Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A sculpt or drawing a day

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
Hiya,

I'm thinking about punching out a Zbrush sculpt or some kind of drawing everyday. I just want to get better at this stuff.

Stuff so far:

A 15 min mouth, afwards I got the idea to do this everyday
mouth.jpg

A head I did this morning. Does anyone else has this habbit of always tending to make old people?
oldhead.jpg

Ok I'll see if can do some more sculpts today or otherwise tomorrow.

PS: feel free to PM me or something if I don't post each day :)

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Mouth = 2 inflated sasuages ? ;] Make yourself a base mesh going inside the mouth. Then you can sculpt on it. Sculpting on a flat surface works when you at least know the brushes. Old man looks like he is melting. Use more referance. Muscles, bones, skin. You have to know how it works to be able to sculpt something realistic. Waiting for tomorrow sculpts.

PS don't subdivide the mesh until you are not able to do anything else on the subd level you are at the moment. Use move tool on fairly low poly mesh and work on proportions and form then subdivide.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the tips. I have been looking at reference images but I find it hard to follow them correctly. I suppose this gets better once I do it more. Also is there anyway to keep reference open while working in Zbrush? ALT-TABing isn't really working too well.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    If you dont have second monitor use xnviews always on top function. Zbrush 4 has spotlight which can do stuff like putting referance on your canvas. Less work space but with referance. Too be honest i never used spotlight. Only heard of it ;] Xnview should do the trick though.

http://www.phungdinhdung.org/Studies_paper/Realistic_face_modeling.shtm - some cool stuff
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    The harvest of the day! :)

woman.jpg

Updated the old man a bit. I tried keep in the mind the skull and the muscles but it's indeed hard to do on a higher detail level. I'll keep in mind to start slow next time.

oldhead1.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ah, on this last one, the eyes are too high up on the skull.
    I was going to say you go high too fast, but you've realized it.
    So, I look forward to seeing you progress!