Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gears Inspired Soldier

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
Hey dudes! I'm a big fan of the gears art style so I wanted to give it a shot. My biggest difficulty are those dang pants folds.

I'd love to know what you think so far!

tu11w.jpg

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    This is looking cool so far, although the arm anatomy is a little strange in parts. For the cloth folds I'd say look up images of cargo pants, etc. on the net, - even take pictures from several angles of yourself wearing cargo pants if you can for good reference!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! Crit was spot on. Tried working on it a bit more. Did a bit of polypainting also.
  • SurrealPsychedelic
    You got the idea down, but the legs are pretty short.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks like a very good concept mesh. There are parts of the armor that follow the body which would be nice to see in other bits as well.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I really like this character! Can't wait to see some more detail on this guy!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good so far. I think you've nailed the masses of the wrinkles but the actual placement and flow is pretty random. They should be draping more below the pockets and then bunch up toward the back of the knee where there would be a lot of bending of the fabric.

The shape of his torso armor looks a bit odd and kind of feminine. The waist being pretty thin in comparison to the round bits doesn't look tough to me and makes the round bits seem like boobs. If you check out the actual gears characters, the overall armor is pretty bulky and the circles sit flush with most of it. Actually, since I did go and look, the shapes you have are pretty similar to the shapes on the female COG armor. I'd suggest making the armor generally wider around the waist.

You're definitely on the right track. Keep it up.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Wow thanks a ton guys!

Frump you are definitely right. I was mainly referencing Anya's armor from Gears 3. I like the shapes of it but I can see now that the boob compartments probably don't fit him that well haha. Going to try to work on the shape some more before getting him lowpoly'd.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Got it baked and blocking out colors now. Everything is masked so I can change it easily if something's not working. Head was being a major pain. Think I'm going to redesign it. He's around 6k tris.
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of the armor the UIR soldiers wear.

http://GearsofWarcover17.jpg
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looking epic man, I seriously love this style. One thing that I would play around with possibly is introducing some kind of elements to not make him completely symmetrical. Obviously once you add some more grunge to the armor and such, that will break things up a little nicer, but I'm thinking maybe experiment with destroying parts of his armor to really show that he has been in some scuffs. Right now, he looks a little clean for me, but if that is the style that you are going for. If so, then you've got a great start already!

Maybe you should give him a tatoo or something? Idk, I'm just brainstorming some ideas that would really add some more life to this character. You really want to have the armor tell something about the character, and show bits and pieces of stories and events that happened in his gear. If things are too generic then you'll run the risk of making him appear more like an NPC...I know you've got him all baked out and everything, but it might be worth trying.

I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this thread, cannot wait to see more!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Ha, I've never seen those guys but they have pretty sweet armor. I'm looking to redesign the helmet so I might take a few notes from them. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Dark! Definitely need to break him up the symmetry a bit. The arms and pants are the only parts not mirrored over so I can't bang it up too much. I think a tattoo would be a good idea ala Carmine from gears 3. I'm torn a bit between a helmet or going bare for his head. I'm thinking I can make whatever I go with pretty unique to help break symmetry also.

I'm having a lot of trouble with material definition. I'd really like to focus on it for this project so if anyone has some tips I'd really appreciate it! Still a bunch to work on.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    material definition can come from specular/gloss levels and detail, your diffuse work is beautiful so i'm sure your specular work will be also. You just need to observe real life materials and work out how light interacts with it. If u can use SSS on skin you're made.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks Rav! Tried getting some SSS in there.

So pretty close to calling him done. Need to fix a couple more things still. Any last minute suggestions?
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Nice :)

Maybe some more subdivisions to the torn canvas style cloth? Possibly a bit more uneven with the tear too.

Arms seem a tad short, but maybe that's the pose playing tricks on me.
    Pronounce some of the veins on the arms more, especially one running up the bicep and running down the forearm (as well as forking outward towards the inner elbow.

Some more colour variation on the actual blue-ish regions, especially the breast plates, looking very flat at the moment.

Looking really solid though, going to be great when it's all together :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Electro! Tried working on your suggestions. Calling the body finished now.

turnaroundd.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    DAMN those pants turned out nice!
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i love the color scheme :D
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    really nice! i love the design of the boots!
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, loving it :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    way too much colour in this! needs more dark greys... dark browns...dark dark browns and dark dark greens....

Jokes aside, looks awesome :P
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is coming along nicely. I like the color scheme.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks dudes. I didn't follow the gears color scheme too closely. Not sure if that was a mistake. Don't have much time but plan to rework the helmet as it baked pretty terribly.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I look back at this thread it just gets more and more awesome!!!!! The one thing that I will tell you, LRoy is that this is kinda not really looking very Gears of War-ish. HOWEVER! This is not a bad thing in the slightest! To me, it is really looking a lot like the characters that are in Firefall. Your style is totally matching up with some of the characters that I've seen for this game. Check out this website, and look at some of the trailers for Firefall if you want to get even more reference!

http://firefallthegame.com/game

Keep up the good work here, dood this guy is gonna be EPIC!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Hey it's Firefall! :)
    I would put more dirt on the back of the jeans, I guess the guy will sit down quite often to rest a bit. Maybe more dirt on the front of the feet too, he runs a lot and kick some stuffs on the road.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    my main concern is that none of the materials have any specularity at all, so i can't tell what the materials are supposed to be other than just flat colors with generic grunge. is the body armor metal, plastic, or some sort of strange concrete? it's essential that you figure out how your materials are made up and that you define your basic materials first using flat colors on all your maps together before going in and adding wear. is it bare metal? paint over bare metal? clearcoat over paint over bare metal? these are things you need to figure out before you go adding wear blindly.

without proper specularity and base materials to work from, the asset will just look flat and boring in motion, that's why i'm saying go back a couple steps and get some activity going in those materials!

here is what i mean by defining materials with just flat colors first. notice how the materials all read just fine without any kind of overlays or wear:

materialblockout.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Pants look ace!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    One thing is bugging me, and it's really minor, but... The shirt under his armor looks like a worn out burlap sack. It doesn't make much sense to have awesome armor and some nice jeans but a rough sack for a shirt. It probably looks that way because the threading is so large and visible.

I also definitely second what Racer445 said. :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks dudes! Firefall looks awesome! I hadn't heard of it before.

Tried working on the materials when I had some time.

gearscu.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks racer! I made a bunch of changes based off your suggestions. Will post a texture update once I get the new head baked down. I ditched the old helmet as it was pretty fubar.

headqq.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Great Suggestions Racer! :)

The model looks great and the textures are really coming along! :)
    That bust is looking purddddy!! I find giving the ears as much a dynamic shape as possible really helps with the overall look, maybe you could try that
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! I'm having trouble deciding what type of material I should make the collar. The black rubber might work but I don't want to have his entire neck be black. I was thinking the same type of leather from his gloves might be ok, but i'm not sure.

Any suggestions guys?
  • Jenn0_Bing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jenn0_Bing polycounter lvl 7
    This looks like an awesome combination of Brink and GoW to me. I love the splash of colour in the armour and most importantly tonal contrast, exactly what GoW lacks in my opinion.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    What they lack in color they make up in awesome! After seeing all those character art dumps I wanted to change the title of this thread. Didn't want people to see those crazy models then look at mine haha.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Final turnaround! Gonna work on a pose now.

turnaround3.jpg