Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[3D WIP] Mauser kar98k

So, ummm... hi guise! This is my first thread on polycount forum, although I've been lurking for quite some time now. I am currently working on german Mauser kar98k rifle, as a part of myself getting used to new Blender interface. I recently have started texturing rifle, although I feel like I fail at it, so any tips are very appriciated, as well as c&c ;)

2hqs8hw.jpg2hqs8hw.jpg
2hqs8hw.jpg

Replies

• pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    What is that brown sleeve looking thing in the middle?
  • DarthBartus
    Oh, I realised that some sniper rifles have cloth wrapped around them, to give the marksman better grip, I think. Dunno why, during render my cloth texture changed its colors and became much darker than it should be. And I think I will make it a bit longer :D
  • bbob
    Why is there two holes into the wood, revealing bits of metal underneath? Usually, its one bit of metal, wedged into the wood on the left side, running the full length between the two fastening rings. Dont ask me what its for though.

Besides, you are missing the whole front section where the sight sits, that and the bit on the front looks wrong, where i put the arrow. Good ref here.

102t5qc.jpg

The stock, especially the grip, could use some loving as well.
  • DarthBartus
    Thanks for the ref! ^^ About sight, it is modeled, but it's covered by that cloth ;)
  • bbob
    well, I see you have continued the wood beyond it then, which is just as inaccurate.
  • DarthBartus
  • bbob
    I would recommend you to load in a side photo of a K98 and adjust your model accordingly, you still have a bunch of little proportion issues that screws it up quite a bit. Also, please lose the cloth thing, or at least re-do it with folds and a proper texture, right now it looks like a burrito that has gone moldy.

Pay attention to the little bits, such as the front sight, how the metal bit between the rings goes into the wood, and is actually held in place by the rings that go over it. How the safety doo-dad that holds the pin is proportioned, youve got a cylinder sticking out an inch too far, also the shape of the bolt itself is off, it actually has two boxy things on either side, that grabs the bullet by the ridges on the bottom of the casing as it is cycled into the breech.

So gather references, and pay attention to the little things. This is not done by a long shot.

Sorry if I am a bit harsh, but you posted it up for critique, and its evident that you know how to model stuff, it just seems you are a bit careless with accuracy.
  • kjell
    some stuff just don't fit mate, as I have experience with guns, let me help you some out.
    tons of reference can be found at www.gunpics.net, go take a look, the mauser has a pretty big section there, take a look at the mauser bbob gav you and use it for your good, some proportions are off and I feel like your grip isn't round enouh, give use some perspective views please so we can judge better! also don't apply textures when stil modelling, giv eit some better lightning setup etc. so we can judge better, and please take that cloth away as it hides 1/5th of ur gun, which can't be the case.

good luck!
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    More images of the rifle can be found here, though mostly for the close up details. Hope it helps.

http://www.pixagogo.com/7794014131
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    if you're thinking of ww2 snipers covering their rifles with cloth it was for camo not grip, and they'd cover almost the whole barrel with it.
    http://www.gdrecon.co.uk/images/general/sniper%20&%20spotter.jpg
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    As what everybody else suggested, take off the cloth that wrap around your barrel. You said that you have the rear sight modeled but covered out buy the cloth right?..I guess you better show the metal rear sight instead of the cloth (since the rear sight is more complicated in shape and you manage to get that BUT covered with a not very good cloth, kinda wasted your time in modeling that)

The circle thing at the stock (near the straps handle at the back) is suppose to be more closer to the straps and its not just flat piece.

Scope mount, I never saw one with only one leg that connected to the receiver. But if you have any reference for that, its Ok tough.

Looks like your barrel is too long at the moment. As what bbob suggested, put a reference photo on your viewport to eliminate some unnecessary size mistaken by only using eye judgment.

_Revel
  • bbob
    aniceto wrote: »
    sniper%20&%20spotter.jpg

Interesting, germans using a mosin nagant?
  • aniceto
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I like how you even noticed
  • bbob
    What can I say, I've put a lot of time aside to learning shit about wwii.. lol
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    bbob wrote: »
    well, I see you have continued the wood beyond it then, which is just as inaccurate.

Accurate for a Czech v24, which probably got mixed in with his refs...
  • DarthBartus
    Kay, time for little update. I redone the sight and scope mount, and taken off that cloth.

9gh74k.jpg
  • n88tr
    Looks a lot cleaner and better. Sans cloth ftw.
  • bbob
    Now this is a lot better, the grip bit of the stock is spot-on now.

There is still some work to be done on the mechanism itself, but you're getting there, just remember to scrutinize your references.
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Did you change the latest pic?..I saw the 3/4 view before..Agreed that you model looks better without the cloth.
    Two things that I still can comment though; front sight and the bolt handle looks not accurate (visible from the 3/4 view). The other looks neat though. Keep up the good progress!

_Revel
  • DarthBartus
    Yeah, I actually did show the 3/4 pic, but I failed to ADD not CHANGE the image xD

http://i44.tinypic.com/ta1s95.jpg

I still gotta change that metal-ring-thingie on the fron of the rifle, as well as the bolt (I noticed some inaccuraties on mine when I looked on the images you all sent me (which I am thankful for ;))
  • DarthBartus
    Well, seems like I can do better after all ^^

2ij4zmp.jpg
  • bbob
    Improvement, but the barrel end needs to be thicker, and the indent on the stock that makes room for the bolt needs to have rounder edges.

You're getting there, but you still need to be more meticulous with your reference.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    The ref picture posted in the thread is a Russian capture K98. When the Russians captured them and re-arsenaled them (mixing up all the parts in the process, taking tiny hammers to all the swastikas etc) they also painted all the metal black. The original issue K98s had the metal "in the white", which is to say unpainted. So you were right earlier on. Don't make the metal black unless it's meant to be a latter day RC K98k with a repro scope. Sniper K98s are rare beasts. Spend a little more time (and say ref searches on gunbroker and archival/collector sites like Simpsons Ltd) and you'll nail it.

Finger cut out (the recess on the stock underneath the bolt handle) is too square. Round the corners.

2psn9ko.jpg
    Still need more work in realizing the forward barrel band retainer bar (the horizontal bit in this shot). You pretty the raised area to get the band (the H-shaped bit) off, that's what the little circular indent is. The horizontal metal piece is a thin piece of metal that keeps the barrel band (which in turn holds the barrel to the stock) in place via spring tension.

Just study all the pics from the pixagogo account, but keep in mind that it's a Russian captured K98. The metal should be unpainted and bright.

edit: here's a useful site that has some pics of someone disassembling the rifle. Not that you need that kind of mechanical accuracy in building the rifle, but it helps to visualize what goes where and how things are really shaped.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Good to see you progressing with this rifle, aside from what others said about things that you can improve, I noticed that your thing under the barrel to "slot in" the bayonet is not accurate. You see the indented part suppose to be all the way to the end, so that the end of the bayonet handle can fit in nicely, but yours one currently..well, stop before it reach the end.

You should find this at the end of the bayonet knife handle to give you a better idea of how it works and attached to the rifle.

_Revel