Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun: Scar MK 16

spahr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spahr polycounter lvl 8
I dont know much about guns, but I love modeling them it seems (same with cars). And I was looking over my old guns and I got an impulse to make a really good gun. My goal is to get a clean high poly and bake to low, equiped with full attachments like scopes, grenade launcher, different ammo clip. Pretty much anything I saw clamped to this gun im going to model it. So I have the base pretty much done, just need to do the scope things, cant find a good reference (and like i said i dont know much about guns so I cant just go off memory lol)

Heres what I got so far, theres a few minor things ive seen Ill need to clean up, but if you guys notice anything im all ears.

scar4.jpg
scar3x.jpg
scar1o.jpg

Thanks for any C&C guys! Ill have some updates soon, im just waking up reving to get going.

Replies

• dv8ix
    Pretty sweet. Good Idea with the Numbers'
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Refz: http://www.pixagogo.com/DeicideNBF

Looks pretty good already. You say you don't knw much about guns: I always can't help but read history, specs, all that sort of stuff about the objects I'm making. reading the wikipedia page is a great start.

edit: few accuracy things if I quickly look at ref. Mostly seems to be stuff that's too sharp and straight on your model, like above the mag at the front. Could be that your MK16 is a different version, I can't tell.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I read the wiki, and saw some red necks (not an insult) on youtube firing them and disasembling them. But a lot of the time they make comparisons and jokes that go right over my head lol. Ive never actualy seen a gun in my life.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty sweet, great attention to detail with the numbers. :)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great start! my fave from l4d2 :)
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    You can just look at assault rifle scopes, since the SCAR can take many variety of scopes, just like any other rifle. I like the model though looks cute, will you throw down a low poly? If so please post some WIP since I would love to learn the process of modeling a low poly gun model with high detail, like Socom and Modern warfare.

This website has everything from a small acog to a large sniper 26x36 long range scope, I dont thing the gun can shoot that far but it would be good for observing through that.
    http://www.mountsplus.com/thestore/24_RIFLE_SCOPES.html
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for that link man. And yeah ill be making a low. Ill post some wires pretty soon, right now its a bit messy :P. But I like doing hard surface high poly modeling, I just work with low poly and build to smooth by treating a lot of edges, and mostly just float a lot of pieces like the bolts and letters. Just working on like a red dot scope thingy right now, post that the second its done :poly121:
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr wrote: »
    Thanks for that link man. And yeah ill be making a low. Ill post some wires pretty soon, right now its a bit messy :P. But I like doing hard surface high poly modeling, I just work with low poly and build to smooth by treating a lot of edges, and mostly just float a lot of pieces like the bolts and letters. Just working on like a red dot scope thingy right now, post that the second its done :poly121:

Good to hear brother, doing a awesome job. The SCAR can take pretty big bullets in a modified M16 magazine, and it can also take a lot of other ones so thats something to decide.

Here is a picture for the GL that might help.
    800px-FN_EGLM.jpg
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Oh yeah, im itching to get at that grenade launcher. That an the grip are the 2 scar specific attachments im going to do. I was looking at all those scopes, and i wanted to do them all lol. But heres one scope ive done today.

scarscope1.jpg

You can see right there i need to make that area when the butt meets. I cant seem to get any good reference pic from the OTHER side of the gun :poly127: . Well i think that scope is done, and its time to move on....to another scope :). actualy i think ill start that grenade launcher! so it might be a while till i post again:poly121:
  • robomaniac
  • Dippndots
    this is looking good man, the grip needs to be flat from the sides and not rounded like in your 1st pic, but you've prolly noticed that from the billions of refs people have posted here lol
  • conceptman
    Offline / Send Message
    conceptman polycounter lvl 10
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Good to hear brother, doing a awesome job. The SCAR can take pretty big bullets in a modified M16 magazine, and it can also take a lot of other ones so thats something to decide.

modified m16 magazine?

there´s a 5.56mm and a 7.62mm scar.. you cant just put any bullet in some hack sawed mag and stuff it in the scar..

SCAR in 5.56 mm
    http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=184&backPID=182&productID=7&pid_product=232&pidList=182&categorySelector=1&detail=

SCAR in 7.62mm

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=184&backPID=182&productID=9&pid_product=232&pidList=182&categorySelector=1&detail=

since the 7.62mm is larger bullet, it requires a larger magazine, and a larger magwell with the scar..

scarscope1.jpg
    got the slight feeling you put the reddot just backwards :D
  • rares
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    awesome model, can you post a wireframe without smooth ?
  • ArYeS
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice model.. i just wanna say one thing... of all red-dot, holographic sights, acogs you found the worst looking one :D Well you modeled it good... but seriously... EOTECH would look like 100 times better on it :D

No offense, great modelling skills anyways
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, this guns getting a lot of interest. Thanks for links guys, im really using them up :). And yeah the handle I have tightened it up since, but it might need a bit more. As for wireframe shots...SOON! needs a bit of cleaning and thats pretty much my next step before i start making my low.

And as for the scope, dont worry I plan on doing a few more. holographic, a sniper scope for sure.

Heres my GL WIP if anyones interested.

scar5.jpg
    scar5q.jpg

still missing the part that wraps around the clip, and a few nick nacks. Ill get em in there :poly121:.

Updates soon! thanks guys
  • Rang3r1
    Hmm, that is not a MK16, but a MK17 SCAR. You made the 5.56 mag too wide to make it fit into the 7.62 lower you made. Looks great though none the less, and an EOTECH would look killer on there.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, so I saw small differences in the MK 16 and 17. And i made the 7.62x51mm, and the 5.56mm, I thought it would be as simple as making different clip and be done with it. what am i missing.

And what are the differences between a SCAR-H STD and a SCAR-H CQC? Just the barrel?

Man im so noob, once i think ive read enough and have a good handle on it, I find im missing so much more.

AND i will put an EOTECH on there. I promise.

Thanks man
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    OKAY! So ive read up a bit more and have a better understanding of this gun. now, heres a shot of 3 of them. GL attached, scope attached, and buttstock moved around and pushed in. Now i DID see the FN40GL-H on the 7.62x51mm mag. and its the same shape that fits on the other. now im going to clean up the mesh for the next little bit, and ill have wires posted later tonight.

scar6.jpg

OH and on a side note, when i was making the buttstock there was a large hole in it, and i was scratching my head as to what it was, but i made it non the less. and when i jsut rotated in i noticed it fits the side of the gun perfectly and that one piece(can someone tell me what its called) fit like a glove. SMOOOTH....hahaha anyways. back to work i go!

Thanks

(EDIT): I was going to model this
    http://www.lasersales.com/images/Eotech/XPS2-0.jpg

If i hear any suggestions im more than willing to step up to the plate!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    my crit is that your edges are way too tight and read noisy in distance, and if you pan to normal map it it will read even worse, it usually happens when we work zoomed in those edges and forget to check the item at far :D Looking good man :D
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Hey jonny, thanks for that tip. any areas in specific you think it needs fixing asap?
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Here are some wires. Gotta few touch ups to do, but im bypassing that boredome for a bit to do that XPS2. Yeah if you see some mistakes, please point em out, ill do them asap.

scarwire2.jpg
    scarwire1.jpg

more updates to come. :)
  • XenoKratios
    Offline / Send Message
    scar6.jpg

Looks yummy :P. I love the GL launcher great attachment, hoping to see more scopes for this beast.
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    And what are the differences between a SCAR-H STD and a SCAR-H CQC? Just the barrel?

see the manufacturer´s site ;)

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?id=182
  • gbencharski
    Hey Spahr,

Solid work - I like how you're making variations and different add-ons for the gun. Fantastic modeling. Cant wait to see more.

GB
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Gbencharski.

Heres the the new Eotech. I hope you guys like it. I made the edges a bit softer on these details like Jonny said. So hopefully it bakes out nice.

xps2.jpg

Im going to stop where I am and not create anymore attachments. I have my work cut out for me as it is. So im going to just start polishing it off. Play around with rendering and start on some lows.

Cheers!

(EDIT): BTW does that picture make it seem like everything is wobbly? My model everything is aligned and propper, but that picture is throwing me off lol. Anyhoo...
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    I just use maya text, take the outside edge and extrude it up, clean it up a bit. then i have the hollow text and i sub d and make the outside and inside edges soft so when you look at it straight on orthographic you can see how it bevels, that way when i bake the normals later it reads nice. And i just float it over the surface where i want it.

You can see it clearly on the side of the scope, i have 2 screws inside a hollow cut out, but i just float the geo around the screws.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Got a good chunk of my low done after taking a little break from this project. Id lie if I said it wasnt to play MW2. But, I sold the game for the better interest of my portfolio, so heres my low poly gun so far.

scarlowwire1.jpg

Well Ive been playing around, and I am going to bake 4 textures, 1 for gun 1024, 1 for grenade launcher 512, and 1 256 for each scope. I think im going to decal on the bolts and screws if they look too low res on the surfaces. and i dont want to model them in because it will get way too high poly. I want to get around 8-9k for the gun, 2-3 k for the GL, and 1kish for the scopes. Thats my goal at least.

Time to get back at it...Cheers!
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    So I have the UVs mostly done. and its 100% and a bit more down to a game count. The gun is just over 5k, lower than what i was aiming for. So Im going to model in some bevels edges to get some good normals baked out. The grenade launcher is 2400 polys, and the scopes are 800/1250 respectively. Im pretty happy about that, but there are a bunch of little things i have to fix in my models to get the normals to bake out nice. So maybe get the tweaks done tomorrow, i need a break after uving all these little pieces :S. lol. So here are some screen shots (high quality) of the low gun w/ normals. smile.gif (GL handle needs to be rebaked cuase i messed with that one edge :P)

scarnormalswire.jpg

scarnormals.jpg

Ill post some textures asap.

Cheers!
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    That is one sweet bake... :o
  • sneakymcfox
    yea those came out pretty much perfect by the looks of things
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Nah it wasnt as perfect as youd think. So many little bakes with trial and error. Took me longer to uv/get the bake right than to model the whole thing, high and low. lol

Thanks guys, really nice to hear its turning out :)
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    scar10.jpg
    scar11.jpg

Got the normals really close to being done for the low. Just need to clean up some bits in the texture. And with that, START THE TEXTURE! i was thinking of doing the traditional way the gun is done, but I think its kind of boring, dont you!? So I may as well try to do something with some style.

updates soon :) CHEERS!

Oh ya, and the polycount on all that stuff together is 8729 tris.
  • Stickmoose
  • sneakymcfox
    hey i was just wondering that is his is a SCAR MK-16 (SCAR-L) then why did you make a 20 round magazine for it. I'm pretty sure 20 round stanags aren't very common anymore with anyone other than marksmen.
    you may have got you refs mixed up with the mark 17 (SCAR-H).

sorry if that was a little to nit picky for you, if so just ignore this.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah it wasnt as perfect as youd think. So many little bakes with trial and error. Took me longer to uv/get the bake right than to model the whole thing, high and low. lol

Sounds familiar :p I'm hoping for the both of us experience will solve this issue over time.

But it looks very good, interesting shapes with that GL too. I'm really looking forward to seeing this completely finished and presented in realtime (consider using my shader for it ;))
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Some more updates. Started texturing everything(except scopes for now) and playing around with some stuff. Things like designs of camo, getting interesting spec effects. Really just looking at reference and reading up on some texture theory :). Heres my start...

scarrender1.jpg

And heres my base for the original textured SCAR.

scarrender2.jpg

Notes: GL/mag have just a base on them. and in the top image just a random blin. I find it much easier to work with the black than the yellow, things that work with the black just look strange with yellow. Yeah this is a real feeling out process, Trying to get this to look nice.

Cheers
  • Titus S
    That is looking really good :) Can't wait to see all the scratches and specs on that thing :)
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man, Thats my goal for today. hopefully I can get most of the texture done after a good work day!! This project is taking longer than projected lol. I guess when you want things to look good, it takes time, go figure eh. :P
  • Titus S
    Thanks man, Thats my goal for today. hopefully I can get most of the texture done after a good work day!! This project is taking longer than projected lol. I guess when you want things to look good, it takes time, go figure eh. :P

Definitely, but in my case I have to time limit myself so I stay on schedule xD
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Well when your looking for work like me, you can just go over original time limits whenever you want! :)
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    scar6q.jpg
    scar6.jpg

More updates soon!..i hope :)
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks great!
    wish the l4d one had a nade launcher :)
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Note that the scar´s parts have different tones, and not uniform.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0206.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0207.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2008/huge/DSCN0312.JPG

also, bear in mind that the upper receiver is metal.
    the lower receiver and stock are from nylon/plastic material.
  • duck
    Offline / Send Message
    duck polycounter lvl 10
    cleanness mesh! how do you find out the thickness, just good ref? always fidn that to be a ass-pain.
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    Made some tweaks and additions to the guns texture. And finished of the EOTECH scope. The scope has 512 on it, and is 1100 polys. Heres some quick renders.

render3copy.jpg
    render2copy.jpg
    render1copy.jpg

And as far as the thickness, yeah the numbers i was getting wernt matching up, so I just eyed it up. So I know this gun shouldnt be 100%. And Rumkugel, I kind of stuck to the same metal overall due to looks, I had this discussion with a few people now, the conclusions is most think the plastic looks ugly :P and flimsy. But thanks for keeping an eye out :D

Cheers!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Your plastic doesn't convince yet, yeah.
    Your base diffuse color is too yellowish, needs to be a tad warmer and more brown/beige. Also, the color and material variation Rumkugel posted is going to make it tons more interesting; make that spec and gloss vary!
    I'd also drop the cloudiness/grunge you have going in your diff and spec a lot, make it way more subtle.
    Also, do you have AO? I can barely tell...

Also: viewport grabs is where it's at, man, not renders ;)
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Excellent work!
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    To bad you didnt use the color variations ive posted.
    Isnt too hard to change it yet.

I go with what Xoliul said.

Also add some noise to the specmap for the upper received to get that same look as on the real steal.

Eotech lenses arent red btw ;) they´re clear.