Home General Discussion

UE4 goes free

Replies

• juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    related in comparison, unity 5 free is going full-featured as well, apparently:

992f61418e.jpg
    no source code access and no performance profiler, though
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I would disagree here. As much as I love UE4, I find Blueprints to be much more difficult than C#/Unity Script. I'm not anywhere close to being a decent programmer and so I love the idea of a visual system. However, whenever I try to do something in Blueprints, I find myself wishing I had access to high level text scripting instead.

Blueprints is a headache for me too, I'd rip my hair out trying to manage a big project.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    "Professional editor skin" not in the personal edition.

If this is legit,
    Unity are you fucking kidding me?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    It's always been like that. Free users get the ugly skin. Awesome, right?
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl wrote: »
    "Professional editor skin" not in the personal edition.

If this is legit, are you fucking kidding me?

that was in every other unity version, too: free versions get the default light skin and pro users have the option to switch to a dark skin. no point in it imo
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filthy un-paying plebs are unworthy of a cool UI, I guess.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    chiniara wrote: »
    I never got that.

Why the fuck they can't give the black theme for the free version? Its retarded.
    If your eyes hurt and you have a headache you're more likely to buy pro!
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they had to draw the line somewhere :poly122:
  • .nL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    iniside wrote: »
    I have to disagree (somewhat). Aside from languages preferences, which really shouldn't matter, if you know how to program, you should be able to program, in any language that is somewhat similar in syntax. Jumping from Delphi to C++ could be problematic though and day of two of learning might be needed.

Granted, but for less performance-intensive tasks like gameplay scripting, C++'s verbosity can be a little much, and make it harder for designers to come in and tweak things themselves during early development (I'm really not convinced that visual scripting is a good alternative, there).
    But, as far as I remember Unity on start is pretty bare bone. You have to create lot's of things from scratch. Networking support is nearly non existent, and is nowhere near level of Unreal (and in this case it help they have 14+ years of experience creating multiplayer games, not just engine).

Unreal have also loads of build in functionality, for supporting, character (movement, damage), projectiles etc.

You can make prototype of more or less generic game (which have vehicles and characters), obscenely fast with Unreal, since most of functionality is already done for you, and all you need to do is to connect it together.

The issues might start when you need something more specific, but then.. It's like anywhere else. You sit and have to figure it out.

I actually tried Unity, and I have never been convinced to it.I just couldn't get into this fast prototyping in Unity. To much things, to take care on start, to even thing about starting prototyping gameplay functionality.

True. Most of my projects in Unity have been related to procedural generation, and when you're constantly tweaking algorithms and re-evaluating your data structures, Unity's low-friction JIT compilation step really makes a difference in productivity.

The barebones nature of Unity is something I lean towards since I can grasp its feature-set quickly, and code things relatively easily from scratch without having to worry about breaking a system or rule that I didn't know was a part of the engine.

But unless you're the kind of person who likes to write their own toolset and workflow on top of a light framework, you're absolutely right. Unreal's the way to go.
    For small project I would choose Unreal. I feel it's faster to get things done. But it might be also the fact, that I'm just used to it.
    The big issue in Unreal, would be if you target Android. not that many devices are supported, and regardless of how much you tune it down, it's still very demanding engine, on common people hardware. Not everyone is using high end Nexus devices or HTC.

Definitely faster for more traditional gametypes, yeah. Epic's gone to great lengths to make all that stuff pretty easy. I've not touched UE4's mobile side, but I'd believe it. Which is really a shame.
    Now totally unrelated thing. I like Epic approach better. When you ask Epic to add some feature of fix something the usual reaction is "well we don't know yet, but will surely figure it out!", or explanation why the won't do this, or do this they way it was requested.

Absolutely. I read Unity's forum once, never went back. Stuck with the documentation and ruing some of the design choices they made which got in my way.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    juniez wrote: »
    related in comparison, unity 5 free is going full-featured as well, apparently:
    no source code access and no performance profiler, though

Also no beta access, I love being able to download a preview build of UE4, or one of several branches currently in development from Github. Source code access has done a lot for getting fixes and features into the engine, a Polycount user actually got Epic to integrate his pull request to use MikkTSpace normal maps, so there's finally a synced normal map work flow for static meshes.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    No beta access? What's the Unity 5 beta then?
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I think they are talking about future Beta's ..you can get Unity 5 now
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm expecting it to mean pro users get access to beta versions first. Unity 5 was in beta for a long time before it was opened up.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »
    Also no beta access, I love being able to download a preview build of UE4, or one of several branches currently in development from Github. Source code access has done a lot for getting fixes and features into the engine, a Polycount user actually got Epic to integrate his pull request to use MikkTSpace normal maps, so there's finally a synced normal map work flow for static meshes.

Speaking of tangent spaces, has anyone tested to see if UnityTSpace normal maps work correctly in forward shading in the new release? I'd test it myself but their servers are getting slammed.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Just wow!
    I love epic.

If any of the epic crew are following this thread: youz guys iz da shiz!
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Two forum topics now, about free game engines. Generally, I think it's about the difference in the languages and approach that has made both companies go free. That's not to say people can't create a game in either language, and port them to both game engines. As an artist though I've always liked the ease of use and visual shader generation of Unreal.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    5% royalties after $3,000 per quarter per game. Steam and other distributors take 30%, 5% is more than fair until you are a large studio, at which point you can get a custom license.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It won't cost you anything unless you make a commercial game, that makes over $3000 in a quarter.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You should be able to create a shortcut for the engine .exe file that should be in the 64bit binary folder where you installed the engine. I think it's UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries but I'll have to check later at home.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    does right clicking on UE4 while its open and saying "Pin" work? You can create a shortcut like Zac mentioned too, should be in Binaries\Win64\ I don't have a version installed from the launcher so am not certain - but its in that general area :)

If you make a desktop shortcut, you can have it auto launch your project by editing the shortcut's path to say

C:\filepathtostuff\UnrealEnging4.exe PROJECTNAME

if you add -game it'll launch your project as a game instead of the editor.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    hot dayum, I don't have the words for how generous and amazing this is
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    genermazing. or maybe amazerous.
    i'm cool with either of those.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    This is really Unreal, who would've thought one year ago that we'd be able to work with the most advanced game engine in the world with no restrictions, things are changing and now it's Epic that is a role-model to the industry as we saw in the past couple of days, kudos Epic, you are Unreal. :)

Btw, the new component based workflow in 4,7 is awesome, it was one of those very few area's that unreal was behind the completion, and you addressed it beautifully, love the new workflow between Blueprints and Components, so fun to work with.

Btw, how is the Mono/C# for Unreal Engine project coming along? has anybody given it a try here?
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    This is superb news. I think it's deffinitely time to pick this beauty up and give it a whirl :D
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    The whole 5% after you earn so much thing could be a real turnoff to investors in a company as it means you have to have very open books. I'm not an expert in games finance but companies often want the sales figure, list of investors etc hidden for as long as possible, maybe for tax reasons! This open book approach could mean that you will miss out on investment.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see where Epic is requiring any of that. Just pay what you owe.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure it's that simple, at the very least they need to know what you have sold on each platform and shop version. You would have to provide documented proof of this, possibly by tax receipts? You are essentially opening a large section of your books to a third party which is not something that business folks are keen on.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    haha unity can shift their mathematics around as long as they want, theres just no way to make free sound like a bad deal.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    @esterislandnick,

here are the requirements re royalty on UE4 engined games:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/release

Provided you are using the standard royalty license.

If you have issue with that kind of transparency, they do a custom license with an upfront fee:
    https://www.unrealengine.com/custom-licensing

If your company is so large or concerned with 3rd party seeing that kind of information, they are very likely to have the funds available for an upfront fee based license where they won't need to pay royalties or provide that kind of sales information.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree that this would only affect companies that are "so large" but it's all speculation.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't say it would only affect affect large company's.
    If your company is so large or concerned with 3rd party seeing that kind of information,

Bolded secondary argument to my statement, it impacts anyone who is concerned with a 3rd party having access to the kind of information listed in the release link.

But as I said, if you're concerned with that, it is covered by custom licensing - as discussed in Epics FAQ.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/faq
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, don't upset the Unreal fanboys! Your probably right, it would be nice to know what a custom license would set you back, I'm guessing a lot more than a few Unity pro seats but that's just speculation.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, don't upset the Unreal fanboys!

How very constructive of you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    You know guys, I'm veeery happy.

For the price of full one year of big Maya, to which I know I would have to buy 3 additional plugins (and each costs more than 800$), I can have all the software out there from other companies and work on what I like.

With...

- UE4 free
    - Unity free
    - BlackMagic Fusion free
    - Visual Studio Community free
    - Houdini Indie for $200
    - Substance tools Indie for $318 + new payment options
    - Zbrush for $795
    - Modo for $1495
    - Cinema4D Prime for $995
    - Blender

... I can start shaping the world to my liking.

I have bigger chance to work on my own (freelance) and convince some companies that never thought about using/working with people like me to include my skills in their portfolio.

This opens up so many possibilities. And slowly but surely ends Autodesk reign. Sooner or later even companies will have to adapt and start using what normal people have access to. With companies of course this may take time, but they can't stop the trend.

It's amazing.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjPiGVSnfI[/ame]

Sounds like Epic is going to release this product with 4.8 whenever that comes out.
  • xvampire
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    update update update~
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    If EPIC is going to share the Kite project I'm going to be a very happy man.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They said they are planning on sharing it with the 4.8 release of the engine.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, finally some quality models to play around with that's more nature oriented. Which is something that the engine is lacking at the moment, I understand that the marketplace is supposed to handle that. But it's nice to not have to spend +50$ to get something more complex to play around with. Looking at gray cubes all day is getting a bit boring.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjPiGVSnfI

Sounds like Epic is going to release this product with 4.8 whenever that comes out.

Very nice work... Ive watched it bout 7 X today! :)
  • praetus
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar wrote: »
    Awesome, finally some quality models to play around with that's more nature oriented. Which is something that the engine is lacking at the moment, I understand that the marketplace is supposed to handle that. But it's nice to not have to spend +50$ to get something more complex to play around with. Looking at gray cubes all day is getting a bit boring.

There's free stuff in the marketplace too. You can get the elemental cinematic, the sci-fi hallway from Quixel, the matinee fight scene ... don't live with grey cube oppression. :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    how come unreal editor is always so sluggish. I mean I love the tech , but even when i was working full time on games with unreal engine it just chugged in every way ie rebuilding shader, ui refresh.
    perhaps I am doing somehting worng here:/
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Don't know if it would help but I always limit the editor FPS. I don't see why I need 60+ fps in the editor, with my GPU at a constant 60+ degrees as well.

Just go into Unreal Engine\4.7\Engine\Config > consolevariables.ini and add t.MaxFPS=25 or whatever.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    There's free stuff in the marketplace too. You can get the elemental cinematic, the sci-fi hallway from Quixel, the matinee fight scene ... don't live with grey cube oppression. :)

I've already looked at the assets from the elemental demo, but the Kite projects assets kinda fits my project perfectly.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    praetus wrote: »

WAIT WAIT WAIT

Are they saying that landscapes now support Distance Field Ambient Occlusion and Raytraced Distance Field Soft Shadows?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Seems like it does Makkon! This has me so stupidly excited, getting back into the engine and just fiddling about and aaaaaa, its so much fun! it brings back many great memories and feelings I haven't had in way too long.

Some paralyzed friends of my family have shown interest in something like a walking and exploration sim that runs on Occulus or similar VR headsets. Just to give them the experience of walking around in a huge beautifully detailed world again, this all seems 100% perfect for that :)
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Makkon wrote: »
    WAIT WAIT WAIT

Are they saying that landscapes now support Distance Field Ambient Occlusion and Raytraced Distance Field Soft Shadows?

Yes they should be now and with 4.8 you will have Distance Field Global Illuminaton (DFGI) their real time GI solution

Waiting with discipline :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I need that landscape GI/distance field GI for my current project, hoping 4.8 comes out soon.