Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I am completely ok with an extension
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Yes to the extension ! (we need it badly hahaha)
  • ShorkGamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    I dont have this issue luckly - but sadly I dont have time to be a part of this event. :(
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I'm OK with the extension, still trying the hit the 15th myself though, gotta wrap this up...
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    extension is fine by me too!
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    An extension sounds like music for me :)
  • Dilanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Extending it to May 1st would really help!
  • SeeingTriangles
    although I don't have any problem with the workshop, an extension would be nice :) The rigging for Kei's Storm Spirit set has been driving me crazy.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    will speak with r13 about it and keep u updated.
  • Paproch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup an extension would be nice :)
  • SLIMEface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
    Nannou and me joining late with a Puck set. Going to be tight to hit the deadline!

pdsCjOf.jpg

OhdGGEh.jpg
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Extension, extension, extension! I'm slumped with annoying tests and catching up with work that's behind too.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    SLIMEface wrote: »
    Nannou and me joining late with a Puck set. Going to be tight to hit the deadline!

pdsCjOf.jpg

OhdGGEh.jpg

You guys cray.

Looks great though! Wouldn't change anything.
  • wolfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wolfart polycounter lvl 6
    SLIMEface, it's really cute :)
  • SeeingTriangles
    Whipping up some simple colors to test in-game to make sure that the texture is sharp enough. I had to include many things into the armor slot so I wasn't sure if the texture would be sharp enough or not. Although some parts aren't as sharp as I wanted, it's not much of a problem (I think).

His spec looks really weird so I don't give him any spec. The spec looks really pixelated, it's like the resolution for the mask maps are really low. I'm still chipping away at the rigging, still have a lot of clipping to fix. I swear I will never ever do another storm set again after this one :poly122:

b94b4298f9.jpg
  • Sylei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks everyone !
    katzeimsack, your Techies is looking amazing

Unlit diffuse from marmoset, and in game screenshots with masks
    RhoAZfg.jpg
    xZ807u1.jpg
    ywLbYeF.gif
    And Deadman made a quick preview video
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzFBFRiLJhw[/ame]
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really looking good Sylei, I feel you could push the metalness more though.
    The glow on the staff is really weak too imo. (probably needs brighter colors (as the ingame illum is very weak)

The book is great, in your wips I thought it was just going to be a belt slot, this is very cool.

Ah, Valve and quick rigging :D
    goblin_ouch_lod1.jpg
    So should I rig my model to follow the distorted horrible rigging Valve has set forth on the low poly (notice beard is stretching back through face and neck/collar is stretched up high (worse in back).

Or should I keep it rigged 'properly' in case they ever fix it?

Or should I properly weight it and submit a fix? lolz

=============
    Also starting to work on names for items.
    Does Valve tend to stick with submitted names or do they usually rename like they do in TF2?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Also starting to work on names for items.
    Does Valve tend to stick with submitted names or do they usually rename like they do in TF2?

Depending on the name and the item they may keep it or they might rename it. All the items in the Gyro set I worked on kept their names, and they named the set based of the item names. For the rig I would say if you can fix the weighting on it, then I would do that and submit it.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Damn Sylei... looking fantastic!
    That whole set is just perfect for him. :)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    ok guys, UPDATE:

after a little talk with r13 we decided to give the extension for submitting until the 30.april. to make sure this does not result in a harm for people who did match the original deadline, everyone can use those additional 2 weeks to polish up things (or not).

BUT since we want to protect from abuse we also decided to not accept new projects to the event that have not been already registered and posted wips until today.

hope u are all fine with it

greez
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, this warlock looks incredible! I absolutely love his armore and colors! Great job!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Indeed - it's such a great, fitting twist to the hero. Very well done !
  • Paproch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing warlock. Love it!
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    I hope i'm registered :|, I did post a WIP, hope that counts!
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    yeah. both u and also jlem did register to this event very early. i had already both of u in the spreadsheet as "looking for collabopartner". now i did just update ur status with ur set :)

so for everyone other check out this sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11SCQ16Gkn3gnAiwlixbSpMeHh0D16xU_RrcpcPFQo6Q/pubhtml

go to the second tab, and if there is a green colored field behind ur project - its all fine :)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    also a little wip shot of our lion. there is still some finetuning and mask to do so..

flHxe1X.jpg
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I'm registered and had planned to post the finished sculpt this afternoon of my project. Not sure if that means I am DQ now but i'll post everything sans the weapon which is WIP. I still intend to finish by the original deadline though so I'll just keep plugging away on this.

GP1XWei.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay! We should be able to finish our Mirana now! I also forgot to mention a few weeks back we picked up Ertz to do our loading screen for the Earth Spirit set, other than that, nothing new to add yet from me. And Shock that lion is looking soooo good, cant wait to see him all finished up!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    1Yaytfc.png
    W9drdac.png
    some ingame shots I took last month
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hawf, have you thought about adding any patches or insignias to the back of the jacket? It might just be me but the back view is kinda boring, just a big sheet of blue.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to set up a turntable in Marmoset Toolbag.
    The alpha on the diffuse doesn't show so I've added it (creating a brand new material afterwards) to the normal map and chacked 'alpha from normal'.

Still can't get it to show in preview window.

Any ideas?
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    just select ur dota material und set transparency on cutout

xfaIgF1.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffuse textures completed for our Lich set Prophet9 and I are working on! Feels great to get back on painting textures. Bear with the lack of alphas around the veil (I can't seem to render it well at Maya, pardon my terrible technical knowledge). Now onto masks, wish us luck :D

EbhjDnA.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well our Earth Spirit is stuck in workshop limbo from a payment information mismatch that I can not fix, so I will just put this here for now
    i2CRzTk.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALmost, down to final clipping adjustments and loadscreen/promo stuff now. Working on a turntable:
    Djinn_Turn_01.gif
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    That Lich is pretty sweet, great texture work! My only crit would be to smooth out the red cloth strip with the alpha channel.

Here is an update on the set i'm doing with slimeface. Back budget is pretty bad so it will probably change a bit.

iKYLuAR.jpg
    SRohV2y.jpg
    uXi4BF0.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff here! Good work everyone, looks like this chest is going to rock!
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    @Nannou, I feel like you added too much detail to the sculpt. It conflicts 2 problems from what I know:

1. Comparing it too Puck's original "skin", it looks way too torn up and has an almost "rocky" feel to it. I think you can compare the skin of puck to a salamander or any other amphibian; It's just slimy and has a "clean" look to it.

2. with the low budget on the texture sizes for Puck items, many of the details will not be able to be seen in-game, thus creating a lot of noise.

Anyways, just some things to think about. Looking good so far though!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pluggin' away on this all day. (loadscreen, can be cropped to the 3 sizes and keep heros in view)
    I still need to do the smoke from the lamp, maybe tighten up the ground a bit. Could use feedback.
    Djinn_LoadScreen.jpg
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Pluggin' away on this all day. (loadscreen, can be cropped to the 3 sizes and keep heros in view)
    I still need to do the smoke from the lamp, maybe tighten up the ground a bit. Could use feedback.
    Djinn_LoadScreen.jpg

Well, the background doesn't really do well with the stone ground that alchemist is standing on. Try to use like a desert looking background instead.

The smoke coming from the body of Razzil isn't really blending that well together. I think you can easily fix this by using the smudge tool in Photoshop.

Finally, I think you can make it a little less dark and try to make the colors just a little bit more vibrant.

Overall, this set looks really good! Good luck with it! :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog : The sets looks great, but I think you are making your own job way more complicated than it needs to be for the loading screen illustration. In other words : a little bit of planning will save you tons of headaches !

A few tips :

- Don't start a loading screen illustration by randomly placing a camera in 3d space until "something looks cool". Try to imagine that the picture is a shot taken from a movie, seen through the lens of a real camera (or a movie poster, if you are compositing multiple pictures together) ; that will help you find a solid, readable and simple composition.

- Try to avoid treating the background as an afterthought. This can be addressed by simply looking for references beforehand (movie posters, paintings, existing loading screens) instead of just figuring out the background in the end.
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=movie+poster&biw=1279&bih=679&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XAMrVd6IHY7VatvTgaAD&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

- Careful with the camera going in and out of focus. A lens cannot focus on something (genie), blur out something (smoke) then focus again (Alchemist).

- If anything, try to get most of the loading screen work achieved straight in Marmoset ! This will save you a ton of time. You could look at the illustration work of Moby Francke, see what makes it work (strong lighting, and so on), and create that look straight in the viewer.
    http://theinspirationgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/illustration-moby-francke-01.jpg

I hope this helps ! Good luck, and just keep it simple :)
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, thanks a lot for the crits guys.

I thought about it a bit and...well, I'll comment to the replies so you know what I was thinking, maybe it will help with future crits.

1:re background.
    Desert is a good idea, and initially that was kind of the idea. But the lore is that he found the lamp while mining so it morphed into thinking about a cave (ie: dark colors, purple/blue, etc..)
    Problem there is that he doesn't get the armor until after he releases djinn goblin.
    But... the load screen is to promote the set so...

2: I suck at this so yeah, generic background, lol... Not that that's what I want..
    Guess I justified that because tons of Dota sets have 'blurry magic' backgrounds. They look better but... Still, you are right, even if it is an OK background, it's not really fitting.

3: I actually thought about the camera angle a bit. I want somewhat of a comic book style camera angle. Not quite a typical 'movie camera angle'.
    Again, you are right I botched it.
    I want it to feel as though the Djinn is escaping and super stoked. I really want to emphasize the height and that the ogre is surprised, etc..

When I posed it I had a different angle, but in Marmoset changed it to better fit/fill the desktop. And I feel that is the major issue.

I also didn't get the FOV correct.

It's good to have other sets of eyes for this stuff. :D

4:I suck at this stuff.

5: The smoke is just the blurred out model, I do intend to paint it better. The model was tough to fit in the poly/tex restraints, and by the time I 'de-rigged' it to pose it it was looking pretty rough. So I just blurred it out as rough reference.

I will definitely check out those links, thanks.
    I did a quick (5 min) redo with a marmoset render that matches my original intentions better. And also more of a desert background. At this point I think the ground itself will also be redone, but I see it as him standing on top of a cliff...

Djinn_LoadScreen_desert.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good man ! These promo pictures sure are hard to put together (especially near the end of a project, after so many hours spent on the models already!). On the plus side, they are great practice as they force us to work outside of our comfort zone. Everybody becomes better thanks to them.

I think the choice of a real sky and background will fit the image better, indeed. Abstract magic backgrounds have their time and place, but here your image is clearly shot "on location" so that's a different scenario straight away.

From there I would suggest you to focus on unifying the lighting, and probably adding atmospherics in order to tie everything together. Here are some example of that :
    https://vimeo.com/100095868

And as a final piece of advice : reference, reference, reference ! I keep repeating this on Skype and here, but really, there is zero point in trying to guess anything when it comes to picture making. This applies to the lighting of the characters (you just have to find a scene lit similarly in a movie, which in your case should be super easy with films like Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia and the Prince of Persia movie all being filled with similar shots) ; the surfacing of the cliff (which real life mountain was your floor ground inspired from ?) and the background. Just remember that any time "saved" by jumping straight in Photoshop is ultimately wasted when compared to the time it takes to fiddle around until things work. For instance you could also take the time to a color study, so that even colors are locked down before you get to put together the final image :
    http://blog.mitchalbala.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sharkey-4-color-studies.jpg

However, a value study would have to come first - but this can be done by converting your current image to black and white and working off that.

Good luck !
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no wips to show today, but very glad to hear about the extension - even with it, its going to be tight as my animator is a bit snowed under for the next few weeks...right, back to work!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    LkCXSVQ.jpg

Sculpt done, halfway through the first LODs.

Edit: The water-skin/bota-bag is moved to the middle and enlarged. The belt detail has been flattened to preserve texture sharpness too.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    So many awesome entries so far! :) Can't wait to see'em all!
    Here is our bakes for the Sniper Set! Atm Mango is doing textures!

C&C are welcome!:D

phzxjI1.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice - this will make for an instantly recognizable silhouette ! Great job, and good luck for the final stretch :)
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very early blockout of run - still waiting on finalised game geo + rig before final polish pass!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW27h62-wDI"]LPC - Run Blockout[/ame]
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Messed with a promo render for the BH today. Now that the payment info is fixed Arty and I will upload the CM in a couple days and we'll upload the BH later this week or early next week.

ZFrL0UP.jpg