Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest

Riot Art Contest 2014 - Q&A

Replies

• Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    - For the creep den, do we have to fit everything on 1x 2048 or can we split that into 3x1024/4x512's, for example?

Use your best judgement for the texture maps on the creep content (rocks, tree, bushes, etc.)

- In terms of judging criteria, is it all based on execution or is originality/design also considered?

Thanks!

Execution is whathe we will be judging.
  • ROZZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a quick question for motivation purposes XD
    umm.. so if you find someone's work is truly professional and good, would riot games consider recruiting him in the future? is this like kinda the purpose of fanart contests like these?

• Dhairyasheel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    only animation style should be like lol right? not the particular choice of animation

We would like to see animations that keep to the general direction of LoL.
  • Axisart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! First post here, since I created my Polycount account for the contest. This will be fun and I'm eager to see everyone's results! As for the question:

Can I do some kind of "crossover"? I mean I've seen some of your characters are slightly based off other games. Can I do the same thing and create a skin for a LoL character based on another game?

Thx for the oportuny btw, I believe I'm going to learn a lot with this :)

Keep in mind copyright issues here. You can have some inspirations but...
  • iceburn91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iceburn91 polycounter lvl 5
    iceburn91 wrote: »
    "Create a unique animation imagining what the character’s ultimate ability or unique move would look like."

So I have to choose like Leona Solar Flare and make a new animation for that ultimate?

It could be for any ultimate ability. You can either redo her current ultimate or you can create a new animation for something unique that you feel she would do.

Is there some frame limitation per animation? Like you can only make the ultimate in 60 frames our something like that?

No hard limitation but please keep in mind that an ult should not be too overboard.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Are environment assets should be suitable exactly for Summoner’s Rift map? For example: can we make an autumn or winter flora?

Sure.
  • Lazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Quick question,
    will I be disqualified if I use some stuff from Paul's earlier neon strike vi concepts? I'm not sure if that counts as fan art since it's not the official version.

Thank you!

You are fine. That is art made by a Rioter which is acceptable.
  • PoLLuX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoLLuX polycounter lvl 5
    I saw some kind of questions regarding this but I just want to be sure.

We only can use Diffuse and Alpha maps, right? No normal, emissive, specular maps allowed?

Diffuse and alpha only.
  • operion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    operion polycounter lvl 4
    Let's do this!! :D
  • VoidValkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VoidValkon polycounter lvl 2
    I just made an account in order to participate but I can't create a new topic in the WIP section because it says I have unsufficent rights. What do I have to do in ordert to create a thread there?
  • mrnunez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrnunez polycounter lvl 2
    For the Character Challlenge, is possible to show your character with some "Idle" or "walking animation"?. Just to show how topology behaves and possible show some elements? or it should be completely static?

Sure. It will not be a factor in the judging.
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickaelb polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, is there a specific permission to post a new thread in the contest forum ? I can't create a new thread and I don't know why...
    Thank you,
    MB
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickaelb polycounter lvl 3
    Is there a user problem ?

Edit : Finally I can create new thread, I think it was because I'm a new user so I had to post a message before creating a new thread ;)
  • spacebodi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for Illustration . can i design a new champion from my imagination , or i have to design from champions in LoL
  • Demno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Could you confirm that the vfx has to be rendered out from a realtime engine as I've seen speculations on wether this is the case or not. If it does not have to be realtime, I seriously need to rethink my plans :)

You can render in Maya but we will be evaluating whether it is real time limitations.
  • DomKalavera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

Quick VFX question: Does the two different effects need to relate at all? Or the idea is just to create the two best particle effects we can think of.

Thank you

No. We we would like to see different motiffs.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    Sugus wrote: »
    - For the creep den, do we have to fit everything on 1x 2048 or can we split that into 3x1024/4x512's, for example?

- In terms of judging criteria, is it all based on execution or is originality/design also considered?

Thanks!

Economy is the name of the game. We are judging execution and not design.
  • arvin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvin polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,

I have a few questions..

1.) I am currently using Garena(PH) for playing LoL am I allowed to use my account there or do I have to make an NA account? Also can I join the contest?

2.) I will be joining the 3D Character art contest, can I use my character there for the animation category?

3.) Can I post the link of thread outside of polycount? Also can I post my w.i.p. outside of polycount?

4.) Is it possible to win more than 1 category(I wish i would even win:\)?

Thanks!
  • anemator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anemator polycounter lvl 7
    I understand we can bake maps to the diffuse and will not be using normal maps. But, can we bake displacement or normal maps to the diffuse though?
  • Braindaowg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we are to do a redesign do we need to have concepts of the redesign to go along with the model?

No. If you are redesigning something, you do not need to submit concepts because you could just design right in the model stage. With that being said, we would still like to see any reference materials you used to create your design.
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we get a creep den reference? And do we need to provide a destroyed turret model as well?

Reference is stylized environment pieces. No need to create destroyed turrets.
  • MrAwexome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    so is Renekton's Chinese splash art fair game or should i find another reference? image attached.Renekton_OriginalSkin_old2.jpg

Yes.
  • cybuster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cybuster polycounter lvl 3
    arvin wrote: »
    Hi,

3.) Can I post the link of thread outside of polycount? Also can I post my w.i.p. outside of polycount?

I'd like to know this as well :icon3:

EDIT: This was answered earlier on the thread, thanks! :D
  • kumbalaseta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where I could see the character references LoL?

There are many sites including leagueoflegends.Com with lots of information and images of the Champions from the game.
  • deskninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like someone already asked my question and got a response. Awesome. Looking forward to the work.
  • thunderhq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where can i get the rune language that is present in the current league of legends lore? i need it for the skin design i am going for.

You do not have to match our internal rune symbols/language. This is fan art. Have fun with it.
  • kitsune_jt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi im from Bogota/Colombia, i can enter the contest or have region/area restrictions?

There are no U.S trade restrictions with Columbia, so you should be good to go! :)
  • RafaelJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RafaelJ polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, for the Character contest, as the hi-res is optional can I make the model hi res but yet stylized with not that much polygon but maybe with more than one uv tile and normal maps as the cinematic ones EX: ( http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/73...f32729aeba.jpg ) an then make a lighter version with flat textures for the in game version?
  • ColdWintersNight
    Refer to the WIP thread in what way? Will judging be based on how much WIP you post?

No. The WIP thread is for us to see your process and will be used to make sure you are a Polycount.com user.
  • ColdWintersNight
    Ah. I see in the rules that you do need to start up a WIP thread. Well I tried to make one tonight, but the site says I'm not authorized to do so yet?
  • Necronn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My questions:
    1 - In the Game Heroes has a cell shading, 3d final model need to have it?
    ibjVokvQaeFMXc.jpg

We will not be judging the black outline. That is done in engine so you do not have to concern yourself with trying to recreate that.

2 - The hero "Zac" seems to have a specular map, could better explain the shadow that he is using? I ask this because of what you said a few threads ago about the plays using only diffuse map...
    iYRQbgi04GQHO.jpg
    reference image

We do have some characterms such as Zac that have a spec. For this contest, we want to only see diffuse maps only. The art that is being made for this contest is not going to be used for the game and we are judging your painting skills. You can add a spec if you want for an additional beauty image if you want to show how Zac would look like with a spec but it is not required.
    cya :)
  • Grum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !
    For the environment contest is it possible to match with the winter somunner's rift Riot used to show during christmas month or/and the howling abyss ? Or is it constrained to the classical summoner's rift ?

That is fine. We just want to see that the model and texture style fit within the LoL art direction.
  • tincow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, could you answer a couple of questions for me. I am developing a Zac model and as there is no spec map but he has a spec and a slight translucency that we can use elements of the shader to get the desired effect?

See above.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    EDIT: Removed. Question answered by someone else.
  • Sexy Bot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is making a weapon required for our character art entry?

Use your best judgement hear. It is not required but some charters have their weapons as a key part to the whole character.
  • Felice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felice polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! Sorry if it was asked before
    i can't create new thread in illustration section for my work but there always error
    i registered three days ago and account still not approved( can you help me?
    Thanks!
  • Ellendia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    Sorry if the question has already been asked.

- Do I use a second character for the first makes his attack on it?

- Must the animations have to be based on a specific champion ?

Thanks
  • jazzido
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where are the Terms % Conditions? I need to read them.

Official rules can be found here: http://www.polycount.com/riot-games-art-contest-2014-rules/
  • VersusDiesel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello. :)

Sorry if my english is not good, i'm french.

I have a question about the illustration section. Can we use a 3D software to create and textured our character, and add some things painting on the final picture in photoshop ?

Thank you. :)

Yes, you can use 3d as a base. Just keep in mind that the team gravitates towards dynamic perspective and posing.
  • kitsune_jt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! thanks :)
  • Leta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, i have sketchbook but i can´t setup the page, how can i get the page in 3000px with the option´s program??

(sorry for my english jajaja)
  • Newb_Kid_From_The_Block
    Hi, can one use a different character for each animation?

Ex:

* Walk Cycle - Character A

* Attack/ Ultimate - Character B

Thanks!

Yes.
  • dubyaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question regarding what kind of storytelling Riot is looking for...

I know a lot of the character lore is currently being revised. I'm afraid of starting a backstory based piece due to the changing lore. Would a group fight scene have enough storytelling, or is it better to do a lore-based piece regardless of upcoming changes?

I'm just not sure if showcasing champion abilities is considered storytelling or if they're looking for a piece that shows more depth/backstory.

We are looking for story telling ability in the work. We should understand what the character is doing and why. It could be highlighting a special ability of that character and communicating the fantasy of what that ability looks like up close, etc. We do not mean following all the lore history it is more of composition, posing, etc.
  • Getsu101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you guys please answer this question...I am trying to learn how to work polycount....I am trying to upload my progress but for some reason they are only appearing as a thumbnail in my post..When I click in my post I cant see my image at it's regular size but thumbnail form..Can you guys tell me what am i doing wrong??...Sorry if the question sounds a little stupid...Thx..

Please read below.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Getsu101 wrote: »
    Can you guys please answer this question...I am trying to learn how to work polycount....I am trying to upload my progress but for some reason they are only appearing as a thumbnail in my post..When I click in my post I cant see my image at it's regular size but thumbnail form..Can you guys tell me what am i doing wrong??...Sorry if the question sounds a little stupid...Thx..
    Upload your images to imgur or some sort of photo sharing service and then use the insert image tags to include them in your post.

Thanks.
  • Shadowskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowskin polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, i'm a little confused. About rule number 4: Riot entry in the contest. May you give some clarifications about each line, or a simulation of that? I mean, starting for line 4.

Summoner Name: Is it the champion name? Just Ashe?

Lol Account name: I'll have to register on Lol and give my username, right?

Link to Polycount WIP Thread: In my case would be: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141801

Polycount Screen Name: What would it be? Is my nick on Polycount Account?

About that two attached files: They will bee the final images, texture and composite, right? I won't have to put my .obj, will I?

I know, there are silly questions , but i prefer to be sure about everything.

Another questions: I chose Ashe char for recreate her artwork, but if i want to make a new skin, it would be one existing in one of all champions, wouldn't be? I'm mean, i could create as Ashe's demon skin, right? Can I change her figurine only, and color scheme?

Thanks for your attention!
  • crownedking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!
    For illustration, does it have to be like a splash?
    Or can it be just an illustration (showing a champion's lore)?
    Thank you! :)

I am not understanding the question. We do not want any writing. We would like an image that shows a character or characters from LoL in a well put together illustration image that conveys a sense of storytelling.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Can I chose to create Ao Shin as a 3D character even though he hasn't been released yet?

Sure.
  • Gandosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gandosh triangle
    By the way is this competition world wide?

Answer: Full rules here: http://www.polycount.com/riot-games-art-contest-2014-rules/
  • Sarankan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sarankan polycounter lvl 6
    Hey there, I want to reconsider my entry (choose a different character)can i just mention on top of the thread, even though the thread's named differently..sorry for the inconvenience

Not a big deal.
This discussion has been closed.