Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Coridium's Zbrush Doodles Thread

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Coridium polycounter lvl 10
Hi All,

Thought I would start a thread for the random zbrush doodles that I create out of work hours for fun. They are normally 1 nights work (sometimes a little more depending on how much I am enjoying it :) )

So to kick off, I am a big fan of sci-fi (who isn't) anything sci-fi really but in particular products with a futuristic aesthetic, anyway I wanted to give some futuristic headgear a go.

I started all of these with a polysphere and just pushed and pulled until I liked something then extrapolated from there. They all took around 4 hrs work to get the hp mesh, 30 mins to split them into various different parts then probably a couple of hours playing around with various materials and render settings. They are all Zbrush High poly (around a million in most cases, so quite low detail for a hp) and are intended to be used for concept purposes not production models (ie. they are pretty rough around the edges.)

Police Enforcer Mk2
st9e.jpg

Police Drone Mk1
po4w.jpg

Hazardous Environment Helmet Ver.1
w016.jpg

Hazardous Environment Helmet Ver.2
bmpk.jpg

Attack Drone
pr17.jpg

I hope you like them, I hope to post some more soon!

Replies

• Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all,

Here is another one. Based (loosely) on this cool concept by Anthony Jones.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J7lw7HL-EW8/ToyyKdcT6RI/AAAAAAAAAys/WtiKeyk_iNM/s1600/231231.jpg

b8ud.jpg

Cheers,
    Chris
  • scotthomer
    Fantastic work as always Chris, I love the police helmet. Dem Bevels. I think in some places the HDRIs are alittle noisy and as a result the geo looks borked just because of the sheer amount of light information contradicting the geo. This is most noticeable around the eyes on the second helmet.
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thanks for the feedback mate.

Its mainly because they are not very High Poly (there are no control loops, just evenly distributed polygons across the whole surface.) Since they where completely created in zbrush, I quickly I masked various areas then split them into several polygroups to get different materials assigned. This unfortunately means that you get very rough edges, basically a stepped polygon pattern which creates that noisy edge that you see (the HDRs will not be helping either :( ).

Tbh these where a test in speed while trying to get a reasonably presentable quality but you are totally right, there is lots of room for improvement. For the next one I will see if I can keep the speed/flexibility but improve the final quality. Thanks again!
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Bloomin eck Chris, these are so crisp. you've really nailed down hard surface in Zbrush, they all look awesome, especially the second hazardous environment helmet. Awesome work :)
  • Neoncypher
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    Yikes. These are awesome. I'd really like to pick your brain on Zbrush hard surface stuff some time mate :D