Home General Discussion

Phantom Pain/ Metal Gear Solid 5

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    why not? i am happy about Keifer being part of the cast now... but David Hayter is a good VO for Snake and Big Boss...

Non the less, i am very very excited to see this game. It was so spooky and creepy. Hope it outdoes MGS3.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it's all just too barmy for me at this point. Flaming unicorn chases... goddamn. Must be the only one who remembers the greatness of MGS1 and what made it so great. There were fantastical elements to MGS1 but they were tied to real life things, like Russia/America's Psychic Warfare programs and native peoples belief in re-incarnation. Now it seems Kojima is just doing crazy shit for the sake of it.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huh???

Contrary to what Kojima said during the GDC panel today, Konami has confirmed with Joystiq that Ground Zeroes and Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain are indeed separate games.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/27/david-hayter-says-he-wasnt-asked-to-voice-metal-gear-solid-5/

maybe it will still be a vita game in there somewhere. woots.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I dunno ... the way it was phrased during the talk made it sound more like Ground Zeroes is a prologue, and Phantom Pain the actual meat of the game - similarly to the Carrier and the Plant missions in MGS2. They were even playable independently from each other.

Also - Wouldn't it make sense for Haytier to voice ... Liquid ? While it is obvious that Ground Zeroes revolves around Big Boss, the rest of the game could very well be taking place much later in the timeline after the twin Snakes are cloned into existence. And Liquid is supposed to carry all the bad genes so that's bound to be painful right ? That would also justify Yoshi Shinkawa's contribution to the game. Because so far none of what has been presented is showing is signature style.

Also, i thought it was strange that the panelists were referring to the main character as Snake instead of Big Boss. By that time (well after peace walker) he's not Naked Snake anymore ...

Also, is there a link between Chico and Raiden ?
  • The Mad Artist
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/kojima-explains-metal-gear-solid-5s-mogren-fakeout-hayters/

Very cool interview with Kojima. I have faith that this will be a cool game. :D
  • CrazyMatt
  • moose
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    At first I was upset...........then I realized this is probably for the best. Big Boss ISN'T Snake anymore. And what if Solid meets up with Big Boss in a sequel down the road? Hayter can't voice both of them! Either way I am excited for one of the greatest franchises of all time to blow me away again
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Hayter should have never been big boss to begin with. And he's only been voicing what, 6-7 games? He had his run, change is good.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats for sure then? I thought Kojima said that they would disclose some of this info at E3. Even David Hayter Tweeted some stuff about it. o_O

I like Keifer. So thats cool with me. but i like Hayter as well. Torn here now. ~_~
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I think Kojima knows that videogame fans are the easiest people on earth to rile up.
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I feel like Kojima is still trolling us, and Hayter's twitter rants are just smart ploys to lead us all along. Well i hope so anyway :(
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal wrote: »
    I think Kojima knows that videogame fans are the easiest people on earth to rile up.

Metal Gear Solid 2
  • ILLMATICC
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, that basically. I don't for one second believe that Hayter is not involved somewhat.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Except one of the conspiracy theories is that Coke Classic was New Coke just rebranded. To me that makes me think that Sutherland is still going to be VA.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Oh I'm sure that Sutherland is going to be Big Boss/Naked Snake/Whatever hes called in this. But that doesn't mean that Hayter won't voice Solid or even Liquid (I know he had a different voice in MGS, but he and Solid ARE twins) in the future or in some shape or form in this game. The game takes place in 1984 (as far as we know, maybe it encompasses other times), and Solid and Liquid were born in 1972.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'd still be weird since Hayter already played Naked Snake in MGS3 and gave him a slight more gruff voice since he's the original big-boss. And in this one Sutherland could voice Naked Snake where he's older (less gruff?). Hayter could still voice the remaining Snakes EXCEPT Liquid, since Liquid has always had a more suave British voice so that would be even weirder.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://youtu.be/gEqmkduIeMU

It just leaves me speechless.... the scope and detail... its gonna be amazing.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hideo kojima is a damn star, everyone so proud mentioning him on twitter when he mention them or get in touch with them lol ....
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    this and destiny have rocked my world!!!!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put simply, I rike it.

Looks like I better actually play my damn $250 dollar copy of MGS4
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, that extended cut has some tough stuff in it.

Tactical choking action. :poly142:
  • Guedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Now I get it why Kojima said the game may be too risky to publish. It was about time to see mature games, in a sense of mature themes :D
    I can't wait to put my hands on it ! The wait is too much :(
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Finally, some tough shit to think of and deal with. Now we just wait for the naysayers to say it's all being done for shockvalue because games can never aspire to anything greater than braindead entertainment.

Colour me stoked as FUCK for this.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/lpco6n/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-e3-2013--kojima-interview

So Kojima mentions now that this will be released in ALL platforms, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, XBone and he mentions that they are developing MGSV on PC and that they are looking fwd to releasing this on PC!

So far, all of their demos, i feel like they are running on pc. I am curious to see the comparisons between consoles and then PC. I was looking fwd to picking this up on ps3... but as it stands, i might just pick it up on ps4 depending on the features and fidelity of the game between consoles.

Very interesting tho... and super ambitious. Specially for the size of the game he is talking about. Can't wait!!!
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This time I will get it special edition day 1. I've learned now that being an MGS fan can be costly.

Mature themes is good too. MGS3 let you step into the shoes of a hero and discover his motivations, this one will finally let you see how he became the villain and probably justifiably. That good storytelling there; I love it when stuff comes full-circle.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    This time I will get it special edition day 1. I've learned now that being an MGS fan can't be costly.

Mature themes is good too. MGS3 let you step into the shoes of a hero and discover his motivations, this one will finally let you see how he became the villain and probably justifiably. That good storytelling there; I love it when stuff comes full-circle.

It is costly... i have purchased those games over nad over. From ps1, to ps2 editions, to the subsistence and other special edition... to the HD collection on ps3, to HD versions on Vita, then my special edition of MGS4 and then re purchased MGS 1 on PSN store... holy crap.. lots of money. But they are worth it.

MGS 3 is by far my favorite. Followed by Peace Walker. Then prbly MGS1.

Also.. i want a game where you play as THe Boss. She would be epic character to learn more about.

Anyways... i am soooo hyped for this game.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    It is costly... i have purchased those games over nad over. From ps1, to ps2 editions, to the subsistence and other special edition... to the HD collection on ps3, to HD versions on Vita, then my special edition of MGS4 and then re purchased MGS 1 on PSN store... holy crap.. lots of money. But they are worth it.

MGS 3 is by far my favorite. Followed by Peace Walker. Then prbly MGS1.

Also.. i want a game where you play as THe Boss. She would be epic character to learn more about.

Anyways... i am soooo hyped for this game.

Oops, yeah I meant can be costly. I don't have as much gear as you but my MGS4 special cost me $250 on ebay (the only competing price was $1000) thanks to being only about 1000 released in australia with that wicked Snake figurine. I held off on buying it because I didn't have a PS3 at the time and thought there'd be an enhanced edition like subsistence for MGS4.

MGS3 is also my favourite, I've been meaning to play the remainder but I want to replay 3 in the HD collection and force my girlfriend to watch - she's not going to miss out on this important part of my life.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Snacuum : if you want to show it to your GF I would recommend the Subsistence edition for PS2 - it comes with a DVD disc with all the important gameplay segments and cutscenes edited together into a feature length movie. Easier to swallow than watching someone play through the whole actual game :D

Edit : actually, nevermind - it's all here ! Kinda fuzzy tho.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Rj-FcLRow"]Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Subsistence - Existence) Full Movie - YouTube[/ame]

(not sure why they changed the voice for the opening vignette !)
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior

I know, I already have it. It started because we watched movie versions of 1 and 2. I always play my MGS games at least twice and my next go at 3 was coming up so I didn't want to sit there with her and watch the game that I wanted to play so bad. She doesn't have to sit there the whole time, she can play it too.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • glottis8
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://metalgearsolid.nl/?p=9346

Quiet-3D-Model-1.jpg
    Quiet-3D-Model-5.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbPxvBbZAhs"][MGSV] Character making - Stefanie Joosten as Quiet (3D Scan and Motion Capture) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I've seen this model blow up all over the web today and was curious what everyone here thinks of it. There can't possibly be a practical reason that she needs to wear a bikini and stockings with COMBAT boots? Technically it looks well done but design-wise its just another character to put in the "Oh Japan....." pile IMO
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    raiden doesn't even need to wear clothes, taking it to the next level :P

raidentall.jpg
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^from now on everytime there is internet argument about her clothes , I will just need to show rayden, snake ( bigboss),and Kaz
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I've seen this model blow up all over the web today and was curious what everyone here thinks of it. There can't possibly be a practical reason that she needs to wear a bikini and stockings with COMBAT boots? Technically it looks well done but design-wise its just another character to put in the "Oh Japan....." pile IMO

dermal camo apparently -- sad/funny seeing the Halo dude calling the kettle black.

I was not impressed with Kojima's explanation of his motivation behind the designs, but then I thought MGS2 was garbage, and haven't played any Metal Gear game since. So more of the same?
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Cortana always seemed a silly design to me, this looks a bit silly out of context but I'm sure it will suit the character and game world fine. Metal gear has always been about femme fatales and slightly over sexualised designs. Like sniper wolf with her melons out in the freezing cold haha. My only concern is tan lines!!!!! And her legs are gonna get really hot in tights in the baking sun, poor girl haha. But seriously, she looks like a bad ass!!!!!

I like it, there's far worse out there, the more I look at it the more I like that he's not gone for a cheese wire thong or exploding chest and duck face. I get more that she enjoys killing and finds it almost sexual, and is extremely confident in herself, like many metal gear characters or even bond villains.

Will wait to see as I've built characters that look fine and then in game they are massive sluts or vice versa haha

All this from a guy who is sick of over sexualised characters haha
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe part of the characters personality and choices is that she wants to dress like that?...

Or can we only have fictional women who choose to dress less provocatively now to protect everyone's fee fees?

In any case the model itself looks really good. As everything else in the metal gear series it looks out of place on its own but weirdly fits together with the rest of the world.

I don't think I've ever actually questioned why anyone looks like they do in a Metal Gear game, it just.. seemed to make sense within the game. I guess I was too busy with the gameplay and story to get caught up in superficial bs.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Haha, wait, so she can't speak either? Half-naked and can't talk. Yeah... er... ok then.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    We know nothing about this characters motives yeah, so she can dress anyway she wants to. I do agree that it's not very practical or making a lot of sense. I don't really feel that she is over-sexualized either.

People barking over this stuff needs to get over it real quick I believe. It's not going away, just embrace that they want that kind of style. Like posted above, we ran around as naked raidens before doing cartwheels.

Raiden-mgs2.jpg

and we've been playing as Naked Snake which is pretty much most womens wet fantasy
    Naked_Snake.png

So yeah...naked upperbody and straps.

I just believe that this type of clothing-style goes well with the game. It's just what they do. They've done the complete opposite as well.

Remember Olga?

big-bosses-mgs2-olga.jpg

I bet most females gamers would pick Quiet over Olga in a MP-match. So yeah. People need to chill out for a second and just enjoy the game and its art for what it is.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Giant Flaming Space Whales Bro...
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dermal camo apparently

Yeah something like that. I'm surprised that conslusion hadn't immediately shut down the arguments/controversy. The pattern around her eyes fades in the trailer so it's pretty clear that she has some kind special skin ability and thus must show a lot of it to be effective. It's even more interesting when you consider that she is mute.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    And don't forget:

tumblr_mok6f7bXoK1rnuwgzo3_250.giftumblr_mok6f7bXoK1rnuwgzo4_400.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Compare the sexy men ratio to sexy women ratio in the metal gear series. Shirtless Snake is debatable, I'd say that's equal to a Woman in a tanktop. Game developers should be shooting to have that ratio equal across the sexes.

Yeah, I know I'm wasting my breath here, there's 10,000 half naked women posted to Polycount every day with no complaint but the one time someone posts a Yaoi-ish boy in a miniskirt to WAYWO, everyone flips their shit.

also, Bravo Dinosaur Facebook link
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum wrote: »
    dermal camo apparently

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx-M_B4KktI"]Metal Gear Solid V - Quiet and The End Blood-Related?! - YouTube[/ame] exactly
    if she has the same ability just like MGS3 "The End", her skin should be able to change color according to environment .
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid V - Quiet and The End Blood-Related?! - YouTube exactly
    if she has the same ability just like MGS3 "The End", her skin should be able to change color according to environment .

Oh that's really interesting. I only remembered The End's Photosynthesis suit. I would not at all be surprised if they are related. Also in terms of her mascara, I'm sure snipers would not want anything bright near their eyes while sniping.

Also, that footage of her being electrocuted, either she's mute because of that or that's even more sick since she can't confess anything!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably sums up the design decision. Although, less boobs and more traits of such examples with few extra seconds would have been nice so people won't go monkey bananas over the design. Though if that point wasn't made of her relation to MGS3's chameleon character sniper dude. Then yeah, the design does serve no purpose, and the rants of the public would appear absolutely valid in this regard.