Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: uohm

greetings!

I decided to try to do a speedpaint a day and to motivate me to accomplish this, I'm going to post the results here.

Crits are welcome.

uohm

speedpaint-1.jpg

Replies

• uohm
  • Daven
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    These are turning out really great so far. Any technique's you could share on your process?
  • uohm
    Thanks suburbbum, glad you enjoy them.

The technique is simple- just paint what you see as fast as you can!
    I start in Photoshop by blocking out everything with a hard round brush set to 100% opacity, then start making layers to refine everything. I use a couple of custom brushes, but mostly stick to hard and soft round brushes, varying the opacity and sampling the colors directly from the sample image. I flip the canvas horizontally a few times during the painting to check how accurate my rendering is.

If you have any questions about how I did a specific painting, let me know.

and here are some more paintings.

uohm

speedpaint-5.jpg

speedpaint-6.jpg
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    excellent work, man. great accuracy in recreating the lighting and contrast.
  • bounchfx
    looking really good! but I'd love to see what you come up with minus the color sampling

8)
  • uohm
    Thanks for looking guys!

here's today's - a screen capture from Bioshock 2speedpaint-7.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 7
    Wow. This is great stuff, man. D:
    Daaaang. :D
    Don't know what else to say. This is crazy cool.
  • uohm
    Thanks GameDevGoro- glad you like it!

got lazy this holiday weekend.speedpaint-8.jpg

and here's something I did over the last two days- just screwing around and trying out a brush Wizo showed in his sketchbook. It's an amazing brush!

deatheater.jpg
  • wake
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    Some nice work on these speed-paints, but listen to bounchfx-- cut out the color sampling. You're showing that you've got some grasp form and shape but that's only half the battle; being able to *know* color that you see and work with it is an extremely important skill, and it's one that you're hamstringing so long as you color sample. It's a very hard habit to break, but color sampling is the devil.

but good work, keep posting your stuff
  • uohm
    Here’s what I did yesterday- took too damn long, I got reeeeaallllly bored with it and yeah, I sampled colors.

speedpaint-9.jpg

Bounchfx and Wake: I hear what your saying.

The method I use is the way my instructors taught me to do speedpaintings for in class assignments here at The Guildhall and at first, I felt that sampling colors was a cheat. Then I figured something out: even with sampling trying to finish a painting in 30 minutes is really hard!

The idea of speedpainting is to accurately render an image as quickly as possible. Using guides and sampling speeds the painting process up, allows you to focus on form and textures, and guarantees that the colors are spot on. Sampling colors doesn’t always mean your colors are exact- more often than not you get the pixel next to the one you are trying to grab.

And before anyone says that my instructors don’t know what they are talking about, let me say that I respect them and the curriculum works- I have learned more and progressed more in just 10 months than the previous10 years.

But enough of this art manifesto. I’ll start moving away from sampling colors with the painting I do later today.

Cheers, and thanks for your input.

uohm.
  • uohm
    Here's today's: minimal color sampling, still took tooo looong.speedpaint-10.jpg
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Speed painting is such a horrible buzzword thats been floating around for years and people end up interpreting it in different ways. I see it as saying a lot with as little as possible and using minimal accurate brushstrokes in order to convey the details.

I dont really like the idea of doing a lot of sampling from photos, im all for studying various aspects but you should still try and learn all that you can. You really wont grasp colour relationships until you actually start picking the colours for yourself > youll be sat there trying to work out what a colour is and realise something you thought was a blue is a grey red... etc etc.

Something that bothers me with these pictures is that while theyre nice they lack some nice vibrancy, perhaps its the source, however - http://algenpfleger.blogspot.com/ - gets amazing strong contrasts/colours in his studies. Eitherway when you feel like you fancy a change of pace you could consider doing some master studies and looking at the way they handle colours and all that good jazz!

ill leave this link here, as hes also a fucking baller;

http://jamajurabaev.deviantart.com/art/Lasso-3-161038991?q=gallery%3Ajamajurabaev%2F10463178&qo=41
  • uohm
    Jackwhat: Thanks for the advice- master studies is a good idea and something I'll be looking into.
    And thanks for the kick ass links!

Actually, I spent a long time painting with traditional media before turning to digital art, so I feel that I already have a fair grasp of color theory and identification, but I'm trying not to sample colors with my speed paints- I say try because I find myself doing it and not realizing it until after I've laid the color down. Habits!

I did two today- screen caps from Portal and Portal 2 with almost no sampling

speedpaint-11.jpgspeedpaint-12.jpg
  • uohm
  • uohm
  • uohm
    Trying to select more dramatic images to study- I want to focus more on dramatic lighting and color. So I started looking at classic landscape paintings (thanks for the tip, Jackwhat)

Today I ripped off “Cliffs of the Upper Colorado River” by Thomas Moran

speedpaint-16.jpg
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really enjoying these, could you post in between progress pic for the next one you do? Interested to see your progression
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Without wanting to sound like a fucking nag, it's generally recommended that if youre going to do a master study to really take your time or only study a smaller segment and really try to understand the colour choices, brush strokes and that kinda stuff.

You may find it boring, but i find spending less than 3 hours on a master study to not even come close to nailing some of the forms and details, and even then people like Jaime Jones ( http://www.artpad.org/ ) recommend taking around 8 hours or so to really get it all down.

Good stuff with your photostudies, something thats interesting to try is pushing colours and make them more saturated, even if its just for glazing/glow purposes its just fun to see how it makes things pop.
  • uohm
    Spent too long on this one and didn't turn out that well- made some new brushes while working on it, though.

jocose: I saved out some progress shots as an animated .gif- Enjoy!

Jackwhat: I wish I had that much time to spare! Thanks again for another great link.

speedpaint-17.jpg

speedpaint-17-process.gif
  • uohm
  • uohm
  • uohm
  • uohm
  • uohm
    wow. I am getting lazy. I either need to speed these up or sleep less.

speedpaint-22.jpg

speedpaint-23.jpg

speedpaint-24.jpg

while I was painting this last one, the CBS National Evening news was interviewing the head of our program and a student in the same room. Neat!

speedpaint-25.jpg
  • mishin
    I'm enjoying these speed paints. Whats your process like? What do you think of first?
  • uohm
    mishin: Thanks! glad you like em.

My process starts with just trying to figure out what I feel like painting. If I'm not careful I can spend more time looking at references than painting:poly142:

After that I double the canvas size of the original image, keeping the image on the left hand side, and start laying down masses of color on the right. I work on the values at the same time and lately I've been zooming out more to help get the massing and shapes right. I start with the background and keep things rough.

then I start refining the shapes and forms as I move into the foreground. I make a lot of layers so I can refine individual elements from the photo. the foreground and middleground are usually spread out over several layers and if I need to go back and adjust the background I do. I also try to flip the canvas horizontally a few times.

My process is still evolving and changing. The key is just practice practice practice.

here's some more crap I did recently.

speedpaint-26.jpg

speedpaint-27.jpg

speedpaint-28.jpg
  • uohm
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. These are quire good for the amount of time spent.
  • uohm
  • uohm
    Geez- it's been a while.
    wish I had more time for painting these days, but class has been kicking my ass.

Haven't had the time to do a lot, but I have done some.

speedpaint-33.jpg

speedpaint-34.jpg

speedpaint-35.jpg

speedpaint-36.jpg
    speedpaint-37.jpg

speedpaint-38.jpg
  • Zeldrak
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak polycounter lvl 8
    that last picture looks awesome, and your times are getting faster. Keep up the good work dude :D