Home Technical Talk

I need help, with Milkshape 3D...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ladytron polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I'm new here... :)

I've just created an account at Milkshape 3D, so I could use the forums to ask this question, but I'm not allowed to start a thread. So I scrolled down to the bottom of the sites page, looked at "Currently Active Users", and saw that there was one moderator online (Rat). I went to his/her page to see if I could private message him/her, but I was unable to. So, I saw a link to this site on their page; and here I am.

Anyway, I have one question about Milkshape 3D. I hope there are people on here that can help. I also hope I'm posting this in the correct thread. :\

I'm working on a centerpiece, and I wanted to see how one of the flowers looked with the material/texture assigned to the mesh, just to make sure the mesh is arranged correctly. When I "Assigned" a "Material" the mesh, I couldn’t see the complete mesh in the "3D view". I've tried to rotate the mesh, but only certain parts show at different angles, and the rest are transparent (at different angles). I've even tried to view the mesh from the Front, Back, Left, etc. I don't know why I can't view the complete mesh with the material assigned to it. I really want to know how my textures look on my mesh in Milkshape.

I know how to uvmap, and everything is in the correct place on the map, so I should be able to view the mesh with the textures/material assigned to it (unless I’m missing something).

Does anyone know what’s wrong? Is there an option that's not enabled in MS 3D?

Here are some photo, so you'll have a better understanding of what my problem is:

Untitled-5-3.png

Untitled-5-2.png

Let me add that: All the mesh layers have 2 sides, but only the bottom layer was split in UVmap. So there’s 2 textures applied to the bottom layer.

I hope I’ve explained everything correctly. I hope everything made sense.

Thank you!:)

Replies

• Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    seriously man if you don't have the money for a 3d app then go use blender why would someone want to use milkshape these days? last time i heard about it beeing used is more than 10 years ago :O
    maybe i'm wrong but from your screens it doesn't look like it changed much since then
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    (lol!!!!) No it hasn't changed.

However, I need Milkshpae, because I'm creating meshes for The Sims 3, and it's very compatible with that game. Plus, there's plug-ins that people create for MS, for Sims 3. And please don't call me a man, I'm a female, but I know you probably didn't mean it that. =)

Edited: You mean a 3D app that cost $1000 bucks?! I've paid for MS ($30... lol). And also, I only mesh for recreation/hobby. :/ I use Blender sometimes, but I haven't completely learned how to use it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You know you can use blender to create stuff and just import it into MS3D right?

it might be a bit tough to learn at first but the tools are much much better than ms3d.
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right; the tools are better, but when I transfer my Blender mesh to MS, MS double the poly count. So that's why I don't use Blender.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you're doing all the modeling and such in Blender, why would you even go and import into MilkShape, anyway?
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I want to use TSRW (The Sims Resource Workshop). TSRW has plug-ins for MS, for The Sims 3. TSRW is only compatible with Milkshape (I think). I'm meshing for The Sims 3, and this involves both TSRW, Milkshape.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    did you try exporting the model as it is. those look like transparent meshes so it could just be a sorting error.

What you can do to fix it if it is a sorting error is detach all the elements and then add them back in vertical order.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that's a blast from the past. Milkshape just refuses to ever die.

Given the size of the Sims modding community and the open source nature of Blender, I'm surprised someone hasn't gone through and written proper import/export tools. It'd be a damn sight better than people having to fiddle about with a 3d application which was considered to be pretty terrible even back when it was being used to make Quake 2 models.
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    did you try exporting the model as it is. those look like transparent meshes so it could just be a sorting error.

What you can do to fix it if it is a sorting error is detach all the elements and then add them back in vertical order.

Well, I like to make sure everything looks right in MS, before I proceed any further. I'm pretty sure the mesh is fine, though.

What do you mean by: "detach all the elements"? You mean remove the texture?

And by "vertical order", do you mean reverse the faces?
    ( Yeah... You're going to have to explain that to me. Sorry... :\ )
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Wow that's a blast from the past. Milkshape just refuses to ever die.

Given the size of the Sims modding community and the open source nature of Blender, I'm surprised someone hasn't gone through and written proper import/export tools. It'd be a damn sight better than people having to fiddle about with a 3d application which was considered to be pretty terrible even back when it was being used to make Quake 2 models.

Actually, there is a tutorial on how to use Blender for The Sims 3, but it requires tool that are still in beta testing (I think, not sure). However, I trust TSRW, I prefer it over any other application.
  • Next
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    ..regarding the doubled face count.
    blender counts quads as one 1 face thus 2 triangles and ms does only count triangles.-this makes it appear as if it has the doubled amount of faces which actually isnt the case... to test this just hit ctrl+t in edit mode in blender to triangulate..now the face/triangle count should be displayed as the same in both apps.

cheers
  • Mark Dygert
    wow... milkshape3D..."That is a name I have not heard for a long long time."

Do EVERYTHING else in another program then import it into Milkshape and use it to export to the Sims. Seriously its a horrible program.

Even back in its half life moding heyday import/export was the only thing it was used for. I would gladly pick up blender if it saved me from having to use milkshape and I strongly dislike blender.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    stalwartly refusing to stop using MS while others have given you a better/even more powerful FREE option...

i sense a lost cause?

nobody here uses MS, so you're unlikely to find help here. try the MS forum?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe blast from the past indeed. But hey I remember Milkshape being a nice introduction to 3D back in the days - knowing it inside out allowed me to jump to 3DSMax very easily back then, since MS is basically a very simple standalone 3DSMax Edit Mesh mode.

Can't really help with your specific issue LadyT, but you could maybe upload the file for someone to have a look. I am sure we can figure this one out!
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    It could be a few different things.

Could you take a screenshot without the texture applied? This will help determine if it is an alpha sorting issue or reversed normal.

If it's alpha sorting, then I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, except see if it work in game.
  • Mark Dygert
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe blast from the past indeed. But hey I remember Milkshape being a nice introduction to 3D back in the days - knowing it inside out allowed me to jump to 3DSMax very easily back then, since MS is basically a very simple standalone 3DSMax Edit Mesh mode.

Can't really help with your specific issue LadyT, but you could maybe upload the file for someone to have a look. I am sure we can figure this one out!
    I started out the same way I used Milkshape to make half a dozen models or so for Half Life mods way back when. I then jumped to MayaPLE then GMax. Maya taught me a lot but switching to GMax was very natural thanks to my milkshape experience. It felt like going home again but with a bunch of great tools.

GMax is still free and still floating around, It's pretty much a full version of Max4 or 5 so pretty old by today's standards, but still light years ahead of milkshape. The only thing GMax doesn't do is export to popular formats and it won't render. But there are formats that it does export to that Milkshape imports and from there you can export to other formats. That is one thing that Milkshape had going for it, the import export features.

So personally I would go blender or Gmax. Gmax at least would get you familiar with the basic tools and the interface of a major application.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone reminded of Wavelength everytime their hear of MS3D.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yep and Wings3D comes to mind too...
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww!... Thank you so much for the replies! I truly appreciate it!
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »

Here's the file, pior: http://www.4shared.com/folder/c1uCPyDg/Ladytrons_Mesh_Project.html

Thank you!!
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    It could be a few different things.

Could you take a screenshot without the texture applied? This will help determine if it is an alpha sorting issue or reversed normal.

If it's alpha sorting, then I don't think there's really anything you can do about it, except see if it work in game.

Here: Untitled11.png

Thank you!
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I couldn't download your model, but I was able reproduce the problem. It's defiantly alpha sorting. Since Milkshape doesn't seem to have detach functionality (like r_fletch_r mentioned), you can select the middle layer and go to Edit > Duplicate Selection, then select the top layer and do the same. This re-orders the polygons so the top layer will always draw over the other two.

See below, the left set of icons is duplicated from the ones on the right to correct the alpha sorting.
    milkshape.png

I feel dirty for using Milkshape. :(
  • Ladytron
    Offline / Send Message
    It worked! Thank you sooo much, monster (and everyone)! You've made me happy!:)

Works.png

thank_you_094.gifthank_you_004.gif
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Nash
    Gee, even those animated GIFs are so 1997... this thread IS a blast from the past. :O
  • Denny
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    I just want to say that this thread made my day. I have a lot of good memories with Milkshape and Half-Life / Counter-Strike modding back in the days.