Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Elliot Betancourt

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ElliotB polycounter lvl 6
Hello! Here is my first entry into my sketchbook, its something that I have been working on for the past month or so and although its not quite as good as some other Game of Throne sculpts I have seen recently. Its progress in my book and that feels pretty good. Please enjoy the sculpt and let me know what you think, critiques are welcome on this piece and every single piece I post up on this sketchbook.

Cheers!

[IMG][/img]9905419414_f11bc58e51_b.jpg
Catelyn Final Render by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr

Replies

• ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a sculpt I did a while ago, but I have recently re-visited this piece and made some improvements. This sculpt was based on Luke "Mr Jack" Mancini' concept art of the overlord. This was actually the first personal sculpt I did in zbrush outside of tutorials and it was really a learning experience. I had no idea what polygroups were and almost everything was done with clay buildup and dam standard brush. I will also post the old render to compare with the new one.

Cheers!

Old Render 9971547863_de34563678_b.jpg
    Old Overlord Render by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr

New Render 9971560203_3d648ed17d_b.jpg
    New Overlord Render by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a sculpt of a River Zora that I am working on, its from the Legend of Zelda series. Still a work in progress but its getting there, please let me know your thoughts :)\

10337386076_d8bc086eb2_b.jpg
    ZoraWIP2 by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, major sculpting has been completed, now its on to high frequency detail and then polypaint :D Let me know what you guys think.

10435224493_9683ef3501_b.jpg
    ZoraWIP3 by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Folks, its been a while since my last update by I promise you I was hard at work. Here I present to you the River Zora. This was sculpted, textured, lit and rendered inside of Zbrush and put together in Photoshop. Cheers!

10813222526_26f1b44d2c_b.jpg
    RiverZora_noSite by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr

10813273476_94614060db_b.jpg
    ProgressionComp_noSite by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr
  • paulchen83
    Good progress...keep up the good work. i think the chest need more muscle definition even if you are not going for muscular type becoz you have cavity at the ribs which suggest "boney-ness" if u catch my drift. it is just so the muscle structure blend and transit better for that area. and the feet webbing needs to have more connectiveness, look more like there is tension between the "branches" and the webbing. Also, perhaps adding a bit of green tinted veins. The pose looks a bit stiff also and for a two toe creature, the toes would have to be thicker and bigger to suppose its movement and balance. Anyway, you would turn on sss when u do a BPR, results r better, dont u think? doesnt look like you used sss...
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulchen83, thank you for the feedback. Oddly enough I actually did use SSS in my render, if you look at the outline of the left leg and in other areas there is a faint red outline, this is the SSS. I remember it being a little stronger but I think during composting it may have gotten lost in the process.

In regards to the chest definition are you talking about that small area underneath the pec but above the ribcage? I think I see what you mean by not having a smooth transition. For the foot webbing tension would you recommend straightening out the webbing so it doesnt appear to have so much slack?

You are absolutely right about the toes. now that I look at it the toes do look a bit too thin to hold up this frame. I think imagining this guy as an aquatic creature threw me off and didnt really pay attention to weight distribution.

Thanks again for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. This is my first piece that I have textured, rendered and composited so I absolutely have a lot to learn and you have shown me some things to look out for.
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Been working on this Moblin, he is inspired from the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time enemy unit with my own personal twists. I hope you like it, as always feedback is welcomed and keep an eye out for the final fully painted version before the end of the year.

11303545043_672706d72b_b.jpg
    MoblinWIP_10 by ElliotBetancourt, on Flickr
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the final painted version of the Moblin, hope you like it.

Moblin_Render.jpg
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey peeps, here is an update to an old model I did. I felt like I could do a better job on this sculpt so I fired up the old file and gave it some more love, let me know what you guys think.

Beauty_Comp_Char.jpg

Overlord_Views.jpg
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    Love how juicy his sides look! The texture you went for on his carapace really makes me think of the microscopic photograph they take of dust mites! Really well done!
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Yeah I wanted to make sure that the carapace was nice and grungy, and to contrast I wanted to have that wet organic look to the sides of its body where the sacks of fluid are held. I am so glad that you enjoyed the sculpt, cheers!
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to be a Necromancer, its been so long since I updated this bad boy. I have done quite a few projects and models since my last entry, however I will just post my most recent work and will plan to keep this more up to date in the future.

Latest work is a Zbrush sculpt based on a concept by the awesome Allen Williams, hope you like.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Looking great Elliot! Turned out really nice
    Congrats on making the news page :)
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you and thank you Sanna :smile:
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you also to Polycount as well for the frontpage. Never thought I would ever have anything worthy of such an honor.
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    I also have a progress thread going on as I work my way through an online course with Gio Nakpil on mastering organic modeling. We are all working on separate characters and I thought it would be fun to post a work in progress as I get to the final character. Here is the link if you want to follow along, thanks again for all the support.
  • avagoyamug
    Offline / Send Message
    avagoyamug polycounter lvl 9
    Love what you did with the upper part of her face! Great concept!
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Avagoyamug, yeah Allen Williams has amazing work. I knew that part of the face would be difficult but fun.
  • queenofrice
    Offline / Send Message
    queenofrice polycounter lvl 5
    Love your work - looking forward to seeing more! Thank you for sharing and great job on getting front page!
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFriends, I am sorry for letting this thread die. I would like to pick it back up as I have something to share with you all right now. And I have a lot personal pieces in the works that I am eager to share. For the past year I have been working at Turtle Rock Studios as a Character Artist working on a VR title. Now I can finally share my work with you all as the game has shipped as of last week! The game is called The Well and I had a lot of fun working on it. 

I want to share one of the characters I worked on here and I will include my artstation link so you can see all the characters and environments I worked on.  Thank you for your time and I hope you enjoy, keep a look out for me as I want to share some more stuff with you all later!

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Looking great there Elliot!
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Sanna :)
  • ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy Halloween! Here is some stuff I have been working on for the last week. Just practicing doing art free of concepts and or expectations. Has been fun look forward to doing more.

• ElliotB
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycounters! Back again with my latest piece, hope you enjoy. More images on my ArtStation page, cheers!