Home› Unreal Engine

Magnify Glass Material?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might know how to go about creating a "magnify" type effect on a material for UE4, such as the glass effect seen in a magnify glass.

I've been trying to figure it out but haven't had any luck finding any information. I know they had a similar effect in Kliener's Lab in Half-life 2, so I'm hoping it's possible.

It's not supposed to be on a scope tied to the first-person view, more like being on an environment prop/literally a magnify glass if that changes anything on how I should go about it. I might be able to live with just having it be plain glass with a high fresnel + refraction, but I'd really love to get the thing actually magnifying what's on the other side of the glass.

Thanks!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hi. You can use a gradient to control the strength of the magnify effect. It will do it more on the brighter pixels, and less on the darker pixels. What you need, is to add (or maybe multiply...sorry, I should test it first) this control map to the coordinates of the scenetexture. The downside of this would be that you would get the effect on anything before the glass too. The simple refraction feature can work too anyways.