Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Illustration practice

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
razz polycounter lvl 9
Sweet, a 2d section on polycount! I'll go ahead and post an illustration I'm working on right now. In need of critique.

hnhFlnu.jpg

Replies

• razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, Dado, thanks for dropping by. Mainly now I am not completely satisfied with how the wolf's fur looks and it overall seems to be a bit flat, but I don't want to paint every strand and have it photo real. Some similar things in the environment, like the main trees lacking forms. There's also some other stuff, but I need to play around and see if it would actually improve the piece or not, like having some dappled light throughout. But yeah, without some things I want to experiment with, just give it more form without overrendering. Think Jaime Jones here ;]
    Speaking about the process, I think it was a bit unusual how much the illustration changed while I was working on it. Here's some early wips:
    Xr0QoWn.jpg
    Qs9ydzy.jpg
  • Vielmond
    You don't need to paint every single strand to make it look good. (:

Fur, like hair, isn't merely "a collection of strands spread evenly over an area", they tend to "clump" together. That's what produces the shape flow and that's the reason some paintings look somehow overworked. Under certain lights and distances you can't see the strands at all, just the flow. In case of fur this flow will often manifest itself through 'layers' of fur, which are quite noticeable on curved and bent surfaces. (see attachment for example)

Another reason to not get distracted by the texture is the danger of getting caught up in it and overlooking the shape. Try to define the shape and volume first, through light and shadow, saturation and fog. It's harder to correct the volume in a highly-textured area later. In your sketches the wolf's volume reads better than in the process shot despite having no shadow like the later version.

That happens because:
    1. Your highlights are a bit off. You have highlighted edges but no source for them. I'm from the opinion that everything is permitted to achieve great results, however, in this case they're not helping to read the wolf's volume, they're flattening it. Also, the highlighted areas in his belly are of similar hue of other parts, they should have a bluish tint due the light bouncing on the snow. Experiment with subtler highlights on the edges, darker and more irregular. If you need to bring more light to help reading the image, bring it bit later on the painting process.
    2. His colors are jumping from saturated colors to gray-looking shadows. The whole scene is highly saturated, even the shadows, but he isn't exactly following the pattern and doesn't seem to have that "eerie splash of color" look either. I'm mentioning this because depending on the look you wish him to have you'll obscure more or less of his fur texture, particularly on shadowed and far back areas.
    3. There is a lot of light going on this scene. You've applied shadows to his hind legs, but a light blue looking fog + simplified texture might make sense there. Experiment!

TL;DR, take a look in the whole scene saturation too. It's too saturated and blue/purple, you might benefit from saturation variation, green/grayer shadows in the middle ground, etc. On a sidenote I loved those trees! Good call on their rugged trunks!

P.s.: I can't figure how to make the attach button work, it changes Attachment not found.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Veilmond, most of us host images off site using the tags. I usually use imgur or my own server.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Vielmond, I can't thank you enough for great critique! I should write some of that stuff down ;] Thanks for taking the time and writing all that up. My illustration did change quite drastically again though, which also means I'm repainting the wolf. I'll try not making the same mistakes again.

Muzz, imgur in my case too, work great ;]

My friend did a nice overpaint for me (this is not his overpaint, but me heading in his suggested direction), so here's how it looks now.
    E5dD2Ie.jpg
  • Cyrzo
    I think its pretty nice work.
  • Alchimi
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchimi polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Razz. Nice work. It looks much better now. Way better sense of light (and thus space), also the mood is adding a very nice story sense to it. Curious to see how this comes out when finished.

(Also, Vielmond's crits were right on the point!)
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Cyrzo, thanks!

Alchimi, thanks a lot! I'm really looking forward to sitting down and getting this new version painted out, things have been busy lately.

Here's the stuff that kept me busy. Some style studies for the project at school.
    Y6WUmnG.jpg
    a4apbAh.jpg
    jVV70nZ.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Those are beautiful Razz.
  • limeforce
    Offline / Send Message
    limeforce polycounter lvl 7
    The mood and the lighting look nice, but I feel the face of the wolf needs more definition as it is the focal point of the scene.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Lotet, thanks a lot!!

Limeforce, it is an early work in progress on the wolf since I changed the whole pose, need to paint everything again. I'll go ahead and work out the wolf next ;]

Sorry for the slow progress guys, personal issues are getting in the way...here's something to keep this updated
    IfRRLA3.jpg

I also had the previous wolf worked out a bit more before changing it completely. Was going in a better direction I think. I'll try and use what I've learned on the new one.
    uaM7272.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    More school project work

yBNx4SF.jpg
    gD3UOoo.jpg
  • hamstocks
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    dude, those paintings are sick!!! you have a really unique style too, lookin forward to more of your work
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    The second rendition of the wolf looks much more solid than the original, awesome job!
  • Valerien
    I really love the cleanliness and simplicity of your pieces! They read really well!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Hamstocks, thanks a lot!! Thing is though, it's more true that I don't have a style. I keep needing to change styles from one project to another and I do enjoy trying out different things ;]

SaboR1996, thanks! I think it looks much better too, I just need to render it out, ha. I like where it is going now, and I wasn't sure when I was painting the previous one, so that's good.

Valerien, thank you! That's a big compliment, cause it was exactly what I was going for, easy to read and simple. It will only appear for such a short time on screen, must be clear in seconds.

So, I'm in a bit of a trap where I have a lot of things started and that means all of them are moving slowly. Here's one, a study after Jeremy Mann, brilliant painter! WIP
    6Ty1hRB.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    That last study is looking great! That could be a final piece in places if that's the look you're going for. I may do some studies off of Manns' work, I had forgotten how good he was, haha.

Lots of improvement so far!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Avanthera, thanks a lot! I do enjoy painterly looking pieces, but I am pushing this forward. Kind of have a wish to pick up oils after looking at Manns' painting for hours while doing this study.

Putting this on hold for a few weeks, it's exam time!

Working on a 3D character for the exam, check it out here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2074260#post2074260
  • Mossed Neuronn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossed Neuronn polycounter lvl 5
    razz, really, really nice works! I especially love these stylized environments and Jeremy Mann study piece with minimalistic brush strokes.

Agree with Avanthera, lots of improvement.
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks, Mossed Neuronn! I'm glad you like it.

Calling this one done. Now, back to the wolf, hopefully...
    ntPSpMa.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Wow, that is beautiful! Love the brushstrokes and style you got there!
  • achillesian
    this last one's amazing
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Lotet, thanks! Played around with brushes a lot with that one. Great exercise for sure!

Achillesian, thank you! Been a while since I did a study like that, it was nice. Lots of things to learn that way.

Started on a self-portrait, sorry wolf!

xevqgNd.jpg

And this was a collaboration with http://kehlet.tumblr.com/, first digital, then I painted it traditionally. I lost this piece when moving to another apartment ;[

j69btx2.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Beautiful stuff!
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    Stinkhorse, thanks a lot!

Been a bit down these days, so haven't done a lot. Here's something though
    XJJbkrE.jpg
  • razz
    Offline / Send Message
    razz polycounter lvl 9
    I sure am good at leaving that wolf piece behind. Here's something else again ;]

DbWnsmN.jpg