Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BLIZZARD Styled Environment Art WIP

Replies

• Oliver_Farrell
    jeffro wrote: »
    Your highlights are all over the place. Try to localize them so the rendering makes sense on the texture. (Not on the top and bottom of scratches, edges, etc).

The texture also lacks contrast. It feels very soft and flat. I would make the highlights brighter and the shadows darker.

The gold needs brighter highlights.

Additional color (and saturation) variation in the blue metal would help it read better too.

Great job of following the Tyler's 3dmotive tutorial to a T. I would try to push your work with your environment piece in your own style though.

Hay Jeffro thank you for the crit! I have take on board what you have said and it has really helped me fix the texture! I tried to add saturation to the colours and remove the flatness you spoke about. I also darkened the shaded areas and lightened the highlights. I hope you can read this better.

Old_New.jpg

I see what you mean about the origonal texture being flat.

New_1.jpg

Although this is not perfect, I think it does read a lot better now.

final_render_4.jpg

Thanks again for the advice! let me know what you think.
  • OddEyes
    at first, i was like.. 'did you increase the texture resolution?' cuz now we can see you fine details way better. Good job
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Well now your bronze and wood has the same value.

Desaturate your screengrab in Phoshop and notice how the wood and the bronze are the same shade of grey. That should not happen for the most part. It's something usually to avoid.

I think you just did a contrast adjustment in Phoshop and that's making your darks too dark now. You'll need to paint in a greater spectrum of value to get more contrast.

The golds still need the brighter highlights.

I'd work on rendering the wraps a bit more convincingly as well. They need some more love.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Well now your bronze and wood has the same value.

Desaturate your screengrab in Phoshop and notice how the wood and the bronze are the same shade of grey. That should not happen for the most part. It's something usually to avoid.

I think you just did a contrast adjustment in Phoshop and that's making your darks too dark now. You'll need to paint in a greater spectrum of value to get more contrast.

The golds still need the brighter highlights.

I'd work on rendering the wraps a bit more convincingly as well. They need some more love.

Ok so now i have brightened the gold highlights, gave the wraps some love, brigthened the darks. Brightened up the bronze so not symilar too wood. Im happy with the result. I wanted the weapon to be quite viberant and I hope you like the changes.

New_2.jpg
    New_4.jpg
    New_3.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better. The golds still need some work on the highlights.

Your leather wrap isn't reading like leather. It needs to have a bit smoother shadows and highlights.

Your rendering of highlights across the board needs to be reworked. If light is coming from above (which would hold true if a Orc dude was holding a shield or sword and there was a sun above) then on a scratch, ding, nick, whatever it should be shadow on the top and highlight on the bottom.

Ughh... just read my description. OK that probably doesn't make sense. I'll try to find time to do a paint over of this sometime this week. I'd recommend that you read though http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm and specifically http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#light_stuff. It will help your texturing a ton.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Looking better. The golds still need some work on the highlights.

Your leather wrap isn't reading like leather. It needs to have a bit smoother shadows and highlights.

Your rendering of highlights across the board needs to be reworked. If light is coming from above (which would hold true if a Orc dude was holding a shield or sword and there was a sun above) then on a scratch, ding, nick, whatever it should be shadow on the top and highlight on the bottom.

Ughh... just read my description. OK that probably doesn't make sense. I'll try to find time to do a paint over of this sometime this week. I'd recommend that you read though http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm and specifically http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#light_stuff. It will help your texturing a ton.

I would really appreciate a paint over man. Give me more of an idea of what needs improving.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a fast paint over. Basically just be consistent with your painting. Highlights/shadows need to be consistent across the piece.

Hope it makes sense.

Oliver_Farrell_PO.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I usually avoid these threads, but this is better way better than i expected! :)
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Here's a fast paint over. Basically just be consistent with your painting. Highlights/shadows need to be consistent across the piece.

Hope it makes sense.

Man made a lot of sence, I took your advice about the golds and realsied that they where too yellow. The colour scheme over all was way off. I decided to change some of the colours and entre more of a realistic colour scheme.

New_12.jpg

I added blues into the shadowed areas and re painted the golds.

New_9.jpg

I also replaced the blue rim of the sheild with bronze.

New_11.jpg
    New_10.jpg

Thank you for the advice man. I will take it on board with my had painted style, I know its going to take some work, but i think im on my way.
  • sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 12
    You've shown great improvement throughout this process; I can't wait to see your environment!

My only crit is the mirrored UVs pop out obviously on the shield to me. Can't help but wonder if there's a better way to pack/stack those repeating elements to fit the whole shield on there, or maybe even give the shield it's own unique map. I'm well aware it's way too late to worry about that and you're probably set to move on from this piece, but something to think about in the future. :)
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Like sybrix said the tiling is a bit obvious. You could cut down on that a bit by just not mirroring the center steel band on the shield. The wood would still mirror, but you'd lose the obvious line straight down the middle.

Still, from start to end that set shows great improvement. On the the next piece..
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I am kind of glad I waited to reply to this thread, solely because I feel like I may have ended up misdirecting you... but your latest revisions look miles better compared to when I gave you crit... so great work there :)

I dont usually do this often, but I cant actually give you a crit on where its at now because I feel like they're at a state where you can call them complete and move on to something new
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    i think you're occlusion shadow of the bolt is too strong.
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Love this thread, been watching it just haven't posted anything yet. You've improved so much through working on this piece! Your newest revision is gorgeous, I think you've really nailed it and I'm glad you changed the color scheme a bit. Honestly my eyes go directly to the shield when I look at the two models together, just because I like it the most :). I think your occlusion might just be slightly too much, but other than that I'm going to second Limewax and say call this finished and move on. I can't wait to see what else you do!
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Hay! Thank you all for your feedback.

Sybrix & Baddcog : I see what you mean about the obvious mirroring, I think if i just remove some of the fine details from the central stip of metal and bronze it wont look as bad. I will take that into acount for my next piece of work. as you say 'on to the next one'.

Limewax: I have been waiting for your reply and thank you! Your advice really helped me out and I too am happy with what i have learnt from this. I can't wait to get one with my next project.

mnphear: I cant believe i didnt realise it was too strong haha. You are so right its way to dark. will have to tweak that before i put the piece into my portfolio. Thanks for letting me know!

Andy H: Thank you for the comment man! really apreciate it. The sheild was a pain! but i love this handpainted style now! Think I found my calling haha. Time to move on!

So now i am going to start work on my environment. Right now I want to create a small village with farm land, which leads up towards the ruins of a castle or structure. In the world of warcraft style. So from that now I am going to do some concept work and start modeling some props and creating the environment textures.

Here we go!...
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely getting there. I'm not sold on the bronze. I would rather see that steel or something else. The gold, bronze, and wood are a lot of yellow/browns. Be nice to work in cooler colors.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Definitely getting there. I'm not sold on the bronze. I would rather see that steel or something else. The gold, bronze, and wood are a lot of yellow/browns. Be nice to work in cooler colors.

Hay jeffro, I see what you mean about the colours very dim. I quickly tweaked it:

New_9-1.jpg

Think it looks a lot cooler now, not so dull.

New_11-1.jpg
    New_10-1.jpg

I think its actually done now haha. I can put it to bed. Let me know what you think.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think your shadows are too strong, wide, and not very well defined. You could definitely do with toning the AO down, and then painting in some drop shadows.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    that wood is very interesting, how did you do it and how long did it take?

really cool man
  • Oliver_Farrell
    frell wrote: »
    that wood is very interesting, how did you do it and how long did it take?

really cool man

Hay man, thanks, Wood took about 10 minutes, i started with a dark brown and then painted in the planks with a lighter shade. I then added the details and pronounced them with high lights. I finished off by adding blue into the shadowed areas, Jeffro showed me how and it adds a lot the texture.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry just saw this. Yes I like the new color scheme a lot better.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Huge improvement on the color scheme.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Hi guys! Started work on my Blizzard styled environment project. firstly I researched a lot! Through reading some of the threads on here too I realsied the best way to tackle the building of my village Is to create modular peices which can be combined to make multiple buildings.

I have not yet UVmapped or textured the peices at this point. I will be working on that over the next few days. My buildings are inspired by that of the Worgen zone of Gilneas. I was attracted to the shapes and angles created by the buildings in this zone and wanted to reproduce this in my environment.

Here are the meshes, so far...

Building_Asset_Image_1.jpg
    Big Building peices. ( More will be added. )

Building_Asset_Image_2.jpg
    Building Assets. ( Still need to break up big shapes on windows. )

Building_Asset_Image_4.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_3.jpg
    Possible Building from Assets 1.

Building_Asset_Image_6.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_5.jpg
    Possible Building from Assets 2.

These just quickly demonstrate possible buildings I can throw together once I have tweaked and textured the Assets.

If you guys have any suggestions let me know!!!

Time to texture like crazy! :poly142:
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    The new color scheme for the sword and shield is oooodles better!!! I agree with Snader about your shadows though.

Your modular building stuff looks extremely promising, great work! I'm really excited for updates haha
  • Oliver_Farrell
    The new color scheme for the sword and shield is oooodles better!!! I agree with Snader about your shadows though.

Your modular building stuff looks extremely promising, great work! I'm really excited for updates haha

Thanks Jessica! I learnt a lot from the Axe and Sheild, I have fixed some of the shadows. Just havent posted it. were you talking about the shadows behind the gold studs or others?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically it looks like you have a ton of AO and no cast shadows. Your AO (basically everywhere the different parts of your prop intersect) is very strong, dark, and diffuse. So I would tone that down a bit and reel in the spread.

Also adding some very crisp cast shadows in certain areas (like coming from parts of the prop that stick out a lot) will be good, and try to give those shadows some volume (don't make them black-hole kindof shadows, but let the texture beneath show through and suggest a little bounce light :)
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Buildings are looking good! Can't wait to see those textures.
  • sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 12
    Looking good so far. Interesting approach to the buildings by going modular. I can't wait to see this develop further. Time to texture like crazy! We only got like a week left to finish! :O
  • Oliver_Farrell
    sybrix wrote: »
    Looking good so far. Interesting approach to the buildings by going modular. I can't wait to see this develop further. Time to texture like crazy! We only got like a week left to finish! :O

Hay man, this is for my masters project. I cant even apply for the blizzard comp becuase i don't study in the US or Canada :poly127:
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    Hey good job on the axe - the 3D total tutorial helped me as well...I should go through it again for my next project...too many things to practice...
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Hay guys, just got finished texturing some of my modular building assets:

Building_Asset_Image_7.jpg
    Mesh without texture.

Building_Asset_Image_8.jpg
    Applied basic colours to get a feel for how it reads.

Building_Asset_Image_9.jpg
    Worked out basic wood colour and where shapes would be.

Building_Asset_Image_10.jpg
    Added wood grain and created sections of rock on window ldge and door frames, also painted handle gold.

Building_Asset_Image_11.jpg
    Gave wood highlights, worked in detail on the rocks.

Building_Asset_Image_12.jpg
    Brightened up wood and created windows with bounce light hitting rocks and wood. gave rock archway more geomarty. Happy with it so far, Im sure I need to tweak aspects but im going to move onto texturing the next load.

Windows_Door_Texture.jpg
    The texture map.

on to the next one...
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Your textures look good! I think you still need a highlight for the edges of the stone though, it would look much better.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice! I agree with marq though - right now it is very hard to tell the where the edge is even if you have some value separation between the top and front planes. Defining the edge better with a highlight should be a quick fix! :)
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Thank you marq4porsche and Jessica Dinh for the advice on the rock highlights. You guys were right, it really helped define the geomatry:

Building_Asset_Image_13.jpg

Also going back to my Axe and Sheild work I imported them into udk and also changed the Axe a little by breaking up the sections and enlarging the detailed areas, like the blue spicky bit and the blade.

final_render_axe_sheild.jpg
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    oh nice, it sucks though u cant enter it
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I think sharpening some of the textures will make them pop too.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I think sharpening some of the textures will make them pop too.

Thanks man, hay im going to be aplying for an internship at Telltale games soon, whats it like working there man?

Oh and I sharpened the texture, thanks for the advice!

Building_Asset_Image_14.jpg
  • TheVortexKnight
    All of those look GREAT. How do you create those textures. Any help will be great for a project I a, working witch will be on the forums soon.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    All of those look GREAT. How do you create those textures. Any help will be great for a project I a, working witch will be on the forums soon.

Hay man, thanks I too am new to hand painted textures. My best advice is to read through some of the threads posted on here, a lot of talented people are giving great advice. Also I followed a tutorial on www.3dmotive.com which teaches you how to model and hand paint a weapon and sheild using brilliant techniques. It really helped me and im sure it will do the same for you.

Let me know how you get on! look forward in seeing your thread!
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Here are some more of my modular building assets textured. The roof is left white as it will be using a tiled roof texture.

Building_Asset_Image_15.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_16.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_17.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_18.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_19.jpg

The texture map.
    Chimney_Top_Window_Texture.jpg

I only have one more texture map to finish of the building assets then i can move onto creating the tilable textures for use on the main building and roof. I will post the final one tomorrow and hopefully get some of my tilable done!
  • cdavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    looking realy nice .. watching :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!! Seems like you are using a round with opacity set to pressure - you may want to try going in at the end with a little 100% hard brush for sharpening up certain details here and there - in crevice areas, at edges, etc. It should give you a nice, clean finish :]
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure if you're sharpening these at all, but I'd really suggest you do so. Right now everything kind of seems faded, but I bet if you ran a Sharpen filter over them once or twice, it'd make it all pop more. This would especially be true for your windows and your vase. The dark indentions on your vase don't have enough depth to them, if that's what you were trying to do. Add a darker hue in there and maybe a much lighter hue on the outside edges to make it pop more. Sharpen that too if it still looks sort of flat and see how it looks. This is all personal preference though, I like painting as much depth as I can!

Edit: Also wow, Jessica always says something related to my posts while I'm typing it up. :P
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha xD

Yeah, in addition to using the little hard brush for cleanup, I love Smart Sharpen. But you may want to dupe your work onto a new layer for the Smart Sharpen so you can manually erase some artifacting that might happen with that.
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Oh I forgot about the whole duplicating layers thing to deal with the crazy rainbow pixels that appear when you sharpen too much, thanks Jessica!

Edit: Alllsoooo one last critique for now. I'd go back and paint some more depth into the stones around the doorway and stairs. It goes from the light hitting the stone to just BLACKNESS. If you make it look like the stones are actually bricks, such as painting a midtone between the crevices, then finally transitioning to the shadows deep in there, it would look way more dimensional. (Isn't that the whole point of hand painted textures? :))
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Hay guys great crit! I have taken your advice on board and applied it to my textures. I love that smart sharpen and you guys were right about it making the texture stand out more.

Building_Asset_Image_20.jpg

Andy - I tried to implement what you said about the rocks and make them look more like bricks. As well with the vase which is a chimney top, I darkened the cracks and added highlights.

Jessica- Thanks for the advice on the sharpening too, I also see what you mean about adding final detail with a hard brush at the end, I still need to do this a little. Well done on the project you have just finished! I have been following it for a while, it has really inspired me to go for it!
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Oop! Chimney, sorry. :)

Also, there you go!! The stones are way more dimensional, looking really good! The chimney also has some nice dimension in those crevices. The only thing right now that's starting to stand out to me is the wood on the door. For some reason, maybe it's the way they're painted, they almost look like strips of old wallpaper that's peeling, if you can see what I'm saying. It just looks like strips of wood pattern placed on top of a dark wall. Try to do what you did with the stones, and maybe also make a smooth gradient from the edge of the planks to the center. That way you'll still have the edges but it won't look flat. I can sort of see when I look super close to the texture sheet where you painted a little bit of the edges that go towards the back of the planks, but it's too subtle, make it pop more just like you did with the stones. I think it's great that you're painting in your shadows so deep, just make sure you include the mid values too.

Keep at it dude, really enjoy this thread!
  • Oliver_Farrell
    So finally finished the texturing of my last load of assets :poly142:!

Building_Asset_Image_21.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_22.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_23.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_24.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_25.jpg
    Building_Asset_Image_26.jpg

Texture map:
    Windows_Wood_box_Texture.jpg

All modular assets :poly141: Tired....zzzzz

Building_Asset_Image_27.jpg
  • mnphear
    Offline / Send Message
    mnphear polycounter lvl 9
    try adding some larger highlights on the wood, take the original highlight colour and that brigten it and add contrast to it (slide it left)...when you are selecting colours play with your saturation a bit, dont let it be the same contrast troughout.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Hi Guys, I got Finished making a roof tile texture for my Buildings. Crits would be really appreciated, Im feeling its lacking.

Roof_Tiles_3.jpg

Also I have it on a house that I added the assets too. The rest of the house that has basic colours will be textured this weekend.

Building_Asset_Image_28.jpg

The beam at the top of the roof is going to have a wood texture applied to it.

Building_Asset_Image_31.jpg