Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(Unity) - Fantasy Dock

spahr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
spahr polycounter lvl 8
Like many folks on here, I love the work of one, Artyom Vlaskin, and thought his Pirate concepts would be a great guide for a scene. My goal with this environment is to show off some environment, painterly and Zbrush skills I have that my portfolio isn't representing.

My second goal is to make a Unity tutorial lesson on world building. I have been using unity for roughly 3 years now where I have released a few titles on. For these projects I was leading the way for the environments, and right now, I think there is a lack of Unity tutorials, especially considering how popular it is, and growing.

If I were to make a tutorial series I would really just mirror most tutorials you see on the market right now for UDK or Cryengine. And show Unity tips and tricks, cover the basics, but most importantly, how to get a working build running real time on your site. This is something I would love to see more of. So I would gear it towards students, or juniors who know a an existing engine and just want to know how Unity differs.

But first, I need art, to provide a nice backdrop for showcasing function. I have been busy the past couple days planing out stuff, grey blocking, and sculpting some base seamless textures. And here are the pics of my progress thus far.

As for the layout and composition, I decided to take two of his concepts and pretend they are opposite each other with a harbor in between.

conceptz.jpg

Here is a quick start to my grey block inside Unity. everything here is pretty much throw away, or will be cut out and altered greatly. The idea is to build a very modular style world, so the asset count should be very low.

greyblock3.jpg
greyblock2.jpg
greyblock1.jpg

Next shot is me playing around with some materials, tree editor, water shader(pro), skybox, and a few other things. Really just trying to figure out what I can shed some light on for Unity beginners while also tweaking shaders and what not.

materials3.jpg

and i guess here are some maya screens of material stuff too.

materials1.jpg

So hopefully I can this done asap. And Ill have a nice pretty, clean, efficient and optimized environment that I can breakdown and showcase how to assemble it within Unity and get a working build ready for a folio.

But for now, you can help me with the art!

Replies