Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reference Questions

Hey I really wanted to start getting more serious about my 3D artwork. Due to our final portfolio for school needing to be focused on one thing to graduate.

We have to produce 6 pieces in the focus that we wish, I am going to focus for the pieces environment mapping / creating modular modelling to puzzle together a few portfolio art pieces.

So I wanted to know where most of this great community grabs their references from, and what do you think is interesting at this moment and time to try to produce ?

My interest are :

Highly advanced technologies, futuristic space ships, futuristic worlds.

Thanks in advance if you take the time to post and if you have any tips, advice I would gladly love to hear them.

- Ron S -

Modularwall_Type_B.jpg

Modularwall_Type_Environment_Blockout.jpg

Update # 3

Hanger_WIP_D.jpg

Hanger_WIP_B.jpg

Hanger_WIP_C.jpg

Hanger_WIP_E.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, C&C are more than welcome, also I've been working slow due work and college :P.

Small update

ModularParts.jpg

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Ron.S wrote: »
    Highly advanced technologies, futuristic space ships, futuristic worlds.

Yeah... why wouldn't you be?

Stay away from Scifi. If there is anything that is becoming uninteresting at the moment it is "future." Unless you can really do something that has a "wow" factor to it... meaning original and unique and sci fi has been stomped into the ground a lot lately so that would be really difficult.

Be a little less cliche, and do something you don't see everyday. Might help you stand out from the crowd a bit.
  • Ron.S
    OK thanks for your advice, maybe something " WOW " stylized pieces ? I really like the hand painted textured look :).

Well what type of theme do you think should be seen more often Bigley ?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    D:
    lol not World of Warcraft... a "wow factor" meaning when someone sees it they say "Wow, I have never seen that before! That is cool!" Just because it is something that is original.

and referring to your last question... idk. just not scifi. ;)
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I would say do what you do best..and not worry about people's opinions of genre..if you like scifi, you want to make scifi, you want to work for a company that does scifi ...the n do scifi stuff...But try to approach with a "wow factor" ..you've seen one scifi corridor/hallway you've seen them all...What does a scifi bathroom look like- is that an alien larva popping it's head up out of the toilet...Or what about a ship breaking yard for spaceships...or an alien butcher shop...try to think outside the same old pillar/hallway/ thinamabob with hoses and glowing lights

as far as refrence..I really just use google images..find out the name of the concept artists on your favorite film/game/tv and try to find their work
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor wrote: »
    I would say do what you do best..and not worry about people's opinions of genre..if you like scifi, you want to make scifi, you want to work for a company that does scifi ...the n do scifi stuff...But try to approach with a "wow factor" ..you've seen one scifi corridor/hallway you've seen them all...What does a scifi bathroom look like- is that an alien larva popping it's head up out of the toilet...Or what about a ship breaking yard for spaceships...or an alien butcher shop...try to think outside the same old pillar/hallway/ thinamabob with hoses and glowing lights

as far as refrence..I really just use google images..find out the name of the concept artists on your favorite film/game/tv and try to find their work

Well said sir ;)
  • Ron.S
    Yea, bigley I understood what you meant by a " WoW " affect on people, I meant the game WOW stylized look like something with hand painted textures.

I will try to come up with a few pieces and see what you guys think of it thanks, and thank you Low.
  • Ron.S
    Well started on my new environment piece, it will be referenced from some of Gray Shukos' work, hes a great artist.

Modularwall_Type_B.jpg

And my reference

http://gray.shuko.free.fr/095.htm

And his site if you wanna look at awesome stuff. C&C are welcome and thanks in advance.

http://gray.shuko.free.fr/
  • Ron.S
  • Ron.S