Home Unreal Engine

Subsurface Scattering ( Human Skin) How ???

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Hey mates.

I am very new to UE4. Just cant get a damn SSS going for a simple character model and I couldn't find much about it around except that it only works with a single point light and fails with spotlights around.

Any experience tips tricks from where to start ?

Here is how it looks now:

bWHch4h.jpg

How it supposed o look:

fsXcJqC.jpg

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You should use subsurface profile instead of subsurface for skin shading in most cases, unless the skin shader isn't taking much space on screen or will never be a focal point of the player (which might be the case in an RTS unless you're using the model for animated unit portraits). It does subsurface scattering in screen space and tends to give better results. The default subsurface profile is accurate for human Caucasian skin given that your base color texture accurately depicts the color of the epidermis, although you still don't get a fuzz map input like Marmoset so you'll have to fake that effect if you want it. If you use the subsurface profile shading model you should note that you can use the opacity input to mask the subsurface effect, and while opacity of 0 means 100% of the subsurface effect with the subsurface shading model, opacity of 0 means 0% of the subsurface effect with the subsurface profile shading model. So, for you skin bits make the mask white and for your non-skin bits make the mask black for subsurface profile.

You also can't have any metallic bits for materials that use subsurface profile shading, so you should make sure to have a separate material slot for all your armor that's made of metal.

Welcome to Unreal Engine :)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    The difference between the two images is only the lighting condition, not the lack of SSS.

But there are tons of other issues you should focus on even before that.

- everything is blurry
    - the beard doesn't blend with the skin at all
    - the facial structure looks mushy and improvised, you should definitely focus on anatomy
    - the eyes stick out, they are off scaled and not shaded properly
    - the cloth doesn't look like cloth, not on a sculpting level and also not on the shading, why is it so glossy?
    - the textures are basically just one color + shading? if not you should definitely work more on them, because right now it looks like that.

as before with the realtime GI you are searching for a technical solution thats just the tip of the iceberg. While SSS is a nice to have here, and definitely great for skin, you should concentrate on cleaner sculpt, models and textures before you try to find a technical solution that will only slightly enhance your art.
    It seems like you are trying to use technology to shortcut around the foundations you will need, no matter what.

And before you tick out again, i am perfectly calm, just stating the obvious ;)
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    No Neox in fact I am just using an old model to understand how things work.

I am focusing on form on my studies. In fact instead of here if you can leave a few crits here I would be more than happy to comply since I am just at the sculpting process only. I want to improve myself everyday.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143814

Thanks for your care and crits.