Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Road to the Academy of Art Spring Show - Tim Woody

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Toxic929 polycounter lvl 8
So I'm starting this thread to show my path of progression to making a piece for my schools spring show. Which eventually should my piece be good enough, would help me land a job. The type of job I'm trying to land would either be in movies or games, I'm pretty open minded there. However I'm going to lean my piece more towards game work. Being that I'll have a high rez mesh and bake it into a realtime one. that covers both game modeling and high resolution modeling

I can either choose a pre done concept and model that or make a concept of my own but it would be a character concept. Although picking a concept to model would be easier I'm thinking of drawing out my own. I'm leaning towards doing something that would fit in with the cinematics of Blizzard so I'm choosing to do a demon hunter (yes I know they are already doing this for Diablo III I love that game series!) I have some loose sketches I've done that I will post.

Over the course of the project the idea of what I want to do might change. I will have questions and would definitely enjoy suggestions and viewers pitching in. I will need all the help I can get!

Heres one of the concept sketches I was working on. I want the design to fringe on religious iconography, crosses and such. however half has to be something relating to demons. I kind of want to him to feel a touch more on the demon side as if for camoflauge or trophies, not quite sure yet. His armor is leather with metal here and there. I'm also playing around with some sort of duster jacket. Putting a duster Jacket over everything feels too played out though.

demonhunterconcept_by_toxic929-d4lsfv7.jpg

Replies

• Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using the base mesh I've been constantly modifying over the years. crits very much welcome.

demonhunterbasemesh01_by_toxic929-d4lssfv.jpg
  • KyleHickey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleHickey polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Toxic.

Before you begin modeling from your concept I suggest making a much more detailed version. The armor that you have showing here is very complicated and trying to model something like that without good reference can cost you a lot of time.

Your base mesh has good topology, however you have a great deal of polys in the arms and on the crack of the butt, you could probably remove or relocate these polys.

Looking forward to your progress.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the reply PolyZombie! I shall definitely move around those polys and make them more evenly spaced. the arm ones will probably be the trickiest as I'll have to find a way to remove not only loops but the spans as well. I'll figure out some I can get rid of though.

With this model I'm sorta multi tasking. I'm trying to lay out a good base but before I start in on the armor I'm drawing out some concepts which I will get around to posting and looking up more leather armor reference. I may find myself concepting some armor ideas in zbrush as well but I'll see.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with the silhoutte method of character design. Drew a few and these are the opnes I liked best so far. Will go into more depth with these.

demon_hunter_brainstorming_by_toxic929-d4lwfbv.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    at least in the concept he seems prepared if he was to have a flat tire!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rhinokey ha yeha kinda does look like a tire iron! got any critters under the hood he'll slay it and then change out your oil

hmm I'm trying to figure just what type of spaulders hes going to have. none of these SUPER stick out but lemme know what you guys think. This excercise did sort of clear up how I might want to attach the spaulders

demon_hunter_spaulders_01_by_toxic929-d4lzovk.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kinda diggin the left one n #15 but it still feels over the top

demon_hunter_spaulders_02_by_toxic929-d4m011g.jpg
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    AAU student here as well, good luck with the Spring Show! :)

I'm liking #2 the most. I'm a sucker for layered armor, and the skull is going to be a nice focal point. Even if it is Blizzard inspired I urge you to not go for the massive shoulder pads and gauntlets direction, it is starting to turn into a bad design trend imo. Your design is looking pretty good so far though, but I'd like to see some more love put into the chestpiece and the pants are looking kinda plain right now.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Fingus: Thank you! I believe I seen you on game stepper! I shall play around with variations of 2 thanks! I thought about the massive shoulder pads but it just doesnt work. As for gauntlets, that he wont have. He'll have more arm band type of things. Thats better yah? haha I'm going to take steps to figure out the chest piece for sure and see just what type of layering I want. But Im pretty sure I want it to be a leather vest type of design. Pants I'll have to do some research on.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    narrowing it down more. Any favorites or suggestions? demon_hunter_spaulders_03_by_toxic929-d4m6qq6.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My friend Evan had done some thumbnailing for me and I very much like his direction! demon_hunter_spaulders_04_by_toxic929-d4mej1r.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two more. I kind of like where its going. Key thing is he has to be agile looking and the Pauldrons kind of look a bit bulky, not sure if I shall change it yet. I definitely like where the leather chest piece is going on the second one.

demon_hunter_costume_design01_by_toxic929-d4mn507.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    damn nice preproduction! I like where this is going, i love them boots..shoes?..lol and those shoulder pads kick ass!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jungsik Thank you! yeha I've kept the boots because I like where those are at glad you like them too! My friend did an awesome job helping me out with those pauldrons!

Two more with the last two. I wanted to steer away from the assassins creed look. My friend advised me to get rid of the hand blade. probably a wise choice.

demon_hunter_costume_design02_by_toxic929-d4mqjgc.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I'm liking no 2 the most but with the arm armor of 3 and the legs of 4. Also the sleeves of 4.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Well rather than a hand blade, try a katar maybe? Similar usage, very different construction, and since its a carried weapon you have more freedom with its proportions and design.
    Also good luck on getting in to blizzard. An old forumite, Soul, went there from AAC and hasn't been heard of since.

Also good luck with the show. :) I went to AAC 11 years ago. Hopefully their 3d dept has improved a bit in the past decade.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you marq4porsche and Vailias! I'm going to try out some of your suggestions. I was looking up Katar and they can be pretty intricate which is nice. just wondering how much theyll stick out.

demon_hunter_costume_design03_by_toxic929-d4mr05c.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was looking at my base mesh and its kinda.... UNDYNAMIC! so I gotta try n revamp this thing. Help me out and tell me where I can improve his forms.

demon_hunter_body_mesh_by_toxic929-d4mr2uv.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more work on the basemesh. Trying to pass him off as someone in their early to mid 20s.

demon_hunter_body_mesh_02_by_toxic929-d4mzvit.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the basemesh for the lil bags in the front.
    demon_hunter_bag_01_by_toxic929-d4p8awz.jpg
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Tim, I think I had some Zbrush classes with you at AAU...maybe with Ping. Your name is familiar.

Anyway did a few adjustments for your head basemesh...

Tweaks.jpg

Couple guys who are some good reference...

Maxence Fleuret

Dmitry Parkin

Looks like most of the body will be covered, so just getting the proportions down and not worrying too much about the muscle anatomy should be fine, I'd definitely push the hands and focus a good amount of attention on the head. The head is generally going to draw a lot of focus. Keep it up!

-Oliver
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Oliver I believe I do recall being in Pings class with you! what have you been up to? Thanks a ton for the feedback! I'm def guna fix the feet and hands even though the feet wont be seen. Those are solid references too. I feel liek I'm going to have to give the head alot of character which I'm sure on how to approach just yet either...
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the basemesh and large design still
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres where I'm at with the armor. I took the old mesh for the spaulder sculpted a super rough skull then used maya live to place the verts accordingly over the sculpt and make a new mesh with better topology.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Nice progress so far. It's a good start. I like the idea, but I think you may need to sit down and really define your character before going any further. If your aiming for blizzard quality it's key to really tell a story with the visual elements of your character.

I see "a person in an armor suit" when I look at your concepts and model. When I look at thychus findley I instantly see a hardened criminal who's been in a lot of tough spots and narrow escapes.

It's important to define a bit of your back story before you get too far into modeling.
    Everything will come into play in the end character. People wear far more on their faces and body language/type than we often realize.

Even something as simple as the kind of environment he grew up in would determine the materials his armor is made out of and what kind of weapons he has access to.

I'd also suggest make another pass on the facial anatomy. I did a quick paintover of the forms that are missing. There should be a valley in between the eye and the cheek bone where the soft tissue is. Since he's a demon hunter I'd try making him a bit slimmer to give the idea of agility in keeping with the class.

I like the armor designs on the lower arms and hands the most so far. I'd run with that and make it the theme throughout the armor.

paintover-2.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you sir make a super valid point. I'm not going to look through more of the cinematics. I was kinda worried about this not having enough character to itself. I was wondering if even a t-pose should give away some character being that eventually he will be posed into something.

I left alot of forms in his face soft to possibly show that hes younger? somewhere in his early to mid 20s. However I will look at more reference and should be able to find those forms still. Thank you again! I will pay closer attention to these details. Now back to the drawing board to work on facial details!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well changed around his face a bit. Added more character. I'm still uncertain of hair/head elements but instead of a melancholy character hes now more arrogant. I kind of want to channel Balthier from Final Fantasy 12 except with less experience under his belt.

Do pester me artquest if I've still missed one of the elements you were speaking of in facial anatomy.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toxic929 wrote: »
    you sir make a super valid point. I'm not going to look through more of the cinematics. I was kinda worried about this not having enough character to itself. I was wondering if even a t-pose should give away some character being that eventually he will be posed into something.

I left alot of forms in his face soft to possibly show that hes younger? somewhere in his early to mid 20s. However I will look at more reference and should be able to find those forms still. Thank you again! I will pay closer attention to these details. Now back to the drawing board to work on facial details!

A young face isn't exactly a soft face. The skin is soft and there is often more soft tissue, but it's important to remember that the same bones and muscles reside under that softer skin. Your character's face will come together almost own it's own once you place the forms in the correct places. Once you have them it's easier to edit them to get the look you are after. Go ahead and sculpt the muscles and bones into your face model using this as your reference. Then you can hit up the smooth brush to make it look like skin later.

For a demon hunter, I'd probably go with some strong features on the face but give him less wrinkles and pore detail to make him look younger. Remember, everything in Diablo is about being heroic. Better give him heroic features to match!

The scar across his face is a bit cliche. So imagine during his first hunt a demon gouges out his eye. So when he finally makes the kill he takes that eye for his own. So he has a sweet looking eye and a faded, more subtle scar. Or maybe we don't even see any of that and he has an eye patch to hide it all.

Just some ideas :D
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried following that and also the freedom of teach figure to help mass in the appropriate forms. which it looks better but I'll still have to go back in and define a character in there.

I do like the idea of some sort of facial scars but perhaps those are a bit much and a little cliche. I'm for sure going to play around with him having a demon eye I think that would make an awesome push to his character.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on that face.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and heres a quick render
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with different eyes and so far I like the way this look is going.. also sketched out hair so might do this hair style
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wristband work

demon_hunter___wristband_work_by_toxic929-d4tpleg.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added hair which I will either texture or use the curves to generate hair curves. Which I havent figured out how to do in modo or if thats possible :\

demon_hunter___hair_01_by_toxic929-d4u2c3m.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres where I'm at.. its been called to my attention that using actrualy religious symbols draws too much attention and speculation to his character so back to the drawing board with his designs. also working on a demon head automatic crossbow :D
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept and WIP of the crossbow. Found out its to be turned in before Midnight of April 29th.. yeesh!
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Due dates coming really fast feel free to critique as always. This is going to be his pose and texture. In his left hand will be the rapier while he'll be reaching over for his cross bow.

demon_hunter___pose_and_texture_by_toxic929-d4xt4fc.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the hair.. I'm not feeling too awesome with how it is.. I should have used hair systems but with time I have left I have to stick with this... one thing I dont like about hair systems is they arent transferrable.. Universal hair systems would be pretty nice.... I know you can export hair curves from Zbrush buuutttt working with hair in zbrush seems like a pain... anyways here it is.. as always feel free to call me on anything that seems off or can be improved upon.. I can use all teh help possible haha biggrin2.gif
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well one day and alot more modeling and 'texturing' to do.. well more like shading probably... I'm def looking at this as a sort of mock up for what I want the final portfolio model to be though...

demon_hunter___1_more_day_till_submission_by_toxic929-d4xxk92.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I know what it's like to be rushing for a deadline! I did that a lot in my college days too. :D (and some now too when people want things done in an unreasonably short amount of time :P)

My advice at this point is to A) try not to stress. B) don't sleep till you turn it in. and C) Stop everything, stare at a render for about 30 seconds, find the 3 biggest things that need to be fixed and then make a list of the things you need to do to accomplish those things.

Also, If you're working in maya feel free to send me your scene and I can take a look at the render settings if you like. Rendering will eat up your time like nothing else so I'd be willing to give you some points to speed that part of the process up so you can focus on the modeling/texturing.
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rushing succkkss haha 3 months is not enough to get a character done.. least not when you are developing a concept... Thank you for the feedback. I'm def trying not to stress.. stress plus lack of sleep leads to me getting sick for sure haha also why I try n get a liill sleep in... if I have to I just sleep at my desk... I still have quite a bit of quick modeling to add to this piece before I can get to the comparison phase... but for one I def gotta fix what looks like hes cock-eyed?

Thank you a ton for offering to look at my scene... you dont perhaps use modo tho do you? haha I find that modo has such good amazing results with easier to understand sliders and switches. Modo is also reeallyy fast at rendering however I probably dont have metal ray configured to its finest either.

Thank you again though you are a huge help to this project
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohhh one being that you cant see the post if you arent logged in... and also thumbnails probably arent the best representation? Thanks for the heads up!

Re-edited my last post to actually display the image
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need to step back and look at it more....

demon_hunter___24_hours_till_submission_____by_toxic929-d4y15dm.jpg
  • Dnna1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the texture paintings. They are

very beautiful, very perfect.www.cleaningcassette.com
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Dnna1 ! well heres the final result I'm turning in... prolly post the turn table tomorrow or iono soon... but feel free as always to leave me feedback.. I need to go back to this project for my portfolio so I can get a job haha

demon_hunter___spring_show_final_by_toxic929-d4y1pf0.jpg
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also I'm not quite sure on how to present this thing.. I tried doing the invisible floor thing where you just see the mirror reflection but being that modo is a physical renderer it reflected light up into the model making the shading completely flat... I was wondering if anyone had any tips on turntable presentations. I'm going to start with a close still, fade to a turntable shaded, then turntable matte shader, then wireframe then possibly a vertical close panning detail turn of the shaded again.... but I'm not sure if theres any dos or donts with that or what.. anyone got suggestions?
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry too much about final presentation at this point. When you get back into this for your portfolio you'll want to take it back to the modeling pose and go from there. Worry about how it looks as a clay render first. You should be able to tell the materials apart even when it looks like a solid statue. Texturing/lighting will come later. Focus on one thing at a time.

The armor looks a lot closer to metal now! So that's good. But it doesn't look like the kind of metal that would be crafted by someone in that time period. To fix that you may want to consider adding some rivets so it looks pieced together. Also, perfect reference for ya that recently was released :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSSou1IDG-k"]Diablo III - Barbarian Armor Preview - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXL9oRDU-Uw&feature=relmfu"]Diablo III - Demon Hunter Armor Preview - YouTube[/ame]
  • Toxic929
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah thats awesome reference! thank you a ton! I cannot thank you enough for the feedback. For now I'm taking a break on this model to finish up school, graduation in less than a month! I'm freaking out :\ but I'm going to come back and model detail passes instead of using modo to fill in some surface details with textures... also I posted the turntable that I have turned in on Youtube - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLIhFU6RD-k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLIhFU6RD-k[/ame] I was wondering if perhaps the composition of the turntable could be better and how.