Home General Discussion

Location Relevant for Hiring?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
atomander polycounter lvl 7
Question about hiring: How important is location on an application? I've always assumed that its not super relevant, but an opportunity has come up for me to live somewhat affordably in SF for about 3-6 months, and there are a lot of really cool studios there. My current work is all freelance from home (right now, in Oregon), but I would like to move to a studio eventually. Would it be worth living in a more expensive place for awhile to be physically closer to these studios?

Replies

• RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't jump off the cliff until you have a safe landing. The Bay Area is ridiculously expensive. I moved down here from Seattle and housing rates are anywhere from 30-40% higher than Seattle. The Bay Area is nice for gaming, but Seattle has a much denser population of game studios.

Personally, I wouldn't move for a 3-6 months of work but that decision ultimately rests on your situation.
  • slipsius
    It really friggin depends. I know in canada, some provinces have tax breaks for if you hire within the province, so unless you were a resident of the province at the start of the year, they won't hire you. Though, that might just be for a certain % of their employees.

Either way, it can make a HUGE difference, and it can make no difference at all. My last job, i was the second person to get hired. the first guy was local. I just lucked out they needed a second person as well. Also, the bigger companies are more likely to hire from afar. they have the resources for relocation and stuff. smaller companies dont always help with that and might just say ok, if you can get out here, we`ll hire you. if not, see ya.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    It really depends. You're at least west coast located so that is helpful compared to me, who's on the East Coast and has to prove that I'm worth it over the talent that's already out west (which thus far I really haven't). I don't know what the circumstances around your move are, but I'd consider it-and not just for work stuff. San Fran is really awesome so I'd take advantage of an opportunity to live there for 'cheap'. Just remember to focus on work and job hunting while your there.
  • Chiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Been wondering this myself, especially after visiting GDC and being in the San Fran area...I know you could at least network better, with lots more people in games there. Problem to moving to one particular area is you limit yourself to that one area unless you're willing to move again, in which case you might just want to stay where you are and work on your portfolio. Though there's also the issue of hiring local talent vs non local, and in my case being on the west coast in general might be better vs being in VA. Ultimately it's about hitting that bar with your portfolio, but when that bar is met and you're not having luck, then maybe moving if you can afford it, would be worth it. If you can afford it, being the key point, since cost of living is definitely expensive in California.
  • skankerzero
    Being closer to the studios means nothing really. It's not like you will be able to just drop by and say 'hi'. You have to be closer to community. Community will open doors for you. So the question is, 'Will 3-6 months be enough to develop a relationship with the community there?' 'Will it be worth the escalated cost of living?' 'Are the studios in that area even hiring?' If it's all 'yes', then go for it. Just be prepared to not get a job in those 3-6 months.
  • Leinad
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    For me personally, 3-6 months isn't enough to time to ensure a good experience. I think you'd have just as much success applying from Organ to studios in S.F. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to find work down here, I like your work, it's solid! Granted, if you have friends who are working in relevant studios in S.F., then it would be totally worth it to catch up and mingle with other developers.

Save that money for a potential flight, since most studios I've encountered are on a tight budget and aren't providing relocation expenses for interviews.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Based on my own observations while working in the industry, the more your skill level stands out from the crowd, the more likely studios will be to pay to relocate you.

I would not suggest moving to San Francisco without long term employment lined up. Cost of living there is insane.

That's another point to consider. When big companies have layoffs in studio-dense locations, that's a whole lot of competition in the market and not a fun situation to be in.
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. You've all given me a lot to consider. My girlfriend and I were feeling a little anxious about staying in a place where there are not much big studios; she recently was in a situation that sounded similar to yours, Slipsius, where she was one of the top two candidates being considered in a position far away, but ultimately was turned down in favor of the local candidate that could start the next week (at least what they told her!).

But it also sounds like the time might better be spent just continuing contract work and further working on my portfolio.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    You can never go wrong with expanded portfolio work. If it's good enough, your location won't matter at all. That goes hand in hand with Dustin's comments-delaying gratification and adding in a plan.