Home Dota 2

Polycount Community Chest Event

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Katzeimsack, great paintjob so far ! I love how consistent it is (maybe thanks to something like a Substance or DDO setup ?) while still looking manually crafted. It does feel quite high contrast, but I suppose that just like for the WR edits you suggested earlier it will indeed work great once ingame. Well done :)

Nikey, my steps for texturing are :

- polypainting everything in Zbrush, in order to make sure that the coloring works as a whole ;
    - reprojecting screenshots of the model with matcaps applied back onto itself for the most exotic materials like metals or gems ;
    - baking all that polypaint information down to a texture ;
    - from there, doing the usual combination of AO, directional lighting and cavity (see my workshop thread for details) ;
    - and then I do the extra painting in 3DCoat, using both 3d painting and projection painting.

I should also probably mention that I get my "masks" (=specular intensity, gloss, metalness, spec tinting, and so on) done as early as possible, ideally right after I get the polypaint data baked down. It's pretty easy to do as it is just a matter of replicating the values of the default hero model, and it saves a ton of time. For preview I use the Dota2 shader that has been posted here a while ago. It is available for Max, Maya and MayaLT and I find it to be a very accurate preview of the final in-engine look. I could probably use Marmoset for that though, but I sometimes find it to be a bit unpredictable. I need to experiment further with it.

I also want to experiment further with fully automated workflows. While Legacy DDO feels a bit too cumbersome and not "real-time" enough, Substance looks like an interesting tool for Dota2 work. And on top of that, the recent 3DCoat 4.5 beta has a whole new engine for smart materials too. Fun stuff to play with !
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Reza wrote: »
    @Godzy, what matcap is this?

It's pearl with some cavity/edge detection added (you can see on my earlier unrendered shots of the set). after i rendered i just played with the contrast/brightness in photoshop.
  • Nobiru
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobiru polycounter lvl 2
    We finished set for lich! And we hope you like it!
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=414396414

P.S. Should I make post differently?

IeBe-RLxT-k.jpg

9YTS8GZDAfM.jpg

doc52082227_377127295?hash=f0cbad8598c7e72318&dl=a2915d3a258c2f8ce0&wnd=1
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Godzy wrote: »
    It's pearl with some cavity/edge detection added (you can see on my earlier unrendered shots of the set). after i rendered i just played with the contrast/brightness in photoshop.

cool, thanks :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    All hail to the King baby!

7TJ2IFj.gif
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Crunch time :poly122:
    oV1IDcM.png
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Hello fellas! We can say our set for Anti-mage is totally done. Ike_Ike did great job on set and Loadingscreen

7xhptEdscSg.jpg

2E3FA0EA76080C0EC17F327D87A830B31CA5C845337x308.resizedimage
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    This is going to be a huugee event for us, so many hugee works here!

@Nikey: Congratulation on the finishing entry! i really love the set, especially the blades, dat metalness !
    @katzeimsack: you work so freaking fast man, any secret ? xD. Love the design, texture looks so well done, cant wait to see how it looks in-game!
    @Pior: the textures turn out very great, and i do like this new chest a lot better!
    @Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha: This is one of the most interesting rubick set i have ever seen! great work man !
    @Zipfinator: I am so hype for this CM set, so well done from the design to the execution! Also im really curious how this will look on the new cm arcana!
    @Nobiru: congratulation on the finishing entry! solid/ welldone lich set, i do wonder if that orb in the promo image is actually a part of the set ?
    @Prophet9: looks soo good in game-please giff moar pics ! xD

Im running out of time and there's a whole golem left to work on so i gotta try moar harder haha. This is a warlock set that Sylei and i are working on atm, Sylei has started and will update wip on the sculpt soon, for now just the concept on my end (:

PddOrr4.jpg
  • Paproch
    quockhanhlk great concept! Strong classic fantasy vibe. I really like it. Can't wait for the golem and sculpt.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Deadman, the warlock came out really well. The staff looks kind of like a lobster creature with 3 huge jaw pieces.

CM is almost done. I've started blocking in the BH I was originally planning to do for the chest. I'm not sure if I'll have it done in time but we'll see.

WindyCheerfulFrigatebird.gif
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    not bad @quockhanhlk I'm realy like the trend to dress mages in armor lately)
    @Zipfinator finnaly full set looks! very good work
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    In the process of making much better shapes
    LMFSair.png
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Quockhanhlk, damn, that's really, really cool ! Such a fine balance, and it fits the character perfectly. Well done, can't wait to see it shaping up !
  • Dilanka
    Prophet9: Very cool, I am getting a king feel from the tide hunter just from the top down view.
    quockhanhlk: thats a cool design for the warlock, reminds me of a witch hunter.
    Zipfinator: Wowsome! the set really matches Cm really well.
    Nikey: thats a cool loading screen!
    Godzy: Awesome! this better get finished.
    too many cool stuff on here...

Here is my wip so far. I gotten to the color Layers, haven't yet added the Masks yet. I am still tweaking it, probably going to work on the feathers a little more and might add in some interior designs. working on the weapon color layer at the moment.
    VengColorlayerDilanka.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4

Im running out of time and there's a whole golem left to work on so i gotta try moar harder haha. This is a warlock set that Sylei and i are working on atm, Sylei has started and will update wip on the sculpt soon, for now just the concept on my end (:

PddOrr4.jpg

sexy style, teach me senpai
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Delivering Warlock's sculpt ! Weapon and offhand coming soon™

Blockout
    CEr1nlM.jpg
    And final sculpt
    0huyhQ2.jpg
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    I finished!)
    Thank you all for feedback, continue to follow this thread.
    Snake-Charmer by Mr.Ha_Ha

i4UPSk3.jpg?1
  • No Pie For You!
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    Since i`ve finished my set i`ve been quiet about feedbacks, and that`s because i really don`t have professional feeds to give. You guys clearly outclass me for now, and all i can do is drool at your stuff, but from what i`ve seen so far i`d say the Ork Techiez. Snake charmer, Pior`s bug-ranger and Mihalceanu`s witch doctor are my favorite so far.
    The warlock set from Syley and Quock is really promising. I love the art style and it fits perfectly for a battle-mage such as him.

As for my stuff.... it wasn`t verry well recieved by the comunity :( but oh well.... learn from mistakes.
    Looking forward to collaborating with you guys in the future.

OH and one more thing, Can we use the greentooth countour for future polycount related works? Shock?

Pie out!
  • Dilanka
    NO Pie For You: I am still new to Polycount. I have to agree with you about the feedback though, It not very helpful so far and I haven't received any real feedback to improve my work. One of the reasons I wanted to contribute was precisely for this purpose. I guess more popular sets get more attention. :(
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Dilanka : do you mean feedback here, or on the Steam comments ?
    Steam comments can be a mixed bag (after all, comments over there are mostly written by gamers) but when it comes to constructive criticism here on PC it really is just a matter of asking for it !
  • Mr.Khann_Ha_Ha
    No Pie For You and Dilanka
    Do not worry. You simply just start working. At the beginning is usually not easy understanding and clear (This I know sure)
    And sometimes it is difficult to point to specific errors when simply require experience in work and time.
    Keep working! I am sure you will show the cool stuff soon!
  • richithekiller
    Some really inspiring work here! Meanwhile, I'm still plugging away at my Juggernaut sword...

BYOIWYI.jpg

@Toasty: Good point that it would be good to see it in context. Here it is in game.

clzSeSx.gif

iodHgpy.gif

Please let me know what you guys think. This is my first Dota piece, so I'd really like to know how I can improve. :)

Also... is there a way to turn off the particles on an item? This sword is supposed to have a particle mesh, but I don't want any particles!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should make the end glow, a fade of what you have at the hilt now to what you had at the tip earlier. Like it's hot out of the fire, specular shine by hilt, glow at tip.

I don't think you can turn particles off but there might be a good work around. (But people like particles ALOT).

A particle mesh just makes particles spawn at each vert of the mesh, so maybe make a mesh that is only 1 vert hidden in middle of handle. So it'll only spawn one particle hidden inside his hand.

Though I still think a glowing tip with particles around it would be cool.
  • bounchfx
    Mr.Khann - I really love what you did for Rubick there! Awesome stuff.

@ Dilanka - I'm going to defer to what Pior said on this one - If you're looking for feedback, ask for it. Even better, state what you're looking for opinions/advice on (Aka 'I'm not sure how I feel about my helm, do you guys think the colors/shapes work as is?' etc). This lets the rest of us know that you're actually looking for feedback, and precisely what parts to help evaluate.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    @quockhanhlk: being lazy really helps speeding up workflows ... :D

Got the tank ingame, had to rebake the whole thing a few times to get a good character selection texture res. Readability pass is still needed, but it already works quite well :)

wip04.jpg

This is how I got it that "sharp":
    wip05.jpg

I also only uved two tank chains and then used them over and over. 256 is just not a lot for a tank D:
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    tank looks great, though I think the teeth up front should be metal.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    people wanted more wood.. I like them right now :)

playing around with the colors, somehow like the brown metal more, what do you guys think?
    op01.gif
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic! The brown metal suits techie's colour scheme more, the silver metal has a little too much blue in it I think.

--edit--

Actually, something inbetween the 2 might look even better.
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    I prefer the silver metal atm, there is a lack of value contrast with the brown metal.
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    people wanted more wood.. I like them right now :)

playing around with the colors, somehow like the brown metal more, what do you guys think?

l0DcOo64sWU.jpg

I think you should to use both of this metal colors like this.
  • Dilanka
    @bounchfx: its just an observation. Critiques are welcome.

Keep up the great work everyone.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    viO94zc.jpg

here are the much requested metal masks. probably the most notable thing is the texture overlay on the mask 2 red channel, makes the specular thirty times more interesting. i think the base masks were based off the default, but we just kept on tweaking the values until we got something that looked good in loadout and game view. 80% trial and error
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rxcrYfY.gif

and a gif of the loadscreen layers. mostly just blonked on top of some HLMV screenshots
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

@Toasty: Good point that it would be good to see it in context. Here it is in game.

I think the context Toasty was referring to, was the context with the rest of your set that the sword is for. This chest event is for sets, couriers, wards, and huds, not single items.For the sword itself you should darken some of the dirty areas of the sword in the spec mask, R channel of mask2, your secular seems way to uniform and would benefit from some being broken up more
    I think you should to use both of this metal colors like this.

+1 I like this mix of the 2

@Ike - thanks for sharing these! I think this is my favorite AM set in quite some time.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the insight Ike! The spec overlay does indeed make it look better.

Some texture progress on the DP set. I nearly killed myself getting the armor and leg slots down to their LOD1, had to do some redesigning on the fly so you may notice a few changes from the last update.
    Should have some in-game shots soon.

Anyone have any thoughts on the colors? My buddy and I wanted to throw in something to make it different from other DP sets so we wanted whites and golds to make it a bit more elegant looking. Hopefully you guys feel the same cuz I like it :) The white parts are supposed to be iridescent like pearl/abalone so hopefully it reads well in game.
    lsc1t5M.jpg
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I'm done with Necro's bakes
    I will probably have to arrange the feathers a bit better

iuv1h3g.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukotto,
    I think it works, looking in the store all of her set vary pretty widely. Lot of greys, blues that aren't in her original scheme. You're keeping a lot of the pink dress that defines her well in game, would be good to see on overhead shot though.
    Tell me that you can get a ghost done too ;)

@motenai,
    Great sculpt.Colors!
  • richithekiller
    kite212 wrote: »
    This chest event is for sets, couriers, wards, and huds, not single items.

Ah ok. I see. Thanks for the feedback though. :thumbup:
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    TerribleJoyousGoa.gif

Little update on the Turntable, since it didn't rotate in relation to the center of the pedestal, and that bothered me a bit. Also did some more lighting on it, and extended the duration a bit.
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    sooo, got pretty derailed due to life stuff, so i was pretty sure i missed the deadline...then it turns out its been extended to the 15th! Which is great, but i *still*dont think i'll have this finished by then - anyway here's what i've been up to...i'll cross my fingers and see how much i can get done before the finish!

As ever the rigging has been the biggest thorn in my side - after a couple of weeks, managed to get something that mostly works

rig_wip01_zps1jgltpfj.jpg~original

Kept the rigs for the the 2 "characters" separate which should mean i can more easily make changes to either...

blockout animation geometry
    rig_flying_blockout01_zpsqvfuukwj.jpg~original

And heres the result of me slapping on some very ugly keyframes to see if it all worked (i'm not an animator!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IDLwP2BfUc"]Test of Flying Rig[/ame]

and got most of my hipoly prepped and ready to sculpt.
    It doent look like much, but should be relatively simple now once its in zbrush

hipoly_wip01_zps3ev8xrek.jpg~original

Right! Back to work!
  • richithekiller
    Melty!

KFDwPO8.jpg

Thanks ike_ike for sharing your textures!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    You gotta finish pixelherder!

@rich, YES! though the round hole at bottom of blade may be too glowy unless you carry that through the sharpened part of blade next to it (it kind of looks like the inside is still hot which is cool, so the thin part of blade should also be hot.
    Technically a 'set' only needs to be 3 pieces. A metallic molten mask could be super cool and original for him. And maybe a set of bracers :D
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Still whacking away at this, I hope to finish these pieces tomorrow, and move onto the bow and quiver
    zBVuCPw.png
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty good Kite, 2 sets, what an animal :D

Still plugging away on mine, 7 pieces is a chore. Getting close to having the meshes finished. The shoulder slot has been colored, really tight budget on this one.
    Djinn_Cobra.jpg

And 632Fan is going to join me and help out with the promo/loadscreen so that's awesome :D
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    rich, that looks awesome. If I could suggest anything it would be to add a little reflected light onto the hilt from the glory bit. If its molten I'm sure it glows pretty brightly.
    Got the set in-game. Gotta address some rigging issues(especially with the fox) and tweak the textures but its getting there!
    P4ADiLn.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Kept the rigs for the the 2 "characters" separate which should mean i can more easily make changes to either...

I'm pretty sure all the bones need to be connected to a single root bone and fall under one hierarchy. :thumbup:
  • pixelherder
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure all the bones need to be connected to a single root bone and fall under one hierarchy. :thumbup:

yeah, thats what i thought!
    however while making my last courier, due to some happy accidents it seemed that i *could* reference in 2 seperate rigs, and things worked fine...!

double_rig_zpsy404fxo1.jpg~original

now, this was a while ago, and maybe i got lucky, but i'm going to assume things work the same way now. Will be able to test things out properly at the weekend...!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the block in for the BH without the offhand. I'm not sure we'll be able to finish it for the chest event but we'll try.

fudgiebh_wip_01.jpg
  • Toasty
    Whoa, lots of great work being built!

@richithekiller Looking much nicer with the red glow. Would be nice to see the glow blend out over a greater distance.
    @Ike Ike, thanks for sharing the maps! great reference!
    @katzeimsack could you perhaps blend both the silver and brown textures? Using the brown as dirt mask over a base of silver metal?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    lMHYWQI.png
    Ingame shots before promos and uploads
    also making an additional patchless & cigless style due to popular demand
    FyISjxt.png
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    Teaming up with katzeimsack. Finished the highpoly of one of the techies and the base polypaint. techies_wip_1.jpg