Home General Discussion

Phantom Pain/ Metal Gear Solid 5

Replies

• ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Aw man can't wait for the release! getting perfect scores already as well lol.
    CNKil7JWUAA_2fD.png:large
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't have time to play you.

But I will.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    My first baby is due this week an I'm about to start four weeks of paternity leave. Am I going to have enough free time to play this?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Haha honestly god no. Of course all babies are different etc. But up all night, feeding every two hours, taking care of mama who just went through crazy physically traumatic stuff, who is learning to breast feed, doctors appointments every couple days. I mean all kids are different but good luck with that. I was never so exhausted and busy in my entire life as when my daughter was <6 months old.

Seriously though congrats, and best of luck and health to your wife and kid. It's easily the most amazing thing that a person can witness.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    ysalex wrote: »
    Haha honestly god no. Of course all babies are different etc. But up all night, feeding every two hours, taking care of mama who just went through crazy physically traumatic stuff, who is learning to breast feed, doctors appointments every couple days. I mean all kids are different but good luck with that. I was never so exhausted and busy in my entire life as when my daughter was <6 months old.

Seriously though congrats, and best of luck and health to your wife and kid. It's easily the most amazing thing that a person can witness.

Ha! Thank you and I'll consider myself prepared
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    biggest piece of advice for the first couple of weeks: sleep when the baby sleeps, don't try to work your own routine as usual, you'll die.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Why is no one talking about this game?

its major. Its epic. Nothing like it.

Some really crappy imgs of some of the stuff i just got.
    KEl8EzO.jpg
    ywhTZTl.jpg
    aQMePA6.jpg

Been playing this on PC, at 4K, running smooth. Its just breathtaking running at Max settings.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah really impressed so far, having no problems whatsoever with the PC port. Didn't even have to configure the PS3 controller I use.

Still on the beginning prologue part, it's a bit tedious, but visually it's quite stunning.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I love how silly it is from some of the Twitch streams I've watched.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Just got back from work and picking it up. Diving in now!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    god damn god damn i cant wait to play. i'm across the country and not near PS4... and dont have a controller for PC.. may need to go get one!! ahhhhhhh wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt

are you using a controller Glot? mouse/key?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Yeah really impressed so far, having no problems whatsoever with the PC port. Didn't even have to configure the PS3 controller I use.

Still on the beginning prologue part, it's a bit tedious, but visually it's quite stunning.

Wait there is a PC port? And can I actually plug in my ps3 controller?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ysalex wrote: »
    Wait there is a PC port? And can I actually plug in my ps3 controller?

It runs so well too, I'm only on a 660 but it's not even dipped below 60fps

I've been using my xbox one controller but I'd love to be able to use my ps3 or 4 controller.. doesn't seem to work out of the box (I don't have any controller software installed), gotta figure out how
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I dont know if i can wait, and may suffer through mouse and keyboard..... must... playyyyyy
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm getting it for my birthday in a couple of weeks, very excited.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I've been using my xbox one controller but I'd love to be able to use my ps3 or 4 controller.. doesn't seem to work out of the box (I don't have any controller software installed), gotta figure out how

Mine's generic, so maybe that's why. I usually always have to setup x360ce to get it working with games, http://www.x360ce.com/
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah this game is incredible. If there's a game that could revolutionize stealth then it would be from the MGS series (or more accurately, from the mind of Kojima-san)

The prologue alone was one of the best sequences I've ever seen in gaming and was more like a survival horror than tactical stealth action. I absolutely love how the scenes are 'filmed' as though someone is using a shoulder camera, they probably mocapped the 'cameraman'

The actual meat of the gameplay is flawless as well, roaming around the battlefield amassing materials, funds and 'recruiting' (kidnapping) soldiers for your private army then going back to mother base to survey it all. All very immersive
    Strongest contender for game of the year I imagine
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Hope you guys play MGO in oct, SEE MY ART
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Just bought it, totally looking forward to whats in store! Rather curious how well the multiplayer will play out.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah this game is incredible. If there's a game that could revolutionize stealth then it would be from the MGS series (or more accurately, from the mind of Kojima-san)

The prologue alone was one of the best sequences I've ever seen in gaming and was more like a survival horror than tactical stealth action. I absolutely love how the scenes are 'filmed' as though someone is using a shoulder camera, they probably mocapped the 'cameraman'

The actual meat of the gameplay is flawless as well, roaming around the battlefield amassing materials, funds and 'recruiting' (kidnapping) soldiers for your private army then going back to mother base to survey it all. All very immersive
    Strongest contender for game of the year I imagine

Yeah, this ^

I played about 4 hours last night and it is amazing. I love the freedom you have to approach things however you want. I finally had to stop playing because I realized I was in that mindset of "just one more mission.." that I haven't had since XCOM came out. You have your main task ahead of you, but you're thinking, hmmm, I could take that soldier, or that equipment, the entire time.

And for those that were worried that the codec stuff isn't there as much, no, you don't have huge codec calls or cutscenes every few minutes, (although the codec is a button away for quick intel on whatever is happening or you are looking at) but the story and those conversations that you are used to are told through cassette tapes that you get after critical path missions and such.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Runs like butter on an i7 4770, 8gb ram and 560ti (which is below the minimum).

As far as Metal Gears go, it's definately on the crazier supernatural side, but I suppose it would be just another (albeit damn good) stealth game otherwise. Definately worth buying!
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this ^

I played about 4 hours last night and it is amazing. I love the freedom you have to approach things however you want. I finally had to stop playing because I realized I was in that mindset of "just one more mission.." that I haven't had since XCOM came out. You have your main task ahead of you, but you're thinking, hmmm, I could take that soldier, or that equipment, the entire time.

And for those that were worried that the codec stuff isn't there as much, no, you don't have huge codec calls or cutscenes every few minutes, (although the codec is a button away for quick intel on whatever is happening or you are looking at) but the story and those conversations that you are used to are told through cassette tapes that you get after critical path missions and such.

Yeah, it's so damn addictive
    They slowly introduce you to more and more mechanics until you're whipping through your idroid sending people on missions and advancing the base
    I just did a mission that involved bolting around on the back of my horse trying to destroy as many enemy vehicles as possible, including C4 bridge traps, ambushes, stealing weapons and riding alongside a vehicle to try and take out the driver. It was absolutely manic, and every time I think I have a favourite mission the game throws an even more fun one at me
    I kind of like the new format on how to deliver the narrative. The codec call is a classic, but being able to listen to information on the fly as you wander around means you can be taking in the same amount of information without having to sit there not actually playing the game
    This game is so incredible and MGO isn't even out yet. Konami pls don't fuck that up, so far it's been great
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Production value is off the charts, open-world gameplay is really really good, awesome 360 design, just dominating the genre.

I'm equally super impressed and sad that they can just waltz in and dominate like that xD
  • alekseypindrus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alekseypindrus polycounter lvl 10
    bounchfx wrote: »

bounchfx, try this. Works here with Win 8.1, PS3 controller and Bluetooth adapter. Don't bother with MotionJoy.
    they probably mocapped the 'cameraman'

Yepp, they do. It's called Virtual camera system and it's used for ages now not only for games but for movies too, first one to come to mind is Beowulf and Avatar.

Optitrack Insight VCS, SolidTrack.

http://www.awn.com/vfxworld/all-world-s-virtual-stage-disney-s-new-camera-capture-system

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O50KGjWC3dQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ZyvnuV7Xk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnaz8q6FLCk[/ame]
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    I've just finished the prologue on my old 360,
    at this point I'm really amazed how good it looks on last gen.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    prefer the linear story telling. it was done so well until now, the whole mission structure, flying back and forth to mother base just to advance an overlying story...
    tried playing this with my gf, wanted to show her how awesome mgs can be.. the beginning was sick, then we got to the open world part - the story died and we just played lol instead..

it really is not a 10/10 game..

*duck and cover*
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    not 10/10? good one. This is GOTY.

Actually I think there's two types of MGS fans, those that actually care about the story and those that want it out the way. I really respect Kojima for the amount of autonomy he's giving the player, in every aspect of the game-- gameplay, story, customization options. It's really impressive what a core gameplay experience this is, so streamlined.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    The game is only 20 gigs, runs like a dream, and loads in seconds. I adore their environment art, organic and man made.

The stealth mechanics are some of the best I've ever played. The AI is smart enough to be challenging, but not unfair. I've never been forced to improvise so much in any game before.

I can't say the same for the story. It's actually pretty terrible; events are disjointed, actions and reactions don't follow much logic, and while the character art is fantastic, the acting, timing, and delivery of the story is stiff and awkward, and often overdramatic. Though the facial expressions are phenomenal, that's good stuff. But this is no surprise, it's how Kojima does things. Kiefer Sutherland is probably the best performance out of any character, and he talks the least (besides quiet). I think that makes his lines so much more to the point, and so much more valuable.

I'll be playing this game for years to come, I hope we can get some more documentation on how they built their assets. I'd love to know how they made their rocks and dunes.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Regarding a making-of : back when Kojima was still banking on the Kojima name, they released this mini series about the production team. Of course this is nothing in-depth, but besides the GDC talk when they showed Marvelous Designer a few years ago I think that's all we'll ever get ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruj3oeDnXTY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCXPbzOlIh4[/ame]

The most interesting part is probably the foley session.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    For anyone playing if you've past mission 10, and your medical bay is past level 18, there's a door on the 3rd floor of the medical bay.

You're welcome.

Also i agree with some story criticisms, i love it when it's telling a story, and i love the gameplay. But i'm in the camp that loved story after story in MGS games and long cutscenes.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Got to say I'm extremely disappointed with the game. Gameplay is absolutely fantastic. The core loop is brilliant and gameplay options are nearly endless. The game is extremely fun to play on a mission-to-mission basis and building up the motherbase is very addicting. I didn't care much for the open world gameplay before, but they really nailed it for the most part.

However, every trailer we got during these past three years had focused solely on the story and naturally I've come to expect a grand storyline.

It's not that I dislike the story so far, but rather that there is very little story even by the standards of other open world games, not to mention other MGS games. The pacing is very disjointed and most of the "Main missions" don't really connect to the overarching plot. Most of them would be better of as side-ops, rather than part of the critical path.

Snake's character also took a hit in my eyes, Keifer is pretty decent when he speaks, but unfortunately, that happens very rarely. Most of the time it feels like characters are talking at Snake, rather than to Snake and there are weird moments during dialogue where it feels like he's about to say something, but instead we get an awkward pause and silence. I don't necessarily mind the change of Hayter, but I feel that hiring an expensive Hollywood actor was not a good idea.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i'm playing through more and i think i get some of why it did a few things for chapter 1.

Chapter 2 seems to be where the most intense stuff is, even gameplay wise.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the duck

I downloaded the japanese voice over after a few minutes, the japanese snake is not very talk active either :)
    kinda a big hit to the character indeed.
    a lot of monologues, where miller is telling you things over the radio...yippie
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the duck

I downloaded the japanese voice over after a few minutes, the japanese snake is not very talk active either :)
    kinda a big hit to the character indeed.
    a lot of monologues, where miller is telling you things over the radio...yippie

I personally think there's a good reason for this...

Maybe not intentional from snakes point of view, but probably intentional for kojima.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I might be wrong in this, but I wonder if the reason that Snake doesn't talk as much in this one, is for the player to identify with him more as themselves. You're able to customize and approach the game from your own way, in everything to how your base looks to logos and emblems, weapons, how you take on missions, etc. I wonder if Snake talking less had something to do with that idea of making it feel like you're the character.

That said, I do miss Hayter.

So I played a ton over the weekend and I'm still at only 7% completion, lol. I love this game. The gameplay could not be any better in my eyes, and with it being so strong, I can see why they toned down the story elements. The cassette tapes are still there after ever story mission, so you are still getting the conversations and briefings and all. I've played every MGS, and I can still get on board with the way the story is told in this one.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Snake never talked much in any MGS game. Everyone always talked at Snake, and Snake always grunted in response or had some quick 3 work response.

I'm loving it so far. My only criticism is that I'd like the story to get to the point. I like the little vignette missions where you rescue certain people, just feels like its going slow. The missions in Africa are awesome! Like doing FOB stuff too, havent had anyone be summoned to one i invade or i havent been summoned back yet, but they're cool :)
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    never played any metal gear stuff other than rising

should i start with this game
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like having an opinion one way or the other on the story might be a little premature for most of us considering there are like 50 episodes in the game. Thats episodes not side ops. Im on like I dunno 11, with 30 hours in the game...
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I can't believe how good this thing runs/looks, isn't fox engine PBR as well? I wonder what the future of the engine will be now in light of Konami's restructuring.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    MrHobo wrote: »
    I feel like having an opinion one way or the other on the story might be a little premature for most of us considering there are like 50 episodes in the game. Thats episodes not side ops. Im on like I dunno 11, with 30 hours in the game...

I'm at 29 :) there have been some cool moments, feel like I'm on the cusp of more!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh I'm sure there are reasons for not having snake talk, as mentioned above..

but it's still the structure of the game, the split up missions and base management that doesn't feel like a metal gear solid game. I mean, the solid series started on ps1, before then it was metal gear..
    so I'd rather see this go by a more fitting name, like metal gear creed or whatever .....
    not saying it's a bad game, even though the first open world mission has a way higher learning curve / skill wall than deamon/dark souls had, throwing overpowered enemies at you from all over the place..

it's a sick open world stealth/rescue hostages simulator game, but it's not a metal gear solid game.. 10/10 open world game, 2/10 metal gear game?

I dunno..
    god help me for not cumming over this game on every forum in the world
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    moose wrote: »
    Snake never talked much in any MGS game. Everyone always talked at Snake, and Snake always grunted in response or had some quick 3 work response.

I'm loving it so far. My only criticism is that I'd like the story to get to the point. I like the little vignette missions where you rescue certain people, just feels like its going slow. The missions in Africa are awesome! Like doing FOB stuff too, havent had anyone be summoned to one i invade or i havent been summoned back yet, but they're cool :)

Hmm, I got to disagree. Solid Snake was always the silent type, but he would quite often get into those crazy philosophical debates that do show his personality.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bg8aljRfmQ[/ame]

Big Boss was definitely less talkative in regular cutscenes but had plenty of back and forth banter in the codec calls.

As for MGSV
    Snakes silence is definitely explained by the "Truth" ending. That said, I felt that it was rather cheap and took away from his character more than it added.

I completely agree about the mission structure. The whole Afghanistan section feels very weirdly paced. The only missions that advance the story in any substantial way are Prologue and then Mission 1, 6, 11 and 12. The pacing gets better in Africa, but by that point I had played every evening for several hours and I was feeling a bit fatigued. I get that they wanted to make the game episodic, but I feel that they should have fed us information on a more frequent basis, with every mission creating a sense of intrigue. Instead there are long stretches of time where nothing of importance happens and you just rescue prisoners and kill off targets.

To give credit where it's due, the African sections are much better and even the generic missions further the story if you listen to the conversations between soldiers or your targets.
    it's a sick open world stealth/rescue hostages simulator game, but it's not a metal gear solid game.. 10/10 open world game, 2/10 metal gear game?

That's how I'm feeling too. I love the gameplay in this game and it's an absolute joy to play, but every time I think about the trailers and how story driven the game appeared to be, I can't help but think it could have been so much more.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So, this is like Assassin's Creed + Shadow of Mordor + MSG ?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern wrote: »
    So, this is like Assassin's Creed + Shadow of Mordor + MSG ?

except its better.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, I do miss when he'd talk a bit more. I guess i was only remembering the Codec calls, which seemed to always be one sided, or mostly that is. It doesn't bother me, occasionally want him to talk more and give more orders, or to tell
    Miller to shut the fuck up
    Also just got to a point where they talk about what speaking does to people

Animator, i agree, and disagree. Every bit about what makes metal gear fun for me, the sneaking, stealth, espionage is showcased a lot clearer in this game, but its delivered in a completely different way by having repeatable missions, sub missions, and free roaming rpg collection elements. I dislike MGS4, when you could get through the game in 30 minutes by skipping everything, and perfect stealthing it (Act 3!? Walk through town in trench coat, fight boss, Act 4). I enjoy going back into camps and capturing them, figuring out new ways to infiltrate an area - and its constantly changing and different. Or doing a mission in an area and coming back to it later. The first level of MGS was never different, in V, the same camp could change considerably based on the time of day, weather, or shift schedule of the guys in it. This structure highlights the MGS gameplay moreover MGS story more. It would be nice if there was a "play straight through" option that just auto-accetped missions and sent you to them instead of giving you the choice to make it feel like the older games.

I know with Peacewalker i was taken aback by the structure, but was used to monster hunter, and that style of gameplay so the transition was a little easier.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Wouldn't this highly depend on whether or not one has played Peace Walker before ? PW sure is an odd game, but it seems to have paved the way to GZ/MGSV in the way the story is delivered. Having not played V past GZ just yet I cannot quite tell, but V does seem to be a continuation of PW in more ways than once.

Of course whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen ! But I can at least confirm that the unusual delivery of the story and overall structure of PW seemed odd to me at first but quickly grew on me. Maybe this is the vision of Metal Gear that Kojima always wanted.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I agree pior. V is PW with a lot of extra whistles, polish, and new features. Instead of being confined to mission arenas, you can free roam, but the guts are essentially PW without the cpu harvesting :)

There are also HBO style credits at the end of each mission/episode, which is kinda cool, interesting, and unique!
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Wouldn't this highly depend on whether or not one has played Peace Walker before ? PW sure is an odd game, but it seems to have paved the way to GZ/MGSV in the way the story is delivered. Having not played V past GZ just yet I cannot quite tell, but V does seem to be a continuation of PW in more ways than once.

Of course whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen ! But I can at least confirm that the unusual delivery of the story and overall structure of PW seemed odd to me at first but quickly grew on me. Maybe this is the vision of Metal Gear that Kojima always wanted.

Fun fact is this gameplay style started with Portable Ops, a spin off title. It's constantly evolved since.

I love both this and the "classic" style for MGS.

For me the most surprising thing is how much closer the gameplay is tied with the story, some ways I haven't seen done before anywhere. It's open in so many ways.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    I'm at 29 :) there have been some cool moments, feel like I'm on the cusp of more!

In this case 'more' means an entire second chapter (missions 1-
    are just chapter 1). I'm going to wait until I've fully finished the game to really judge how the story was dealt with, but if the game really did end the first time you see the credits I would have felt a little cheated

edit: There's a rumour that an entire area of the game was cut along with a bunch of dialogue and an ending cutscene, I'd confirm but I want to finish the game first obviously
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I keep getting low grades on missions, despite tranquilizing most everyone and having minimal if any alerts. Is it because I'm taking too much time? or maybe not doing all the "tasks"? I mainly just do the primary objective, then head out.