Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #15 - May

Replies

• hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Update on the Sculpt, Low poly is done and baking should happen later today. Still messing around with the Chainsaw for now.

zFomSNx.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think one item, no limit to character and a strong theme would be awesome.

Arabian would be cool. No limit on hero would really open it up for creativity, but it would also be great for the workshop. Instead of 5 of us competing for that Wraith King Head piece.

Also a great way for Valve to make some new item crates.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    yeah no limit on hero is better ur right baddcog. but i would also allow sets :)
    i am right at the moment working on such an arabic set theme :)
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, I was really digging everything about the set until I started lookin' at the drill arm. The metal patches are feeling sort of weak right now. Generally on Borderlands (I know this is for Dota but these keenfolk characters sort of obey the borderlands style when it comes to modeling) we would try to make the patches feel more functional, larger and with a sense of purpose. Those right now are kinda just put on there without a reason for their being there. I like the drill a lot, and think it will work just fine, I'd just like to see something more constructed.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    ^^ I agree with this, I think what adds to the problem is that you have them wrapping around the edges, which kind of makes them look like cloth rather than metal imo. I think aligning them with the edges would improve it drastically.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, good crits. I can go back and re-work them today.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Shock wrote: »
    yeah no limit on hero is better ur right baddcog. but i would also allow sets :)
    i am right at the moment working on such an arabic set theme :)

I think the concern with item and or sets would be that sets would get more votes based soley on 'set'. Which is understandable.

set = more work = more impressive.

What if sets were encouraged, but only one item for voting? Thus making it more fair to those who can only manage to squeak out a single (this would help not discourage people from doing only a single for fear of losing to someone with more time)

Of course that makes 'set encouragement' seem a bit null, but a set is still more likely to do better on workshop. Still, if making a 3 piece set then you could put the most popular piece up for voting, so it would still give you a better chance to win.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Diffuse, went back and reworked the arms/wrists area so will i've left their diffuse for last. I forgot to include the Chainsaw in this shot.

Pf6SL8Q.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @hopgood, the paint seems a little too saturated. As for the new robo hands, why not make it an exhaust grate? Maybe similar to the ones next the giant chest plate.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    @hopgood: I like the design, but sure the portrait picture won't just show the front plate?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my concept (base 3d model rendered in marmoset and then overpainted):
    screenshot002.jpg

more to come :)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

screenshot002.jpg

Wow that's one hell of a concept, I love it!

If you are able to work all thos details in without making it too noisy I think it will be one of the best Timbersaw sets!
  • Gumbata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gumbata polycounter lvl 7
    screenshot002.jpg

Love the right arm! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • Pastat7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the whole thing ! Well done
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    screenshot002.jpg

Awesome! Very Warhammer inspired I take it? Can't wait to see that baby finished.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hopgood, the paint seems a little too saturated. As for the new robo hands, why not make it an exhaust grate? Maybe similar to the ones next the giant chest plate.

That's fair, the base colours I threw done last night were pretty saturated. I've adjusted them now. Thanks for the feedback. They are kind of angular vents. I wanted to avoid using the circular exhaust vents "too" often on the model.
    @hopgood: I like the design, but sure the portrait picture won't just show the front plate?

You're concept is super impressive. Anxious to see if you can get it done in such a short amount of time left.

The portrait angle is slightly raised so you don't see the front guard, just a small glimpse of it in the corner. I double checked before moving on with the model just in case.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Diffuse with the suggestions from this page taken into account. Still experimenting with some colours on different areas, mainly the Tanks on the back and the claw hand. Should be able to finish the Diffuse and Masks today and some promotional images/today tomorrow.

XqS3fyN.jpg

To prevent spamming this with my work in progress here are some shaders in progrss of the Torso/Shoulders and a shot of the Portrait view.

Qy7WLlP.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback and likes :)
    I just modeled him without references. Just trying to build a robot like timber would in his small workshop. After that I was looking at some warhammer and general orc artwork and went for the colors and details you saw in the overpaint/concept.

@hopgood: Cool progess!The metal could need some mask work, looks quite oldschool right now.

myprogress (base model, sculpt, lowpoly):
    timberprogress.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody knows how to get the saw particles working in DOTA? They disappear when I import my model...
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nearly finished my marmoset presentation,
    still need to make the ingame presetation..

Tunaround (higher will be uploaded to youtube):
    timber_turn.gif

Icons:
    timbercon_armor.jpgtimbercon_body.jpg
    timbercon_claw.jpgtimbercon_head.jpg
    timbercon_saw.jpgtimbercon_shoulders.jpg

Can sombody else post progress please? Don't want to spam this page too much ;)
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    What the shit son, that was fast! That's awesome, lol!
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The model was already done when I posted the concept. I couldn't access it so I posted it today.
    The turnaround and icons are just a few seconds old ;)
    Now it's time for ingame and a backstory :/
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Please do finish it in time! It has a really awesome 40k orkz vibe that I love!
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Man, if you had gone from concept to final product in the exact same time frame as your posts that would have been insanely fast. The set's looking awesome, looking forward to seeing it in-game.

Also, don't worry too much about the backstory. It's purely for the workshop voters, and from my experience has a negligible effect on voting most times.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Really outstanding work!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    awesome set! pls add this in worksop. I can not wait for that moment when I can add your sredder in favorite
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Highpoly, sculpt and lowpoly took ~3 days.
    After that the concept and integration of the concept took additional 2-3 days.
    Today is polishing and creating marketing material.

Just uploaded the youtube video:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mEDuXnTO10"]DOTA2 - Set - Timbersaw - Treepunisher 2000 - YouTube[/ame]
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    The Forest Guardian by danpaz3d

tumblr_n6g6drg1FR1rwocuuo1_250.png

And some others...

tumblr_n6h7uc6tSd1rwocuuo2_1280.png

tumblr_n6h7uc6tSd1rwocuuo3_1280.png
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timbersaw - Treepunisher 2000 by katzeimsack

Small icons to stay official:
    200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

Now with links to the workshop files!

timber_turn.gif
    timbercon_armor.jpgtimbercon_body.jpg
    timbercon_claw.jpgtimbercon_head.jpg
    timbercon_saw.jpgtimbercon_shoulders.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Totally increase the kerning a little more on your text next time.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah that timber looks SICK!! Great job Katzeimsack!
  • Vovosunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @katzeimsack: Wow, nice job! :D
    Saw you uploading it just as I was uploading my QoP set. I also saw hopgoods submitting his set too XD

Could you tell me how did you add images to your description in the Workshop?
    I've tried HTML and bbcode but it doesn't seem to work :(
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    @katzeimsack: It's SO cool!! Awesome work :D
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Augury's Defender by Scuba Cat!

sjYkoVI.jpg

Damn, I long for the day of an streamlined uploading process. Would be great to either batch upload or attach images from the workshop to prevent uploading the same ones 5-6 times.

Anyways, here are a few other shots of the set. Good luck to everyone who entered this month. Looking forward to next month!

1pWAme1.jpg
    LLneFeS.jpg
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    "Damn, I long for the day of an streamlined uploading process."

yeh i second that ! It needs some work to be a bit more efficient.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    nice presentation katzeimsack
    is that smoke just some noisy geo + a smokey shader with some dithered transparency?
    love the background depth as well!
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    hopgood wrote: »
    Damn, I long for the day of an streamlined uploading process. Would be great to either batch upload or attach images from the workshop to prevent uploading the same ones 5-6 times.

Are you referring to uploading of promo images?

If so, you can batch upload from a browser other than the Steam browser. For e.g. I can batch upload via Chrome. What I do is upload the item, exit Dota 2 and complete the uploads in Chrome. It's just a shift click process from there, and you can complete each item's promo upload in 1 upload dialogue.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Are you referring to uploading of promo images?

If so, you can batch upload from a browser other than the Steam browser. For e.g. I can batch upload via Chrome. What I do is upload the item, exit Dota 2 and complete the uploads in Chrome. It's just a shift click process from there, and you can complete each item's promo upload in 1 upload dialogue.

Yeah, that's not too bad. I just find the in game browser really clunky beyond the actual uploading the item itself. Having to tab out to complete everything in Chrome works, but I should be able to do most of it in game.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work everyone! it is great to see some great progress when we get near the deadline. Deadlines working as productivity boosts as usual =]

About the idea for the next month, im a little unsure about opening for all the heroes and keeping one theme.

But this competitions is in good part community driven, so if you guys really want that we can try for one month

Anyone else would like to continue this talk about the next month contest?
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Go for something along: 1xhero with zero sets, 1xhero with 1 set and 1xhero with 2 sets in the store.

Just a brainstorm idea.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta wrote: »
    nice presentation katzeimsack
    is that smoke just some noisy geo + a smokey shader with some dithered transparency?
    love the background depth as well!
    Thanks!
    Smoke was dynameshed out of a few spheres. Cloud texture + displacement in marmoset :)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    We could go 'back' to single items, since we now have a new chest model for them. Also make them themed like Valve is doing, like light/dark chests, ice/fire, swords/bows, helms/hairs, etc
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with belkun, themed single items would be fun!
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    The Forest Guardian by danpaz3d

tumblr_n6h7uc6tSd1rwocuuo2_1280.png

loooks coool) u dont think aboute using three "initnial" color styles? RGB
    red, green, and mythic blue color?

aboute bird)^ I think better to use a different color to the bird is not merged with foliage. but this is purely my opinion.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    We could go 'back' to single items, since we now have a new chest model for them. Also make them themed like Valve is doing, like light/dark chests, ice/fire, swords/bows, helms/hairs, etc

i think this idea could fit nicely with those request about increasing the heropool

And i also think that getting back to single item could be nice now that people are not worried with them being a waste of time

we did a dire/radiant months on the past, we could go for something similar this one

I personally like ice/fire and helms/hair

any more suggestions?
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @down_limit Thanks for the crit man, yeah, I did think about making the colors right. I wanted to take a bit of a risk with it though, matching the leaves of the radiant ancient I guess. Thanks again.

http://youtu.be/7QTPzT-cg1E?t=51s
  • Gumbata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gumbata polycounter lvl 7
    Originally Posted by belkun View Post

I like that idea and also restrict it to heroes that dont have or have only a few sets, they need love too. I was thinking about the pandas: Ember Spirit, Earth Spirit, Storm Spirit, Brewmaster.

Also if people find it time-consuming to make a whole set, why not work together?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gumbata wrote: »
    I like that idea and also restrict it to heroes that dont have or have only a few sets, they need love too. I was thinking about the pandas: Ember Spirit, Earth Spirit, Storm Spirit, Brewmaster.

Also if people find it time-consuming to make a whole set, why not work together?

i really like this idea =]

guys, we are getting out of time, any one else support the ideas already mentioned?
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this elemental rejects idea. Would be great to see some sets for those heroes that has not been getting any love from volvo.