great/new and unique vision of what I read and imagined when I read the thing. And it just gives you a little more of that universe :)

Harrison Ford seems to old to do shit anymore though.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    This was one of the best books i've ever read, so I really hope they can bring its potential to life!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    the trailer looked dumb in my opinion, but I didn't read the book.
  • Xendance
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    The kids look too old

This is coming from someone who hasn't read the book: Oh god I hate child actors.
  • Paradan
    so are they totally ignoring the computer game that he played, that ends up being a major deal and leads into the next book.
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I can't imagine hollywood making a Speaker for the Dead anyway. The lack of intense action in this book and its focus on human and interspecies relations in a small society doesn't seem compatible with hollywood's approach to making SF films.

And since this Ender's game adaptation seems full of pompeous epic scenes, people who didn't read books would expect even more of that crap in the sequel.
    So it would be Speaker for the Dead in name only (well, I imagine they would change the name too).

It would be cool if some more individualistic director gave the book a try someday though.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    sign of the times.

13 actually :P
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    sign of the times.

13 when she married Drogo, there was no way in hell they were ever going to have an actress that young.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    One thing I'm most excitd about is that Orson Scott said this movie will be a fusion of both 'Enders Game' and 'Enders Shadow' books. So we'll see plenty of Bean and Ender's relationship.
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    This is great! Easily one of my most favourite childhood books. Even with some of the things you guys brought up, I'm still pretty excited for it. I might even reread it now.
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Aw man, I'm sure i'll be satisfied no matter what because i've been waiting like..forever for the movie release. I can't lie though - I am hoping this movie doesn't completely destroy everything I imagined visually from the books. I own all of OSC's books and the Ender's series has always been a huge part of my life. Here's to hoping!
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Yea dude, apparently they're completely cutting the story of his brother and sister and how they try to gain political power over the net.
    You're speaking of Shadow of the Hegemon. It's not part of Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow, it is its own separate book, and a very good one at that. Peter, his older brother, is an interesting character and his sister Valentine is really the yang to his ying.

I hadn't heard the rumor they are combining Ender's Shadow with Ender's Game. This kind of excites me since I -really- like Bean's character and loved his book, but at that same time, not giving it the proper movie treatment seems wrong for such a strong story and character. Meh.

Overall impression of the trailer: Meh. If Harrison Ford wasn't dead while reading his lines, I would have given it a Meh+. And for those crying about the spoiler at the end, it is but it isn't one. There's more to it, and it's not the very end. I'll leave it at that.

Hollywood seems to be doing a half baked approach to this movie and in the process trying to give it some sort of action tone. It's not an action book. It's a story of humanities struggle to stay alive and it's attempt to do so by sacrificing a kids childhood for the sake of humanity. Like Hunger Games, much of it happens inside of Ender's head with his thought processes, so it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out on screen. From what I saw in Hunger Games, it could work, but it's not going to be nearly as powerful as reading it. I guess that's what I'm bracing myself for. That, and Harrison Ford sucking as Graff.

EDIT: I would love to see a Xenocide movie. Just saying.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    i'll remain optimistic but this looks like they're playing it safe, with all the cgi and the 'epic' looking school battle scenes. I mean this is from the director of Wolverine...

Butterfield is perfectly cast, I just wish they caught him while he was doing Hugo (zzzzzz).