Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks beautiful...
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Ewing wrote: »
    Also, how do you directly embed youtube on Polycount?!?!

Remove the "&feature=youtu.be" at the end of your link and it should work.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ m4dcow: Thanks! Worked like a charm :)
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Oh it look fun to play (Y), love it.
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Holy mother. Awesome job dude. Hope mine turns out half as good as yours.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So! thanks all for the great encouragement!

@Anglorum PFFT! Your course looks so legit! I definitely had my WOW days, so I love the style and you really have done a ton in the amount of time we have. Very impressive.

I added a bit of floating rock surrounding the temple to ground the whole thing and make it feel more complete. Took a long time to start understanding the lighting. I found a major issue that I had spent HOURS trying to figure out was actually something extremely simple. Setting your collision meshes to invisible does not mean they don't cast shadows, so there are a couple other settings in the "lighting" tab of the properties tab that need to be set to either "none" or "false" to make the lighting ignore your invisible collision meshes.

Heres an updated look at the scene. Still need to add....

Fog-this was working properly in a different scene, but now I can't seem to get the fog to actually influence my meshes, it just changes the background color...Not sure why.

Smoke particle effect-After a little tweaking, the included smoke particle effect makes an excellent thick fog if anyone has a need for it. Very simple to tweak color, size, etc. in the vForge UI.

Particle effects for the holes to make them more visible.

a very simple skybox-(simple because it will be largely obstructed by the fog) that will just be a mountain range silhouette with a gradient sky above it.

Looking forward to everyones thoughts!

Lighting is NOT final. I frankly would love any input on how to improve the lighting, as I am completely new to it and this is my first real attempt.

Thanks all!

with_rocks_zps8188faaf.png
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    One of my favourite entries look forward to seeing what else you do. Will have to look into that particle effect for mine.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sharvo! You have made some really fast progress on your Roman level. Excited to see it come together! I think the smoke effect would really make your seige idea come to life. It is actually a really nice effect. Thanks for the kind words!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    I was going to post this in my thread but where is the fog/mist you were talking about I could not see it in the particle systems?
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SHarvo: Posted on your thread. I did say that I found it in the "open a particle" tab I believe, but it is actually in the "create particle" tab.

Quick update with the particle effects added in. I think I just need my skybox and I can call it done!

Looking forward to some crit.

finalwithfog_zps496d4c72.png
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this effect.

Prepare to be cloned... IN RED or anything other colour that I like as I really need something to fill those spaces.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    That looks really mood dude, nice :D
    Totally feeling the ball location highlights ass well :)

If you arent using the vertex colouring for anything yet you could maybe use it to either darken the scene as you travel down or turn it more green to reflect the fog around?
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement all! I agree with Shiv that a little more gradient between layers would help ground the course more in the scene.

I have never done vertex color, nor have I ever made a skybox, or most everything I am creating for this contest, so I will see what I can learn over the coming week. I whipped up a 2 minute sky in PS, just to start to understand how the skybox will affect the whole scene. Feeling good about pushing the night's sky visual, with obviously a TON more refinement.

All thoughts welcome!

skybox_1_zpsbc54342e.png
  • JamesR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vertex painting is quite simple. There's a decent instruction video on youtube for blender, vscorpianc, though without many polys.. there aren't many vertices which is where you basically add your colour, so from the bottom of the mesh this can be effective. Though I've tried painting a whole mesh, its not that great, for the 4 sided cube no. of vertices (You have to remember in vertex paint mode to have the whole mesh selected or you paint nothing.)
    Then the vse shader is as simple as Ryan's pic, although with your textures you can add a multiply node and have the vertex paint and diffuse node and mix them. Although I'm not sure how you can control the values.
    Its worth trying just to see what its like. It export on the mesh though, but if you don't like it just use a normal shader and the colour doesn't show up.

After 10 mins, you can see why it seems like a brilliant idea as well with a 1k texture size limit...

Though I think it will be tough to improve on what you have done.
  • Davidskiwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Love the atmosphere you've created, the fog looks amazing! I'm interested to see what vertex colours can do, i've yet to dabble in them myself, but it certainly sounds interesting.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final skybox!

In fact, I think it might be time to call it done...

far_1_zpsc3826cf5.png
    close_1_zpsa559d6b1.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQ0i2zAA3Y"]Minigolf Final - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final submitted!

Looking forward to everyone's feedback!

This has been an awesome journey, and I am so consistently impressed by the camaraderie and support this community offers, especially for a group of such diverse people. I am just starting out as a game artist, and it has been amazing to receive feedback from such talented, accomplished, and down to earth people. Thanks polycount!

That said, all crit is welcome, even if it is negative.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is just awesome! Great job! It's really atmospheric!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Wow this is great dude, lovely textures and the little touches of vegetation really round this out.

I would say though that your beauty shots don't really sell how good the level actually is.
    I would ditch the furthest zoomed out image, have the other as an overall view, and then get a closer shot which would showcase your textures. Ideally you want a nice focal point which for me would be path leading to the hole.
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @m4dcow: I agree about the beauty shots. I guess I was relying on the video to showcase the look close up of the level, but I would agree that the more I look at it, the less that far shot really does for me in terms of conveying the level.

Thanks for the feedback! I will get a new shot in before Sunday, and I think I will add a few more technical shots as you did with your reef, which came out absolutely amazing!
  • Ewing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALRRRIGHTY,

So I updated my final submission post, but here is a repost for anyone who wants to see it!

Temple of the Verdant Tempest
    Ewing

Final_infospot_zpsdd0533d2.png

Final_superclose_zps03976bfb.png

Wireframe_zpsf7b801c6.png

assets_zpseb2f83bc.png

texture_zps735b263a.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OFhbbatfiA"]Temple of the Verdant Tempest - YouTube[/ame]

Build Thread

Well, this was my first polycount contest, and the whole experience has been amazing. The entire community here, as well as Havok (especially Ryan, who was extremely helpful!) have been so supportive and constructive. Thanks to everyone for the feedback, encouragement, and suggestions. 80% of what I did for this contest I was doing for the first time, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Good luck everyone, I am truly humbled by the talent around me.
    All feedback welcome on the build thread!