Home Unreal Engine

Can you paint to texture in UE4? (Not vertex colors)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

I was contemplating on trying to build a terrain shader solution in UE4 which is based on texture based splat data and not a vertex colored based one.

So my question, can you paint to texture in UE4(not paint to vertex)?

Thanks!

Replies

• JoakimMellergard
    Hej Kostas!

In the paint tool there is an option to toggle between vertex colors and texture. Never really used it but by looking at the tool options it seems to have enough features to be useful.

Good luck!

edit: is it for the shader course at TGA? :)
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hello Joakim!

Ah you're right. Doesn't seem to work with UE4 landscapes or BSP though? I'm only getting it enabled when I've got a model selected.

Yeah I'm doing some research for the Real Time Strategy game project.
  • wes.sau
    Texture paint only supports static mesh actors afaik. And in UE3/UDK (they might have fixed it in UE4) it wouldn't work if the mesh had no collision, because it relies on traces to do the painting so you'll need to make sure the mesh has collision. Also in UE3 it wouldn't support painting textures on LOD's of the model.

Landscapes use their own paintbrush system which is limited to heightmaps and weightmaps (layer blending).
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that's my conclusion so far as well. And this Landscape painting features seem to be vertex color based, i.e. not texture based.
  • wes.sau
    The weightmaps (layer painting) heightmaps(sculpting) and slopemaps (normals) are all textures, but are created by the engine with a 1:1 texel to vertex ratio based on the chosen terrain component size. Lightmaps also initialize at the same size but has a scale multiplier for more or less lightmap resolution as needed.

More info here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/index.html

Also you can use texture channel masks within a landscape layer in the Landscape's Material network, or use the world normal, altitude, position, depth, etc for more advanced/custom blending without using the Landscape Layer Paint feature.
  • artrynk
    Offline / Send Message
    artrynk polycounter lvl 18
    Right now try paint texture mode in UE4,(Texture paint cast to texture2d sample , which uses like blendMask in  the material)
    - its work ~
    -its work time from time, looks like test feature(but in UDK it was no problem)
    still in reserch(very strange behavior- you can draw few strokes....and stopping....no matter what I do, switch channels, texture indexes, its no paint.... few minutes later, after I return to PC- begin paint again )