Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    hopgood wrote: »
    You should be able to by logging onto steam through your browser and going to the Collection's page. There is a button on the right to create a collection.

That's perfect, thanks!
  • solarcow16
    Offline / Send Message
    solarcow16 polycounter lvl 7
    chiniara, I would make a gradient from light to dark from the tip of the blade the the base. Looking good though, interesting design.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    this is pretty interesting to see in the cyborgmatt ongamers breakdown:

4946-dota2_ui_front.png
  • PKSpark
    aivanov wrote: »
    Valve is as fickle as the rest of the community. If your items (on average) don't get ridiculous amounts of people excited within twelve seconds of upload, then don't expect it to be in,
    That's the biggest problem of the Workshop actually, climbing is pratically impossible as around 80% of the passive voters are concentrated on the 3 first spots.
    An item in 3rd page, without promotion, will get 5-10 votes max per day, and on 5-6 page it's 5-10 views per day!

And between first page, and your item position, there's downvotes to push your item back. (like it wasn't rigged enough with upbotters!)

Even if it hits top, it's not safe. Admission process is very sensitive to drama, your item can be word killed. If someone compare your item to something offensive, even if it's highly discutable (ex. from my highest ranked tf2 items: festive explosive = condoms, ice top= ebenezer) despite 96%-98% rating, it's dead.

Right now i want to avoid bouncing downvotes and wordkilling to the maximum, so for my kotl set i'm promoting it only after its week prime. How this will turns out...
  • solarcow16
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my Spirit Breaker Helm but am running into some weird artifact problems with the bake problems with the bake.

2ikDlVa.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    solarcow16 wrote: »
    Finished my Spirit Breaker Helm but am running into some weird artifact problems with the bake problems with the bake.

Post the bake so we can diagnose
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Any ideas how are the fx controlled. I am making a head piece for the chaos knight and in the portrait preview there are fx playing on the eyes. Is it through one of the channels in the masks or a joint in the rig?

I've tried using the same masks as the original model and the fx are still missing and I don't see any joints in that area that could be were the fx are being spawned at.
  • solarcow16
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J wrote: »
    Any ideas how are the fx controlled. I am making a head piece for the chaos knight and in the portrait preview there are fx playing on the eyes. Is it through one of the channels in the masks or a joint in the rig?

I've tried using the same masks as the original model and the fx are still missing and I don't see any joints in that area that could be were the fx are being spawned at.

you have to make geometry for the particle effect to attach to. I know that's the case, but I don't have any advice on how to actually do that, because I haven't had to do it yet haha.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8

For Chaos Knight the fx are handled completely by the detail map in Mask1
  • solarcow16
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Post the bake so we can diagnose

Also, thanks kite212 for asking about the artifacts, but I fixed the problem. It was just a few settings in xNormal that I had to change in order to get rid of the issue.Pv83pdI.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Congrats to all for creating such an amazing collection of works, (not only to those who got things into game). The amount and the quality of works were amazingly amazing! I think valve was shocked to see that much of high quality work too.
    Anyways I really hope to see more items getting into game during this event (not only sets) as the current selected items aren't that impressive. + I hope that if they are planning to not accept some sets, at least they will accept some of their items. I'll say it again the submissions were incredible.

GGWP everyone
  • cottonwings
    A couple of hours before reunion dinner starts, so just a few words. Happy Chinese New Year to everyone celebrating it, may this year brings all the workshop artists more fortune and prosperity! Congrats for those who have their items in this week's store, looking forward to see more creations coming up. Peace out folks! :D
  • Strimax
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Totally unrelated

Can you guys watch your game replays? I think it's not working on this new patch :(
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    A couple of hours before reunion dinner starts, so just a few words. Happy Chinese New Year to everyone celebrating it, may this year brings all the workshop artists more fortune and prosperity! Congrats for those who have their items in this week's store, looking forward to see more creations coming up. Peace out folks! :D

Happy 'Lunar' new year! though it's still 3 more hours until midnight here in vietnam :p
  • Bernoully
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    22 mins before 12am CNY, so... Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year and Happy New Bloom to all! Great to see all the awesome stuff making it in. Keep at it guys :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Happy New Year to you all!! I am not sure what should I wish to those celebrating, however I hope it will bring you all at least some quiet time and relaxation to regain strength for serious workshopping!!
  • MagnoHusein
    yey, happy lunar new year guys! best wishes
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Happy Lunar New Year! :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished the thumbnail and a quick marketing image, I know Valve doesn't really use marketing shots for single items but i just felt like it. I am however indecisive on a name. I got a couple ideas

Blood burden
    Flayed ones shackles
    Flayed shackle blades
    Bindings of Blood

of course the tag line "Look ma no hands" came to me. Not really dota cannon though, hah

Any other idea for the name? or prefs

eUeDt2S.jpg

cMI9ShA.jpg
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    For Chaos Knight the fx are handled completely by the detail map in Mask1

Hey Sukotto. I don't think so. Has anyone managed to use FX on their items? I grabbed the official geo for the chaos knight and their maps and use those in the workshop and the FX disappear. So it's not in their maps or their geo.

Any ideas? Just curious if anyone has gotten to use fx on their pieces.
  • Plant
    Hey Sukotto. I don't think so. Has anyone managed to use FX on their items? I grabbed the official geo for the chaos knight and their maps and use those in the workshop and the FX disappear. So it's not in their maps or their geo.

Any ideas? Just curious if anyone has gotten to use fx on their pieces.

The moving texture thing is done in the mask1 red, for fx / particles they don't import unless there's a geo import option, same goes for his mount tail which is made of particles.

To actually test it with the particles on you would have to compile the files with the particle line from the .qc file
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    The moving texture thing is done in the mask1 red, for fx / particles they don't import unless there's a geo import option, same goes for his mount tail which is made of particles.

To actually test it with the particles on you would have to compile the files with the particle line from the .qc file

hi Plant. Yeah. I was talking about the particles. Can you care to elaborate on that qc file. I don't even want to change the fx I just don't want to loose them. Any ideas on how to go about that.
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Just finished the thumbnail and a quick marketing image, I know Valve doesn't really use marketing shots for single items but i just felt like it. I am however indecisive on a name. I got a couple ideas

Blood burden
    Flayed ones shackles
    Flayed shackle blades
    Bindings of Blood

of course the tag line "Look ma no hands" came to me. Not really dota cannon though, hah

Any other idea for the name? or prefs

<moving comment to your personal thread>
  • PrivateRowan
    l48j.jpg

Finally finished my storm spirit set for the pro player ZSMJ, was a great experience creating a set for a player. Hopefully will do it again some time soon!
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Got my set uploaded to the workshop. Seconds before my modem blew up!

fotw_banner.png

Workshop Page
  • Plant
    hi Plant. Yeah. I was talking about the particles. Can you care to elaborate on that qc file. I don't even want to change the fx I just don't want to loose them. Any ideas on how to go about that.

The game importer doesn't add the particle to the qc file, hence it doesn't show up in game, lots of items are like this when imported and its up to valve to add it to the qc file when they put it in game (I believe the 3 virtues that was just added is missing flame swords / storm hat thingy)

To test your item with it enabled you would want to decompile the base file, and recompile it with your model. There is a line in the qc which adds your particle to a bone. If you have no experience with decompile / recompile and running it with a override vpk you can search this forum / thread for info as I'm at work.

This was the case with Jugg ward - ck helm might be completely different but I don't believe it will!
  • Prosomogy
    I with Nannou done this set for Silencer :)Concept by Kaas:) Set bundled with ticket.
    y9nv8H3pg1s.jpg

doc47308563_266124684?hash=6c3eaf4fa1637085e4&dl=df4691c084243a0362&wnd=1
  • Jarm
    Hey everyone!

Just finished my very first set, the Stoneworks of the Temple Guardian for Earthshaker!

38BC600E42FA4BDAA9D2C9C14F49AE445AE2DC14

8p.gif
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hey guys, I've been trying to find info on this without success:

I'm building a set for Enchantress and I want to change the texture of the actual body. Does Valve allow to do this and how do I submit it? It's not a wearable item, but the set without that new body texture will definitely not look as badass.
    Thanks!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »

I'm building a set for Enchantress and I want to change the texture of the actual body. Does Valve allow to do this and how do I submit it? It's not a wearable item, but the set without that new body texture will definitely not look as badass.
    Thanks!

You can't alter the base textures of any hero at all
  • MagnoHusein
    Jerc wrote: »

Thanks!

Herrr hmm I saw some submitions trying to do re-texturizations, but i guess it's not avaiable in the workshop. I don't recommend to do it D:
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Herrr hmm I saw some submitions trying to do re-texturizations, but i guess it's not avaiable in the workshop. I don't recommend to do it D:

Tiny used to have alternate skins, but Valve has since disabled this, and no base textures can be altered
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hmm that's too bad, I wanted to do an African themed variation of Enchantress with a darker skin, reworked face and a gazelle lower body and horns. I guess I'll still do it for fun but will only submit the actual wearable items.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Jarm, that's so clever !! Loving this, very well done.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Threw in a Nether Ward, still looking for someone to collab with for the set.

tumblr_n090dqIcmB1rlb0puo1_1280.png
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Btw, I was curious - anyone has the http link to the China ingame store ? I'd love to see how Valve is handling the CNY event over there ...
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Btw, I was curious - anyone has the http link to the China ingame store ? I'd love to see how Valve is handling the CNY event over there ...

the same
    http://store.dota2.com.cn/
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    Oh I see! I was under the impression that they had a different interface for it, but I probably must have gotten it mixed up with something else. Like a page where to buy credits, or something of that nature. Thanks for the link !
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys where can I get roshan's model/maps from? I didn't find it in root files.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    Guys where can I get roshan's model/maps from? I didn't find it in root files.

Models/Creeps/Roshan
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Models/Creeps/Roshan

Much obliged
  • Arizia
    Hey guys, this is my first ever Dota 2 item so any crits at all are well appreciated. I decided to go with just making a weapon for slark for now, i made my own concept and went from there and this is where it is at now. Just about ready to upload to the workshop but I haven't gotten any industry critique so i'm still rather unsure about a few aspects of it.

6EFlQ.jpg
    6ECeC

As I said any feedback at all will help, I have no idea if the concept itself is even a good idea. I toyed with the colours for days and even the ones it has ended up with look a little plain but i want to know what you guys think :)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hello everyone, i just finished the sculpt of the Legion Commander concepted by Ken.
    On the side are the main weapon plus those she has on the back.

KBB5TbH.png

Also for everyone interested, i covered almost the whole process with videos, and you can find them on my youtube channel. The last video on detailing (sculpt-part 5) isn't up yet, should come today or tomorrow.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arezUds3mLA&amp;feature=share&amp;list=PLnYib-IkrHVb4WAPw8fI6u2gp0wUhXh3q&quot;]Legion Commander set - Sculpt part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    motenai wrote: »
    Hello everyone, i just finished the sculpt of the Legion Commander concepted by Ken.
    On the side are the main weapon plus those she has on the back.

KBB5TbH.png

Also for everyone interested, i covered almost the whole process with videos, and you can find them on my youtube channel. The last video on detailing (sculpt-part 5) isn't up yet, should come today or tomorrow.

Amazing sculpt. However the intersection of the spears is impossible. If you slide the spears into the back leather(im guessing) the leather will rip while it is sliding into the holder because both sides of the spear is sharp. Instead, you can put clamps on the sheath of the giant sword or you can tie it with rope in different areas.

This is just assuming the spears are separate pieces rather welded into an X shape.

Last thing is that the weapons of the left doesn't look like the ones on the actual hero, but thats probably the reason why you put the weapons on the left.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I think in this case they are to be considered as purely decorational considering they have the flags on.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing sculpt. However the intersection of the spears is impossible. If you slide the spears into the back leather(im guessing) the leather will rip while it is sliding into the holder because both sides of the spear is sharp. Instead, you can put clamps on the sheath of the giant sword or you can tie it with rope in different areas.

This is just assuming the spears are separate pieces rather welded into an X shape.

Last thing is that the weapons of the left doesn't look like the ones on the actual hero, but thats probably the reason why you put the weapons on the left.

You're definitely right about the spears...i'm doing a trick here for a few reasons

1st, i want the banners to be symmetrical and in the same exact position, to skin them easily on the original bones.

2nd for this reason, both spears needs to be symmetrical as well, although this would be impossible due to their thickness, they could never do that X intersection in the way they do. So i've decided to make them do an X intersection anyway, and cover it with those leathery cloth things attacked to the sword.

I know it's not really possible like that, but i don't think it's too easy to notice at least from the average player point of view
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    It's also impossible to hold that big weapon so this design is fail.
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Nannou wrote: »
    It's also impossible to hold that big weapon so this design is fail.

Which weapon? Impossible in what sense?
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    kendmd wrote: »
    Which weapon? Impossible in what sense?

Hes saying that the weapon LC holds is bigger than her in the preview Motenai gave us.