Replies

• Odeca
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    I'm speechless!
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    The final renders are really nice! Thanks for showing the texture flats.

Maybe you can put this car in GTA V when its released?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Love everything about this.
    You should talk a bit about the workflow you used for modeling the car. You dont use normal maps or do you?
    does the actual car had a hipoly made for it? Or its modeled with straight up polies?
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Normal maps in this model are used only for the wheels. The rest of it is modelled straight as the final lowpoly geometry. The only quite unusual thing (i think) about my workflow are flat, double chamfers with a sharp profile (so they are just loop cuts, not real bevels), so they affect shading, but don't reshape the geometry much.

EGY0UO4.png

in Blender it can be obtained easily by beveling with 2 segments and 1.000 profile or by creating edge loops and sliding them close to the sharp geometry edges. Compared with hard edges modifier, it can do magic and make the modeling really easy.

Besides it, it's a quite standard car modeling: blueprints, googled photos, dimensions, ebays and such (perfect reference for used cars!).
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    So, the SketchFab PBR is out... and I re-uploaded my dot. :D

[SKETCHFAB]48db6facb4b64e99b60f36b8c01185e1[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Rawbert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    this is really insane, great job!
    I'm currently working on a car as well, may i know how you created the headlights / backlights?

Is it a simple plane texture or can you maybe give some help / tips for creating the lights?
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

The lights are just flat textures, nothing fancy here.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    That looks great. Man, PBR is the best. How did anyone do anything before a rigid concept of roughness?
  • RockSPb
    Offline / Send Message
    RockSPb polycounter lvl 5
    St4lis wrote: »
    That looks great. Man, PBR is the best. How did anyone do anything before a rigid concept of roughness?
    I think this is not PBR, just a classic technic and great staff)
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    RockSPb wrote: »
    I think this is not PBR, just a classic technic and great staff)

Yes, it is PBR. ;) Sketchfab now supports it.
    St4lis wrote: »

Thanks. Yeah, indeed, the difference is huge.
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Still amazed by how clean it look while there is a normal only on the wheels ... How did you baked your occlusion/cavity without a high poly ? Straight from the low or did you made it by hand ?

And how was the PBR "conversion" ? I saw this tutorial about it : http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion , but haven't tried it yet.

And, final, I spotted this : http://i.imgur.com/gFI03Y5.jpg ( You can appreciate my paint montage quality of work. ), I guess it's the reflectivity map ( Never done PBR, so, guessing. :3 ). Is it supposed to be like that or it is just a conversion mistake ? It's absolute nitpicking tho', I'm aware of it, apart from that, well holly molly it's some good damn job.
  • MALZman
    Offline / Send Message
    MALZman polycounter lvl 12
    good job the Textures lighting , well done :)
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH wrote: »
    Still amazed by how clean it look while there is a normal only on the wheels ... How did you baked your occlusion/cavity without a high poly ? Straight from the low or did you made it by hand ?

And how was the PBR "conversion" ? I saw this tutorial about it : http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion , but haven't tried it yet.

And, final, I spotted this : http://i.imgur.com/gFI03Y5.jpg ( You can appreciate my paint montage quality of work. ), I guess it's the reflectivity map ( Never done PBR, so, guessing. :3 ). Is it supposed to be like that or it is just a conversion mistake ? It's absolute nitpicking tho', I'm aware of it, apart from that, well holly molly it's some good damn job.

Thanks. The ambient maps were baked straight from the low poly then cleaned up in Photoshop.

Also, I didn't actually convert this model to PBR, since it was made for PBR from the start. However, I didn't follow up the physical rendering rules exactly, and I'm using one and the same map for specular power and glossiness (works alright on this model and I'm aware of weak points of a such workflow).
    And yes, that point. I knew someone is finally going to notice that, i just put too bright specular in here, that's why it looks like a mirror here. :)

@MALZman: thank you!
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    KMiklas wrote: »
    I knew someone is finally going to notice that

Again, it's really discrete, spot it when I was looking at the topo, can't spot it unless you're really close ... Still one of the most ass kicking 3D car I've seen in a while. :poly124:
    KMiklas wrote: »
    and the same map for specular power and glossiness

What are you calling Spec and Gloss ? Is it Microsurface and reflectivity ? I'm kinda lost in that all PBR thing, often I see people thay used a diffuse on a PBR render, isn't it supposed to be albedo .. ? Or maybe you can use the "old" maps structure for PBR rendering ? :/
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I know, being aware I might be wrong with those definitions:

Diffuse: color map, often mixed with ambient occlusion and some pre-baked or painted light.

Albedo (in some cases still called diffuse): color map; contains information about color only, no lighting or ambient baked into it.

Specular in old gen workflow defines color and/or intensity of a specular highlight reflected on the surface. In PBR it defines amount of specular (envmap) light reflected. It sometimes can also contain color info for metalic surfaces.

Glossiness/roughness maps are indeed microsurface maps, defining how the light is diffused on the surface.

I'd say there are no strict rules about how albedo/diffuse should be done for PBR, some say AO and any light is strictly prohibited, some say its alright to play with it for static objects or just help the lighting a bit. It all depends on the engine you work in, its lighting, art direction you follow/made up.

Punto, for example, has AO information baked in albedo map, eventhough Sketchfab allows to put the ambient map in a dedicated slot. It surely works nice, but in game development it means another texture channel and texture memory wasted. So if an engine makes no difference if i put it separately or just bake in, it means a good oportunity to save some memory.

Answering to your last question: yes, you can use them. They won't work and look as good as dedicated maps, but for sure the model will look better. If you have no gloss map prepared, try using specular (invert for roughness).
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Wow. Thanks for that in-depth answer, thanks a lot. ^^
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, it was already great, with PBR it is excellent! Some parts like the detail on the windows dirt look really interesting!
  • Jerry_Royals
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerry_Royals polycounter lvl 3
    How did you get the shadow underneath the car? In wireframe mode I notice there's a plane under the car. Was this done in photoshop? Is it an ambient occlusion map? I've been trying to get an ao map but not sure how with a transparent plane.

These are awesome renders that you posted.
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you get the shadow underneath the car? In wireframe mode I notice there's a plane under the car. Was this done in photoshop? Is it an ambient occlusion map? I've been trying to get an ao map but not sure how with a transparent plane.

These are awesome renders that you posted.

Thanks. It's indeed an ambient occlusion texture used as alpha mask on a black, non reflective plane.
  • gunsrlove
    Oh wow, this looks amazing. Really jealous of the texture work.

Out of curiosity, and i'm sorry if I missed a post about it, but how long would say that this whole endeavor took you, modeling, textures and all ?
  • ollitei
    Fancy seeing your Punto here as well! Great seeing the texture breakdowns after seeing the glorious final work on Sketchfab earlier.

Truly inspiring stuff.
  • Skibur
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the inspiring work! :)
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    gunsrlove wrote: »
    Oh wow, this looks amazing. Really jealous of the texture work.

Out of curiosity, and i'm sorry if I missed a post about it, but how long would say that this whole endeavor took you, modeling, textures and all ?

I think it was about 1-2 weeks full time, though spread for about two months, was just making it for fun.

@ollitei: @Skibur: thank you :)
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Have to ask, how did you create the normals for your tires? Sculpt of from photo?
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban wrote: »
    Have to ask, how did you create the normals for your tires? Sculpt of from photo?

Baked down this:
    ZWB5D8g.jpg
    to this:
    ZIkdQ0c.jpg

:)
  • JamesTKirk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Fantastic work!
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the info. Im just always amazed at really clean nrm bakes. Great job!
    Love the amount of detail