Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FN FAL G1

Hey guys,

decided next to mod leading I wanted to have a go at a gun again after several months of modelling, I've waited a while to post progress on the gun but I'll post some progress screens now, comments most welcome!

first wip:
firstwip.jpg

solve the seem u see on that barrel and gave it a thickness.

second screen:
firstwip2.jpg

worked further tried to tackle one of the more harder parts, decided to redo the aimport after this as it's modelled really poorly.

third screen:
firstwip3.jpg

worked further on this barrel, ass it consists of 2 identical parts, it wasn't that hard to create, just looking closely to the reference did the trick basically.

fourth screen:
firstwip4.jpg

In this screen I allready reworked the whole aimpoint area, but didn't bother taking another screen of it, kept working forward (or actually backwards;)) towards the trigger area.

last screen:
wip2i.jpg

wip1am.jpg

took some better screens as the eye wants some as well;)
basically this is where I'm at at this moment still a lot of work to do, I'm really taking this one slowly but I'm trying to be really accurate and aiming at the best gun I've made thus far.

also, here are some wires:
wires2c.jpg

wires1.jpg

sorry for any spelling mistakes, but had to type this rather quickly, so really didn't have any time to do a spellcheck;)

Replies

• ICESPADE
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
    Good start. Very Clean
    keep it up
  • Amarth93
    there is alot of polys/tris that could be deleted as they are excessive... but you might just have had them there to be able to use the smoothing you use at the render
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    ICESPADE wrote: »
    Good start. Very Clean
    keep it up

Agreed, Keep the updates coming, would like to see the finished result.
  • kjell
    hey guys, thanks for the comments, I know there is an excessive poly/tris count but I use normal turbosmooth, not smooth b smooth groups or anything so all poly's/tris have a purpose, however in the low poly most of them will be deleted, don't worry! I'll try and keep you guys updated!
  • kjell
    sorry for the lack of updates, I've been EXTREMELY busy with tons of stuff, bought an appartment had our project announced,... anyways I messed around with a render scene to get some better screens, also worked some on the back, but nothing mentionworthy.
    anyways, here you go!

wip1.jpg

wip2.jpg

wip3.jpg

wip4.jpg
  • kjell
    edit: seen several stuff I need to tackle to fit, as I messed with some scaling stuff, will do that asap, crits more that welcome!

next to tackle: the trigger area needs to be attached properly, need to add trigger, add details to the main body and just finish the gun overall

note: notice the bend metal as the bottom of the ammo clip^^ love them details that noone notices:>
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty good so far--the main trouble I see is related to the buttstock and pistol grip (but look very lumpy), as well as issues inherited from no quite capturing the width of the receiver properly.
    The magazine (a clip is a bent piece of metal holding rounds together, like for the Garand) is far too skinny. .308 is a big slug, and a FAL mag holds 20 in a double stack. Can't give more detailed crits that that I'm afraid while though I admire the FAL I'm not intimately familiar with it.