Home General Discussion

Online Applications & Connections

Hello again everyone,

Back in July, I started a thread about handling active discouragement from friends and family: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137362

I read some wonderful advice and have kept looking back at that thread consistently throughout my job search. Its been a wonderful source of inspiration and motivation despite ongoing opposition.

I wanted to get your feedback and experience on something else, however. I send out at least one online application every day, custom tailored to the company after extensive research on their products and brand identity; sadly, to no avail, despite several months of vigilant effort. I know this is a niched industry, but have you found that submitting an application online sort of loses itself in a vacuum?

I plan on attending an Illustration convention, IlluxCon, this coming week with the hopes of meeting fellow artists face-to-face and learning from their experience. Did you all find your job through a connection or were you selected from a online job pool of many applicants? What advice can you give other than meeting a lot of these people face to face?

My problem is by no means unique, and I understand that thousands upon thousands of employee-hopefuls face a similar struggle. I'm just curious as to how applications and connections have played into this industry and what those successful have chosen to do to realize their career goals.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read over this. Your advice and personal experiences really help elucidate this whole job search.

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I don't really know what it takes to be a concept artist but I really like your stuff. It took me about 50 applications to land this job. I pretty much applied to every studio I could find, regardless of whether or not they were actually advertising any positions. Just keep applying and don't stop making art in the meantime.

I didn't have any connections at the time, but it can't hurt I guess.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Connections do matter. Often you won't know the hiring decision maker, but if you know someone inside who can advocate for you, that usually counts for a lot. Recommendations from staff members carry a lot of weight.

Of course, your portfolio still has to win their hearts. But someone on the inside gives you an extra boost that the rest of the applicant pool doesn't get.

I've gotten my last couple jobs based on knowing someone inside. But I've also gotten significant jobs without knowing a single soul there.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    If it encourages you, I've gotten all of my jobs from cold calling, not a single one by referral. You just gotta keep pushing!

One question though - Do you follow up on those applications or just send them and forget? If you send a follow up a week or so later, politely asking if they had the chance to evaluate your application, if they have any kind of feedback etc. makes it much more likely to get a response from them. And it's always better to find out that the position was already filled than to be left hanging, right?
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    On a related note, a question that I have been wondering about for quite some time is (and it may very well be related to you as well OP) How important is direct location?

Is living in a different country really that much of a bigger deterrent than already being located in the same country, just not in the same geographical region? Or is it pretty much the same case?

For instance, I live in the United States but I live in Alabama. There aren't really any game art jobs around here.

I will be the first to admit I feel a little uncomfortable packing up my stuff and moving across the country without any leads on any kind of job to be more geographically located for hiring.

Maybe you're in the same boat DLDigital? Anybody have any thoughts?
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Disclaimer: I'm sick and for some reason it has decided to spread into an ear infection today. So Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm going to be brutally honest. I'm writing this because I like your work and I've been in the same position as you are right now.

I've been in the spot of applying everywhere, hearing nothing back. Going to 3d related job conventions and being turned down over and over. The truth is... I had to up my game. This industry has VERY FEW JOBS.

Looking at your work I can say for sure, the reason you aren't hearing back is because of your portfolio. I say this not to make you feel bad but to help you. If you want in you're going to have to work your ass off. The market for concept artist is sooo saturated right now. It's very difficult to get into that space. So you have to be one of the best. Someone who stands out from the crowd and does amazing work.

Here are a few things I noticed from viewing your portfolio.

- Your color theory is quite good.

- Your ideas are pretty cool.

Strengthen your core fundamentals!

- design
    - value(forms)
    - perspective
    - anatomy
    - build your visual library

Your art isn't bad, it's just that the professional level's bar has recently skyrocketed. You have a lot of potential so stick with it!

Just check out the student work from here: http://fzdschool.com/
    You are competing with that for a job. So get out there and level up! Then blow them out of the water with some sick work!! :)

I had to work my ass off for years after I graduated before I finally made it to an AAA studio. And I still have a ton to learn! If you don't give up, you will make it. It's that simple and yet incredibly hard.
  • DLDigital
    If it encourages you, I've gotten all of my jobs from cold calling, not a single one by referral. You just gotta keep pushing!

One question though - Do you follow up on those applications or just send them and forget? If you send a follow up a week or so later, politely asking if they had the chance to evaluate your application, if they have any kind of feedback etc. makes it much more likely to get a response from them. And it's always better to find out that the position was already filled than to be left hanging, right?

Yup! I've got a daily schedule. I keep a written record of who I apply to every day and what I like about their company. After 5-7 days, depending on whether I sent it on a weekend, I'll follow-up to a company in addition to applying to a new one. I've gotten a response around 1 for every 10 that I send out! Though it's usually in the negative. :/
    Tobbo wrote: »
    On a related note, a question that I have been wondering about for quite some time is (and it may very well be related to you as well OP) How important is direct location?

Is living in a different country really that much of a bigger deterrent than already being located in the same country, just not in the same geographical region? Or is it pretty much the same case?

For instance, I live in the United States but I live in Alabama. There aren't really any game art jobs around here.

I will be the first to admit I feel a little uncomfortable packing up my stuff and moving across the country without any leads on any kind of job to be more geographically located for hiring.

I'm totally okay with up and leaving Virginia! I'd be completely comfortable moving to another state, I'm at a time in my life where I can do that. I could move out to Germany or Japan too, should the opportunity arise, and utilize some of my language fluency~

Also, @artquest, I sincerely appreciate your frankness. Believe it or not, I've been watching Feng for years! Ever since episode 12 or so, he's been a genuine hero of mine. I wouldn't nearly be capable of what I am now if not for him. (That being said, I'm a huge Sins fan and love your work too!) My portfolio does need work, indeed. I come back to it at every opportunity I have - working on the things you've suggested.

I'm at a point where money is of the essence. I've saved up a lot from working at school, but it's a finite sum. My portfolio will need to take a backseat to part-time work, since freelance has yielded little (Not for lack of effort, of course :/). I will continue to constantly push myself and aim for nothing short of the very best of which I am capable. I won't give up, I promise.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    your folio should definitely get your work in a non AAA place. And since on your first job you usually learn the most, you could then plan your move on to a better/bigger place. But non AAA doesn't necessarily mean bad or not rewarding. Just think how Telltale started a few years ago, and now they're a place with kickass games and art.

So I'd start looking for jobs right away, without limiting yourself. But yes, work your ass off - competition is strong in concept art ;)
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to moving across country or to a different country either.

But what I was really getting at was packing up and just moving without having any kind of job to go to in the hopes to land a job in the near future? To me that seems reckless and doesn't seem logical. You still have to feed yourself, pay bills, etc. And there's not even a guarantee you'll be able to find a temporary job to support yourself while you wait.

The reason I bring this up is that I heard that location does play a part in the hiring decision. More specifically whether they have to relocate you or not and from how far away.

Am I incorrect in thinking this?
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to moving across country or to a different country either.

But what I was really getting at was packing up and just moving without having any kind of job to go to in the hopes to land a job in the near future? To me that seems reckless and doesn't seem logical. You still have to feed yourself, pay bills, etc. And there's not even a guarantee you'll be able to find a temporary job to support yourself while you wait.

The reason I bring this up is that I heard that location does play a part in the hiring decision. More specifically whether they have to relocate you or not and from how far away.

Location for sure plays a part in the hiring process, but if they really want YOU then then that is the key. AAA studios are more willing to offer you relocation assistance if they really want to hire you I think. But the smaller studios usually wont offer relocation assistance or they'll probably try to find someone local to fill the role first.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6

Well... if you live in the US, you shouldn't really worry about relocating to a different country.
    As I see it, the industry is way bigger in the US. Once you get some studio experience, then getting a work visa overseas shouldn't be problematic.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    All of my initial networking was through Polycount, then people I worked with provided connections at other studios. It wasn't even really networking per se, I was just being active on the forum posting WIPs and acting on feedback.

When I was right out of college I applied everywhere without reply. It was only after I put my nose to the grindstone and built a portfolio of brand new art did I hear back from anyone.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Portfolio matters most in my opinion and it's also what gets you into the top applicants that the art-team has a look at. People won't recommend you if you're not good enough, sadly. You need to be at least as good as everybody else applying or better.

After that it's personality, if you have the personality that fits the team then the lack of skill might not matter as much.

Networking is also very good, it's the type of thing you want to be doing always, so that people know who you are and that they like you. It could go the other way as well, if you do something that's bad for reputation, it'll spread quickly. It's a tiny world.