Home Technical Talk

Maya, bevel issue ...

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
Can someone tell me why is that happening ?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx8cFHgjA9g[/ame]

It's kinda random, sometime it does that, sometimes not ... Gadamit.

Thx for the answers. o/

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Lol Maya bevels ftw... This happens to me a lot, the maya modeling tools drive me nuts sometimes as well XO
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    What do you do when this happen ? Cut edges and bevel by hand ? :-(
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    You have extra geometry, if you delete the extra vertices then it will bevel the way you want it to.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Well, if I want to a piece beveled on both the length and the corners, I'll have to bevel on another bevel at some point. And the extra geometry doesn't really seems to pose problem, all those transitions are smooths, its just 1 point on the 10 mooved that goes ape shit sometimes. ( Cause it most of the time work, which is imo even more frustrating. )
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    ( And sorry for the mod who had to move me, I'm pretty much new here, didn't saw that sub. :-( )
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    On the topic of bevels...3ds max:

gAKi50S.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    NovaaH, what I would do is delete history and try it again. If it doesn't work then, try the checkbox "Use Legacy Boolean Algorithm", which will often help with issues like this one.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also check my construction history, try deleting before the scale operation. If you never use the construction history for anything useful then there's a button at the top and far to the right to disable/enable it.
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Joost wrote: »
    On the topic of bevels...3ds max:

gAKi50S.png

Autodesk quality for you sir.
    Joopson wrote: »
    NovaaH, what I would do is delete history and try it again. If it doesn't work then, try the checkbox "Use Legacy Boolean Algorithm", which will often help with issues like this one.

Delete history didn't worked, but that boolean trick did ! Thx a lot sir ! Didn't even knew that Bevel had all those option, I just assumed the option on the toolkit where the only one ( Segment/offset ), just like extrude ... Thanks a lot, again.
    kodde wrote: »
    I'd also check my construction history, try deleting before the scale operation.

No, I know about that history thing, every time something doesn't work, it's the first thing I try, Freeze modification, delete history. :p
    kodde wrote: »
    If you never use the construction history for anything useful then there's a button at the top and far to the right to disable/enable it.

Is it the little trash bin ? An option like that would actually interest me, but nothing happen when I click on it. :/
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    vqPyac.jpg

It's easy to forget that you disabled this and then for some odd operations you might be used to actually modifying the construction history. This can easily throw you off and cause some headache :)
  • NovaaH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Found it, thanks ! ^^

And don't worry, I know how dangerous having no history can be, I'll be careful. o>