Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Mikael Hellberg, Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mikhga polycounter lvl 8
Hi!

As my internship at my current studio is almost over I am starting to look for work elsewhere, and I would just like some critique on my portfolio, on both site-functionality and what it currently lacks, so that I might have a better idea about what to create next as a portfolio piece. Unfortunately, I am unable to show any of the work I have done during my internship yet.

Regarding my old work, I know there is a lot of stuff I could have made better in hindsight, but unless there is something super critical you guys think I should fix, I would rather spend my time on making something new.

Portfolio link: http://www.mikaelhellberg.com

Thank you for looking!

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your portfolio site itself is very good. Fonts are good, its clean and the watermark is very well, presentation is good. nothing to change there in terms of graphic design. Just make the headliner not underlined. And I would make your "Logo" image on top with white text color, so it stands out against the usual text.

Your works are good, but its not amazing. You could step up your texturing a lot.
    The texture sheets you show on bottom look very basic and undetailed.
    Get some wear and tear, color variation, drybrushing and dirt on them.

Your environments are repetetive, and if you open them again and just do 2-3 more assets for the screenshot for each, that will step them up a Lot and will make them way more interesting. It looks like you made the minimum needed to sell the place.

If you refine the stuff you have a little each, it will be really presentable.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for your comment! I will try to implement those website changes as soon as possible. Regarding my textures, I agree they could use some more detail, but the main reason why they are so plain is because all of them are re-used heavily and I didn't want any obvious tiling.

I agree that my environments could use some more assets to give the more life, but I would rather spend that time creating a new environment, but I will definitely keep your advice in mind when creating my next portfolio piece.
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure where you are looking for work but Shrike is right on the money. Also the piece at the top I think is your worst piece, so you might want to remove that or give it a serious lighting/layout adjustment.

Also, since you are doing this all in UDK it would probably benefit you in your job search to include displacement on your assets. Gotta stay relevant!
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the advice, I am currently looking for work pretty much everywhere, but mainly in Europe. I can't really say I agree with you about the top piece being my worst, but I will take it into consideration, and maybe replace it when I get my next piece done.

About the displacement, I'll see if I can find some use for it during my current portfolio piece.