Home General Discussion

Microsoft Surface

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
The Pro version comes with a Pen.

"off writing on the tablet, it looks great, he says it's at 600dpi."
http://gizmodo.com/5919328/what-is-microsoft-announcing-today-updating-live/

The way that was written, does it mean its only 600dpi, or that the presenter had it at 600dpi?

What really is interesting for us and gamers in general is the pressure sensitive keyboard. Think, you could adjust in micro amounts the speed you rotate a model beyond mouse. Working in UED you could adjust the speed of your fly through without having to grab a joy. Of course this means support from these all first. Im sure MS will come out a PC keyboard with same functionality.

Just an Ivy I5, so your stuck with a Intel 4000 gpu. :/ Might still be good for zbrush though.

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Working in UED you could adjust the speed of your fly through without having to grab a joy.

If you mean the speed of the camera in the viewport, you can already do that with your mouse. Holding Control and scrolling will change the speed of the camera.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty nice. i want
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, looks like a nice tablet, I'd love to have a play with one.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    I goofed on the specs. Its an arm cpu with nvidia chipset. Sooo. We could do 3d on it. Buuuut there are no windows arm based conversions for our programs afaik.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You should check it out again, there's a Pro version that uses Intel. (Nevermind you posted about that in your first post).

So I was pretty blown away by this. Real great opportunity for a device that has a mix between a content consumption and creation.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Just give me a god damn Wacom pen with it and I'll by it. I kinda want and tablet, but can't really find my self using a reagular tablet for more then surfin in the couch. Not really worth the money. But if you could actually make it into a tool it would be great!
  • Poribo
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    I'm quite excited, this may be the first tablet that I'll own. The keyboard cover is an awesome idea, and the inclusion of a USB port is also a plus. If the stylus thing works well with the tablet then this will be quite the contender in the market.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    so what is the difference between the Samsung Slate and this? Been looking at getting the samsung slate 7, mainly because it can run zbrush, PS and has a wacom tablet. You guys think i should wait for this?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Drav wrote: »
    so what is the difference between the Samsung Slate and this? Been looking at getting the samsung slate 7, mainly because it can run zbrush, PS and has a wacom tablet. You guys think i should wait for this?

Well this one has a pen accessory and is pressure sensitive. But they haven't said if it's wacom enabled pen or M$ enabled pen. I like the design and form factor. The Samsung Slate has been on my mind lately too. In England stores have already sliced the price of the Samsung Slate. Hopefully they'll do the same at US stores.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/06/19/samsung-windows-slate-pc-cleared-out-windows-8-pro-surface-tablet-appears/
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    And it's slightly smaller than the slate as well. Man, I would realy need one now, but I don't want to rush a purchase if the new version comes soon... Arg, give us dates and prices for crying out loud !
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    oh... the Pro version will come 3 months later, erf...
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't think the screen was pressure sensitive - is that not just the keyboard peripheral?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Reading a few more places I think you're right Rick. The keyboard definitely is pressure sensitive. The screen they haven't said yet. Wish they would have just announced a price/release date for this. Tends to make a bigger splash then "releasing soonish" and 3 months later.

It's also interesting cause now M$ competes directly with Toshiba, Samsung, and all the other OEM Windows tablet/slate makers. Seems like a really messed up situation. But I guess regardless they'll win. OEMs do well they sell more OS, they do well they move more hardware. Curious to see how it's going to play out.

Without a pressure sensitive screen I personally could care less. I already own too damn many iDevices.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    jeffro wrote: »
    Well this one has a pen accessory and is pressure sensitive. But they haven't said if it's wacom enabled pen or M$ enabled pen. I like the design and form factor. The Samsung Slate has been on my mind lately too. In England stores have already sliced the price of the Samsung Slate. Hopefully they'll do the same at US stores.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/06/19/samsung-windows-slate-pc-cleared-out-windows-8-pro-surface-tablet-appears/

Well that's interesting! I wish I actually had some kind of income. I was thinking about the Slate 7 even when it was 1000£, with shipping I would get it for 800€-ish. Compared to 1.300€ here in Sweden >.<
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    jeffro wrote: »
    Without a pressure sensitive screen I personally could care less. I already own too damn many iDevices.

I could be entirely wrong here, but isn't it the stylus itself that is pressure sensitive on Wacom style devices? So it's not so much the pressure sensitive panel that's important here, it's the stylus.

If it needs a massive finger input for the touchscreen to register then the stylus will just have huge nibs on like the iPad styli, doesn't matter how much pressure sensitivity you get then, the stylus is just too big to do any detail work.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ...you're really still taking the time to write MS with a dollar sign? ugh

I have heard they wanted to set a quality bar with this. Too many shitty products use Windows, creating a basic mindset of Windows being shitty. Create a distinction between a Microsoft product and the madcatz of the world.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I'll, bite, I'm interested in the Pro. With the right price, I could easily go for one since it's essentially a reasonably decent Windows box. I'd much rather have one with dedicated graphics, though :(
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Looks slick, any word on how much it might cost?
  • Mark Dygert
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    ...you're really still taking the time to write MS with a dollar sign? ugh

I have heard they wanted to set a quality bar with this. Too many shitty products use Windows, creating a basic mindset of Windows being shitty. Create a distinction between a Microsoft product and the madcatz of the world.

I agree. Right now they are a dunk circus clown balancing on a giant greased beach ball, trying hard not to face plant into a sea of cream pies that cover the ground around them.

Successfully separating themselves from the madcatz of the world has about the same chances as the clown dismounting cleanly. Best of luck MS, if anyone needs a win its you guys.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs Fine MS looks like they are taking quality into the design more. But it's still an odd move. Samsung, Toshiba, Acer, etc just got increased competition (and not even from Apple) for the people that make what drives their tablets. Just seems like the OEMs would say fuck off MS and go to Android or some alternative.

The design does looks slick. But I have an iPad and it's fine to make art as much as it is making art with my kids giant crayons. So I end up reading comics and books on it the most. For me personally I'm more interested in a Wacom enabled tablet that has at least 256 pressure levels.

For Apple haters this is huge though. I can also see this thing being huge with Businesses. I've seen a few iPad at Doctors offices lately and it seems like MS will creep into that market.
  • gsokol
    For me personally I'm more interested in a Wacom enabled tablet that has at least 256 pressure levels.

If this thing has some pressure sensitivity and a good price point, I'll hop on that.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I read that the pro version, the one with the stylus, will be priced comparable to "ultrabooks" so $1400 and up.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Sec, I am so used to writing that slang it was unconciously typed. I even do it with employees I know.

From what I think with this digital ink is the stylus does all the work. If so if the stock one is only 600dpi, I wonder if aftermarket could sell a higher res stylus.

I didnt realize the lower end used the arm while the upper used Intel. Which is getting the Nvidia chipset? If the upper is just getting Intel graphics alone.... I'll keep holding back until some manufacturer gets it through their head to offer a Amd pressure sensitive version (hopefully with high rez screen). With the integrated ATI gpu, its leaps and bounds better for our uses than the Intel.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    So, I'll ask again...

Isn't it the stylus that's pressure sensitive rather than the screen? I'm sure I read somewhere that in a Wacom tablet, it's the stylus that provides the pressure sensitivity and not the surface... If so, surely the stylus could be made for this tablet even if MS don't supply one with it.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    TeeJay wrote: »
    So, I'll ask again...

Isn't it the stylus that's pressure sensitive rather than the screen? I'm sure I read somewhere that in a Wacom tablet, it's the stylus that provides the pressure sensitivity and not the surface... If so, surely the stylus could be made for this tablet even if MS don't supply one with it.

Yes, but you can't just add on a wacom stylus to whatever you want. It needs special shit going on in the screen.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    In the software / drivers, not the screen ;)
  • lloyd
    The surface (that you write on, the wacom tablet/wacom screen) has tech in it to know where you are pressing.

The pen says how hard. You need BOTH for it to work.

So with the surface (microsoft tablet) the screen knows where you are pressing,
    therefore all you'd need is a pen to talk to the tablet, as microsoft is all for styluses then it COULD happen!

The closest the ipad can get is a pen that makes sound noises to talk to the ipad, and an app to work with it; that is the problem. for microsofts tablet the stylus stuff can be across all of the OS and not shoehorned into one app.

Hopefully microsoft or even wacom will push for this, but seeing as how the Microsoft Courier was cancelled, i wont hold my breath.

http://youtu.be/UmIgNfp-MdI
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ah ok thanks for clarifying, I thought that might be the case.

I think Wacom have patents on the stylus pressure though, not sure how specific they are but I'm guessing that's why you don't see many pressure-sensitive options other than ones made by Wacom.

Let's hope Wacom themselves do something for it.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    So is the Samsung Series 7 slate still top dog when it comes to a decent pressure sensitive tablet (I'm thinking of purchasing one).
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    We don't know quite yet - we'll have to when the real deal Surfaces.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I meant at this current time at retail, if the price has dropped to £670 then it seems like a steal.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Likewise Baj, Im thinking the same. Im sure the new microsoft tablet will be better when it comes out, the samsung slate was used to show of windows 8 earlier this year, and im sure microsoft will have learnt all the lessons they can from it, like how much people liked the wacom functionality. However, its very unlikely that it will cost less than 670, and moreover its not out for another 6 months yet.

The only downside to the Samsung slate seems to be variable build quality, and some people have mentioned battery life. Would be great if some people here could chip in if they own one!

However, back on topic, I think the surface will improve on the Samsung Tablet, as I dont think microsoft would make anything inferior to the product they used as a demo platform for their flagship software
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    "like how much people liked the wacom functionality" I'm pretty sure having a stylus is a negative to the public at large, artist are a niche market. Tablets & PDAs didn't become popular until they dropped the stylus and went touch screen.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    "like how much people liked the wacom functionality" I'm pretty sure having a stylus is a negative to the public at large, artist are a niche market. Tablets & PDAs didn't become popular until they dropped the stylus and went touch screen.

Thats the same arguement the local Mac prophet uses. Consumers maybe....* Medical and business will probably use and want such functionality. Local doctors use windows pen tablets. Allow much faster input and precision than a touch alone. Also allows document signing.

Most sites agree with the idea that the higher end version, ie the Pro one with stylus is especially meant for business use.

*Consumers also didn't need a tablet or retinal, until mac showed told them so.

WTF is the strikethrough bb code?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did you reiterate what I just said but put a mac vs pc spin on it?
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    People don't hate styluses. They hate obligatory styluses. For most uses it's much nicer to just use a finger, so old tablets (optimized for stylii) feel clunky. You have to grab your tablet AND your pen. You have to hold the pen the entire time.

I'm an artist myself and even I don't like to use my tablet PC as a tablet because it only has a stylus and no touchscreen.
  • WarrenM
    I think that's the key. If you can use your finger OR the stylus, that should be fine.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Again, samsung slate lets you use multitouch screen with finger etc, and stylus for finer browsing, writing or art.

Again, i very much doubt Microsoft will take a step back from a pressure sensitive multitouch tablet with Wacom stylus support. One of the big advantages over the ipad is that you can run photoshop, painter max zbrush etc. Considering apple are supposed to be for creative types, this funcionality shits all over what is capable with an ipad, and Microsoft must have seen the potential here, especially on an open platform.

Art as we know it might be a niche market, but if you add graphic design, advertising and desktop publishing, then I disagree, its the market apple has been trading off for 20 years, and a portable photoshop tablet is one of the things everyone in that industry has been wanting for those 20 years.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Art as we know it might be a niche market, but if you add graphic design, advertising and desktop publishing, then I disagree, its the market apple has been trading off for 20 years, and a portable photoshop tablet is one of the things everyone in that industry has been wanting for those 20 years.

I haven't seen a wide adaption of pressure sensitive tablets in those industries. I used to work at a newspaper and my girlfriend is a graphic designer, we haven't seen a graphic design department that uses tablets in our careers.

Interestingly ModBook has spun off from Axiotron and so far it seems they aren't involved with modifying apple laptops into tablets or even doing repairs on them. Perhaps they are going to launch an artist centric tablet? (fingers crossed)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    apple haven't TRULY been for creative types since they got rid of the "G" series of machines and went with intel hardware.

now they're just any other pc, with a bigger price tag and a sexy look... and an OS that doesn't support half the important artistic shit lol.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    apple haven't TRULY been for creative types since they got rid of the "G" series of machines and went with intel hardware.

now they're just any other pc, with a bigger price tag and a sexy look... and an OS that doesn't support half the important artistic shit lol.

Please don't turn this into a Mac vs. PC debate. Stay on topic.

Back to the point, I'd instantly get this if it has proper pen support. Provided it is affordable/cheaper than a cintiq. :P
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen a wide adaption of pressure sensitive tablets in those industries. I used to work at a newspaper and my girlfriend is a graphic designer, we haven't seen a graphic design department that uses tablets in our careers.

Interestingly ModBook has spun off from Axiotron and so far it seems they aren't involved with modifying apple laptops into tablets or even doing repairs on them. Perhaps they are going to launch an artist centric tablet? (fingers crossed)

I'm in advertising and I don't really see tablets around either, but there hasn't really been a fucking awesome pressure sensitive tablet released yet. There was the asus EP121, but that was buggy as shit.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    I'm in advertising and I don't really see tablets around either, but there hasn't really been a fucking awesome pressure sensitive tablet released yet. There was the asus EP121, but that was buggy as shit.

lulz, I guess I should have been more specific in a thread about tablet computers - I meant wacom tablets.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    s, this funcionality shits all over what is capable with an ipad, and Microsoft must have seen the potential here, especially on an open platform.

Yea.. I'm gonna go even further than Apple/Windows.

The only truly open platform is Android. As the code (mostly linux) is available for viewing/editing, and you can start your own markets or app without going through their specific store.

That said OSX and Windows have good art programs for both. Its iOS that does not. Maybe Apple will release a pro tablet that combines OSX with a retinal macbook.. Of course that would probably be near $2000.
  • glottis8
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeOM0XwXsY&quot;]Tablet Newspaper of the Future (1995) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Its iOS that does not. Maybe Apple will release a pro tablet that combines OSX with a retinal macbook.. Of course that would probably be near $2000.

I'd pay that much for a high resolution tablet with a Nvidia graphics card. I've got some high hopes for what Modbook plans on unveiling - I hope it just doesn't turn out to be a wacom tablet alternative, right now all I know is it's a hardware company that is focusing on artists.

as far as that image - Microsoft unveiled the Tablet and imagined the amazing world of office applications and note taking and then tried to dictate how OEM's designed their tablets, if you deviated too much from their specs you couldn't ship it with Windows XP tablet edition. With the iPad and then the Android based tablets that followed, MS had competition in the tablet space forcing them to innovate or be abandoned in that sector.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lulz, I guess I should have been more specific in a thread about tablet computers - I meant wacom tablets.

ah, well then 3/4 of the creative team has wacom tablets here.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    That's interesting about Modbook being spun out Justin. I wonder what is going on there. Love to get on the beta test for whatever it is.