Home Unreal Engine

Hair, anyone?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Revel interpolator
Hi guys, this is my first time trying to import a character to UDK and I'm a bit lost with the hair currently. I found an article about creating the nodes, but just lost on how the actual material setting.

Here is what I got so far;

23xZbXf.jpg

So as you can see the hair alpha works just fine but there is a weird pixelated effect near the middle (highlight of the hair) area. Is actually happen when I turn on the "Use Lit Translucency Depth Pass". If i didn't turn it on then the whole hair will be semi-transparent. Anything wrong with my material setting, any combination that I should or shouldn't do?

Can anyone help me on this?
I know its not a new topic, but so far I didn't found any solution yet.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Maybe it's a sorting problem ?
    Is that a skeletal mesh ? If yes you can try different sorting orders : http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TranslucentHairSorting.html
  • Shock-Socks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump

I am also running into this problem. I don't think the transparency sorting that Froyok posted is the solution though. Has anyone found a solution to this?
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 99% certain it's a sorting issue, I ran into the same problem with a project of mine as well, and the best solution is to manually set the sort order within the skeletal mesh options.

There may be a way to magick your sort order inside your 3D package, but I don't think I turned up anything useful when I did my research yonks ago. From what I understand, in 3DS Max sort order is largely dictated by an invisible hierarchy of when objects are attached to one another.

The only other option that I know of to remove sorting issues entirely is to use 1-bit alpha rendering solutions such as dithered transparency or a really high-res mask.
  • Shock-Socks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, that's pretty much the barrier that I've hit. Solved the initial problem that this post was about, but am running into a wall with transparency sorting. the UDK tools to fix said problem are really cumbersome and I can't find any information on exporting/importing sorting order from a different software package (maya)