Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• TommyTehZombie
    New Pudge hook, just gotta do the masks now.

87Bt8Bc.png
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nicely done Konras !!
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    @prosto Like what kite said, it doesn't look Chinese at all to me.
    @Konras crazy nice, dude! Great job!
    @kite The new color looks better!
    @Tommy I think the colors need some tweak and be more desaturated to better fit Pudge.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Seriously though, do you really think we should make chinese references to the china event? Later on we might end up having country themes if this is really the way forward.

Edit: nvm, it is clearly written on the announcement. ><
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Konras: Magical work on the lina set. it boggles my mind the process you work with in zbrush to get such results.

The axe is ingame with what I believe is final/semi final maps. Please feedback before I go to the marketing stage.

EZQIa08.jpg
    uTbS4ys.gif
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    @Vayne: That came out really nice! I'm not 100% sure about the glowing pole it pulls the attention away from the head and edges, I would probably go with something like the swirly metal you used on the horns, maybe with some red glow coming through here and there. The glowing edges feel as if they could use a bit more saturation, mainly if you look at the horse's head gear in comparison. I don't know... I think it looks great as it is :)

@Konras: That sculpt looks great! So clean...

@Kite: Gyro and the spring theme make for a neat combination. Curious as to what the rest of the set will look like.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    china-newyear-courier2.jpg

x-post - blockout for the courier - no horse yet
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Is there anyone who knows how to animate and is willing to co-op to make this horse-dragon ulti for Shadow Shaman for this coming Chinese New year? Thanks

sqfr.jpg
  • Gaiascope
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaiascope polycounter lvl 4
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    @Konras: Magical work on the lina set. it boggles my mind the process you work with in zbrush to get such results.

The axe is ingame with what I believe is final/semi final maps. Please feedback before I go to the marketing stage.

uTbS4ys.gif

I'm no expert, so I hope I don't overstep any boundaries by sharing my opinion, but I took the liberty of making a paintover.
    2AvBiIQ.png

Forgive my shabby drawing skills. But I think while your item looks good already, it could be improved. Like Tyn pointed out, the handle was a bit bright, probably. I think it would serve the item better to have a gradient going from dark near the hand to light near the weapon itself. You could incorporate the molten magma plate aspects observed in the horns of the mount and CK himself.

Similarly, I think having a sharper, more defined gradient on the weapon's blades could make the item pop more and help it stand out more in-game, while also giving you the chance to match it with the hero better by using the molten magma plate design again to some extend. Don't be afraid to use some harder edges in your textures, it can help the design translate better.

Again, I'm no expert and all of this is simply my humble opinion. Do with it what you want, no hard feelings if you decide you like your item better the way it is. It's a great looking item either way :P

Best of luck with it, I hope to see it in-game at some point!
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Konras wrote: »
    Ahh I didn't think about its as a proper tutorial. Thing is that I have never thought that I can say anything about zbrush that others could make use of haha :D

Anyway I have hopefully finished the hipoly. Needed to change couple of things because I was not able to make them look cool sadly the way they were on concept :/ Now I will move to the cave and try to retopo it. I wonder how much detail I will need to skip because of tri limits :p
    Vg73eUP.png

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Amazing job, sir! And thanks so much for sharing your knowledge :D
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Gaiascope wrote: »
    I'm no expert, so I hope I don't overstep any boundaries by sharing my opinion, but I took the liberty of making a paintover.

Forgive my shabby drawing skills. But I think while your item looks good already, it could be improved. Like Tyn pointed out, the handle was a bit bright, probably. I think it would serve the item better to have a gradient going from dark near the hand to light near the weapon itself. You could incorporate the molten magma plate aspects observed in the horns of the mount and CK himself.

Similarly, I think having a sharper, more defined gradient on the weapon's blades could make the item pop more and help it stand out more in-game, while also giving you the chance to match it with the hero better by using the molten magma plate design again to some extend. Don't be afraid to use some harder edges in your textures, it can help the design translate better.

Again, I'm no expert and all of this is simply my humble opinion. Do with it what you want, no hard feelings if you decide you like your item better the way it is. It's a great looking item either way :P

Best of luck with it, I hope to see it in-game at some point!

:thumbup: I agree and like what this would add to your piece
  • foxclover
    Konras> shitballs, the detail! i'M LOVING the skirt, it's so pretty~

Vayne> I actually like the subtleness of your polypainting, I don't think it's necessary to change the weapon blades much. Maybe run a hard bright edge along the curve of the blades..... But the crit on the handle is solid. It looks much nicer in Gaiascope's paintover. Great job, you. :>

Kite212> Looks much nicer with the bright reds.

As an aside, is anyone willing to work with me and Soldeus on the mirana concept I posted before? We have concerns about finishing it in time for the deadline, and having another person on board would be great.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    foxclover wrote: »
    Konras> shitballs, the detail! i'M LOVING the skirt, it's so pretty~

Vayne> I actually like the subtleness of your polypainting, I don't think it's necessary to change the weapon blades much. Maybe run a hard bright edge along the curve of the blades..... But the crit on the handle is solid. It looks much nicer in Gaiascope's paintover. Great job, you. :>

Kite212> Looks much nicer with the bright reds.

As an aside, is anyone willing to work with me and Soldeus on the mirana concept I posted before? We have concerns about finishing it in time for the deadline, and having another person on board would be great.

Thanks I love the red too! Mango did a great job on the color map redo! What kind of help are you looking for? I LOVE the set concept, and would like to help, but i fear depending on what you guys need I may not have the time
  • Prosomogy
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Bloody snag
    09165C9CEEEB6CAC45B50D3B21D12CCD9AAB263B

Billy Baroo hook, I like it :thumbup:
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Just finished a single item for the spring comp:)

79DF5A200BA6AB41D44984CBBEFF8E0570903893

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=208767968
  • PoPcorn
    Did you tag your submission with the Spring2014 tag? I'm not seeing any submission when I search just for Spring2014 items.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    A brand spankin new walk cycle for elephant-bro.

qnIu3Qb.gif

Hot off da press.

A side to side view is located in my thread, Im just trying to make waywo not so gif heavy.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @mihal: The blade doesn't look sharp on the edge. Did you use a single smoothing group?
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    A brand spankin new walk cycle for elephant-bro.

qnIu3Qb.gif

Hot off da press.

A side to side view is located in my thread, Im just trying to make waywo not so gif heavy.

try waving those giant ears.
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Guys i need help . I encountered rendering problem .keuy.png

Final rendering ( right ) and preview rendering ( left ) has different lighting ( final looks shitty ) . Any 1 know the problem ?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest entry. Not only was the concept great, but I added a custom animation for the alternate autoattack animation. Special thanks to Prophet9 for his guidance and putting up with me harassing him continously with questions! He is awesome!

Unstoppable Chaos by Vayne and Noblebatterfly

039A7F6774786F97BCBB1B29A6B3919E6385AD3A

yWizTh9.jpg
    ubvAmqE.gif
    F3uyx44.gif
    TJ1dgLt.gif

Please excuse me for not including ingame gifs of the new animation since testing in game broke other stuff and so it wasn't really practical to show.

Hope you like this. Link is on the Promo art if you would like to vote ^^.
  • Erni
    Hey guys. Soon I will start my concepts thread.. For now, I drew a concept for Batrider mount in the style of Chinese culture for Spring 2014. Will be glad to your comments and criticism.
    P.S. Mount is half chinese lion.bbMd1gd.jpg
    P.S.S. Other set parts concepts will be finished soon
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800 :hah , ty for that ; updated the submision and the gif :)

PoPcorn: I made a collection for all my single items , and added a tag there
    You cant see the submisions until the 1th or stming I think:)

E65944A912223C8B25A77E7318CBC6B5A9FACD2E
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Prosomogy WOW now when I see such hook I cant belive no one came up with this idea before, it looks so great!!!
    @mihalceanu Fine weapon sir!! However we will kill you if you dont check what happened with sharp edge of this lance :D
    @heboltz3 I double what marul said. Those ears should be less rigid. Looking forward to progress on this courier!!
    @Vayne This axe looks better than axiest Axes axe! It fits CK soo well!
    @BohSheh 3DSMax is so stupid, that there can be many problems. However try checking those:
    - right click on low poly object and select "object properties", later is "adv. lightning" tab turn off "cast shadows" checkbox
    - in render setup window go to "advanced lightning" tab and chose method "light tracker"
    - check your UVs of model and see if you don't have both symmetry pieces in the same place. If you have save your file and move inverted parts outside of UV area for time of rendering
    - check if you don't have any other models than hipoly added to projection list for your low poly.
    Thats all I can thing as for now, I hope you will win with those artifacts :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800: The axe turned out really nice, great work!

BohSheh: your issue seems to be from a few things. It appears that the issue could be coming from bad triangulation mixed with your smoothing groups conflicting with your uv, i.e. if a smoothing group breaks your mesh break the uv as well. You can see where the lighting is bad in your "preview render" its just more noticeable in the render to texture output. Hope this helps
  • BohSheh
    Offline / Send Message
    BohSheh polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    @BohSheh 3DSMax is so stupid, that there can be many problems. However try checking those:
    - right click on low poly object and select "object properties", later is "adv. lightning" tab turn off "cast shadows" checkbox
    - in render setup window go to "advanced lightning" tab and chose method "light tracker"
    - check your UVs of model and see if you don't have both symmetry pieces in the same place. If you have save your file and move inverted parts outside of UV area for time of rendering
    - check if you don't have any other models than hipoly added to projection list for your low poly.
    Thats all I can thing as for now, I hope you will win with those artifacts :)

Thx for reply , i am using mental ray btw . Non of them works :(
    kite212 wrote: »
    Vayne4800: The axe turned out really nice, great work!

BohSheh: your issue seems to be from a few things. It appears that the issue could be coming from bad triangulation mixed with your smoothing groups conflicting with your uv, i.e. if a smoothing group breaks your mesh break the uv as well. You can see where the lighting is bad in your "preview render" its just more noticeable in the render to texture output. Hope this helps

What is the solution ? Make my mesh into 1 smoothing group ? My low poly do have alot of smoothing group actually . *** the left picture is high poly*
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    We finished the bomb!

Workshop:
    DragonBombPromo.jpg
    BohSheh wrote: »
    Thx for reply , i am using mental ray btw . Non of them works :( What is the solution ? Make my mesh into 1 smoothing group ? My low poly do have alot of smoothing group actually . *** the left picture is high poly*

The solution is that your model and workflow are fundamentally flawed.You need to understand the fundamentals of low poly modeling and texture baking. Vlads guide would be a really good place to start:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149270397
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Does anyone know the polycount and texture limitations on legion commander? there is no info on the technical requirements page atm.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know the polycount and texture limitations on legion commander? there is no info on the technical requirements page atm.

Did you check the importer?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Head 400/750 256x256;
    Weapon 450/530 256x256;
    Back 520/700 256x256;
    Shoulder 500/975 256x256;
    Arms 300/400 256x256.
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Thanks For the Specs Vlad/Kite212 !
  • Prosomogy
    Earth Spirit weapon wip
    3RHUp2v58WQ.jpg
    Dragon Knight weapon wip
    WXip7FnESpY.jpg
  • Pelzoor
  • Esuka
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone, I was hoping you might be willing to help with some problems I've run into on my latest attempt.

I've been working on a peach blossom brooch for Enchantress as part of Dota's upcoming Year of the Horse event. I've gotten the model and the texture where I want it, but I wanted to upload it into Dota2 to check the shaders. That's where I started to run into problems.

At one point, I had the model load properly and the color texture appeared as it should. However, the shaders didn't appear to be loading, and the texture needed a bit of cleaning up. On subsequent uploads, the texture was fuzzy and uneven, as if the UV's were bugged in the export. When I reimported the file to Maya, however, everything checked out. The shaders still refuse to load properly, and I decided to call it a night when subsequent exports (in .fbx) no longer attached the hairpiece to her head. It now sits in the ground between her hooves.

I haven't attached any files yet, as I do not know what would be useful. If you would be so kind as to let me know, I will get them along to you asap. Thank you for your help, and Happy New Year.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I was hoping you might be willing to help with some problems I've run into on my latest attempt.

I've been working on a peach blossom brooch for Enchantress as part of Dota's upcoming Year of the Horse event. I've gotten the model and the texture where I want it, but I wanted to upload it into Dota2 to check the shaders. That's where I started to run into problems.

At one point, I had the model load properly and the color texture appeared as it should. However, the shaders didn't appear to be loading, and the texture needed a bit of cleaning up. On subsequent uploads, the texture was fuzzy and uneven, as if the UV's were bugged in the export. When I reimported the file to Maya, however, everything checked out. The shaders still refuse to load properly, and I decided to call it a night when subsequent exports (in .fbx) no longer attached the hairpiece to her head. It now sits in the ground between her hooves.

I haven't attached any files yet, as I do not know what would be useful. If you would be so kind as to let me know, I will get them along to you asap. Thank you for your help, and Happy New Year.

Sorry not a Maya guy, but I have seen others haveing issues with specific version of fbx being buggy. Personally I use smd over fbx. I find them to be much more reliable, so my advice would be to export as a reference smd. As for the texture quality what resolution are you using? It will be crushed down to around 256 depending on its specs. Dota seems to smooth and not sharpen when it crushes down the textures. Personally I make my own game rez textures for a sharper quality to them.
  • Esuka
    Offline / Send Message
    Esuka polycounter lvl 8
    kite212 wrote: »
    Sorry not a Maya guy, but I have seen others haveing issues with specific version of fbx being buggy. Personally I use smd over fbx. I find them to be much more reliable, so my advice would be to export as a reference smd. As for the texture quality what resolution are you using? It will be crushed down to around 256 depending on its specs. Dota seems to smooth and not sharpen when it crushes down the textures. Personally I make my own game rez textures for a sharper quality to them.

Hi Kite,

I've been using fbx since Maya has that from the beginning, but I can look into finding an smd plugin. For the texture quality, I recall on the workshop tips to work in 4x resolution, so ive been working in 1024. I tried resizing the textures myself, but it didn't seem to help. For the time being, I'm just leaving them in 1024 to save a step.
  • Erni
    More drawings for Batrider
    7D11zo0.jpg
    SK4YAEi.png
    :)
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Hi guys!
    I made a couple of items for spring2014. Hope you like it:

1BE4208B7C6DAA0A80E14AD8515359D5BC3A644C
    F5C98F48AE5014518B9301FD17056C66D2C57556
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Both amazing Kraken, awesome work!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kraken those are beautiful items. Such detail, crispy textures, fits dota style well, that to want more!!
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Both really nice, i particularly like the spear!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    that spear looks great! well done
  • Plant
    Anyone rigged a tide offhand recently? Getting a stiff object no matter what :/

Even when I import the default file! Makes it hard to try a proof of concept.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I finally finished these 2 swords for Ember Spirit. Go check'em both ;)
    The concept was made by Hawf

8C8qnqp.jpg

5c0jAe3.jpg
  • MagnoHusein
    @motenai whoa it's impressive how you do all these details and they don't loose quality in game! kudos~ :)

---

Some early sketch of a deathward for a upcoming witch doctor set:

PBB1K6d.png

The old one doesnt work, so this time we will just make the frog play the beat, instead spitting ultimate. Any advices?
  • cagdasx44
    I dont think we can see the frog ingame because his ulti makes the area purple.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    WIP of a sword for a set SLIMEface and I are working on for the China theme.

yzcgN2P.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    WIP of a sword for a set SLIMEface and I are working on for the China theme.

This is looking really cool, can't wait to see the rest
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok LOD0 models ready. I wanted to preview them with 256px texture sizes just to see if there will be something more than one big blob of pixels :D Belt part is a little blurry, however it should be fine for character size on the screen during ingame/menu pose so I am pretty happy with the result. Now just to rig this up :) Of course textures are passed now to Madzia :D
    MhDaRNn.png

ps. We have changed her hairstyle a bit, because this previous one had less Chinese style in our opinion, hope this one is better :)