baking

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Wondering how you all do/would do it.
Here's the scenario
You've got a gun with multiple parts,
do you

A. Bake the combined hi poly on to the combined low poly?
b. Bake the combined Hi poly on to the separated Low Poly Pieces?
c. Bake the separate Hi Poly Pieces on to the separated Low poly pieces?

These are all assuming you're using cages for each piece of the low poly mesh individually.

I tend to go for Option C. But I would like to know if I've been doing it inefficiently for so long.

Edit: spelling, because i'm not a monster.

Replies

• sushi
    Yes, option C. A lot of time can be saved by doing an exploded bake.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYoXF6QmWw[/ame]
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I would also go C (explode bake).
    I also sometime break up one low poly object into several high poly objects (e.g. the ring on the barrel in the video; in low poly ring and barrel will be one object, in high poly two (not exploded then of course^^), if they are two different objects in real life.
    I think this creates more real world geometry as two attached objects have a sharp corner and not a "smoothed" one (which you would get if you use only one sub-D'ed Model).

Normaly I do the low poly first and UV Map it.
    Then create the "bake low poly" by exploding the model and delete all duplicated objects so I have no duplicated UVs.
    From this I create the high poly model, with this the high poly objects have the exact same position like the low poly ones.

Btw: does anyone has a good workflow for creating complex cages?
    I normally use "push" or "shell" (select outer face, delete the rest) in Max, but I got sometimes a few problems with xNormal.