Home General Discussion

Call of Duty: Ghosts

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
CordellC polycounter lvl 11
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQEbPn36m1c"]Call of Duty: Ghosts Masked Warriors Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
"Everyone was expecting us to make Modern Warfare 4, which would have been the safe thing to do," Mark Rubin, the studio's executive producer, said in a statement. "We saw the console transition as the perfect opportunity to start a new chapter for Call of Duty. So we're building a new sub-brand, a new engine, and a lot of new ideas and experiences for our players."

Going to be shown at the next-gen Xbox reveal on May 21.

Replies

• nick2730
    YAY another COD ..... wash rinse repeat every year. I can't believe people still buy this
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    inb4 angry mob of "CoD sucks it's always the same game praise battlefield our loving father of modern fps"

I used to hate on CoD, but people just need to realize that's how the world works now. With every year comes a new model/sequel. This applies to movies, games, televisions, smartphones, laptops, hard drives, whatever. You name it.

Look how many times they've renewed Mario...despite the story being "save the princess from the evil dragon." I've never played CoD, but I have a feeling the story is much more complex than a lot of our favorite games.

Just treat it like a sports game that gets released every year...

(Playing devils advocate by the way. I don't actually like CoD and prefer Battlefield, but I think they are both aimed at different demographics)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Not a frame of in-game? FFS.
  • GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I find that the Infinity Ward Call of Duty games tend to be a lot deeper. I mean the Modern Warfare series had a pretty cool story that I was really excited to see evolve, change and finally end. I'm glad they're not making MW4, but moving onto a new story and new characters.

I don't mind that the gameplay tends to be the same, because how can you really deviate on "Action War Game" but it's the scenarios that they put you into that really makes the game shine, at least I think so!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    nick2730 wrote: »
    YAY another COD ..... wash rinse repeat every year. I can't believe people still buy this

Ok taking off my employee hat and my moderator hat for this one.

So people shouldn't buy a game they enjoy playing? Year after year because?

So the game should change drastically because?

This is a trend that happens on Kotaku with comments like these. It happens in Halo threads, COD threads, and others. Why?

If you don't enjoy something or don't even understand it why look like a douche? I know nothing about this game as I don't work on it but I don't understand why hate on it if you don't even intend on playing it? Is your life that fucking shitty that you have to hate on other things to brighten your day and make yourself feel good?

"Oh look a new trailer for a game I'll never play, let me say some stupid shit and look cool for internet points. YAY!!!!"

I can name a ton of games I don't like for various reasons that I would never intend on playing but I don't go trolling the threads or internet for no good reason to say things about them and why they suck. Who cares.

People enjoy COD just like they enjoy Halo or Madden or Fifa. COD isn't done by the same studio year after year. It is on an alternating schedule and if you have played them then you would know they aren't the same thing. Are they shooting games. Yeah that is pretty obvious but some things do change.

So perhaps instead of acting like a complete ass. Try to be a bit constructive or put that time wasted on your internet hate to a much better use and work on your portfolio.

Have a great day.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    It'll be interesting to see where they take this on the Next-Gen Platforms. I am actually interested in seeing the reveal.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Isn't this Black Ops III with a fancy new title? Black ops, ghost soldiers, same thing. I'm trying to figure out where they are going with a sub-brand? Without gameplay, I'll hold my judgement but given since I haven't bought a COD title since MW2, I don't think I'll buy this one either. Though they are finally moving on from the engine they have beat to death over the last many years, so maybe a renewed interest my arise once more info comes out.

Perhaps the new characters are Dr. Venkman, Dr. Spengler, Dr. Stantz, and Winston?
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    Great news, rest assured that i will buy this one day 1. BOPS2 got me busy all winter, great fun lots of good memory, hats off Treyarch, loved every inch of it. :P

comments on the video: Is this just me or the first portion of the vid displays real human where as the end is cg generated characters ?

I could swear there is a little but very little difference in the skin shader, just saying.
  • wasker
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I probably wont play this, CoD just isn't my cup o tea, but I'm really excited to see what they can pull off visually with their new engine on a nextgen console. 21st of May cant come fast enough :)
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Based on the name, this trailer and the way they talked about how they are not just doing Modern Warfare 4 I think this game could be a game fully based around the Chernobyl level from Modern Warfare. Aka the best Call of Duty level ever made.
  • Mark Dygert
    Not much info, yet. I guess we will have to wait until the 21st. I wonder if the pic of the French Soldier in Mali that went viral a few months ago was any kind of inspiration?

130122-mali-scarf-5p.photoblog900.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The trailer was interesting until they cut to the typical modern soldiers at the end :\
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I wish CoD would go back to WWII. :(
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Great news, rest assured that i will buy this one day 1. BOPS2 got me busy all winter, great fun lots of good memory, hats off Treyarch, loved every inch of it. :P

comments on the video: Is this just me or the first portion of the vid displays real human where as the end is cg generated characters ?

I could swear there is a little but very little difference in the skin shader, just saying.

It's a live action trailer........

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/call-of-duty-ghosts-officially-revealed?abthid=518149dca121ab926e000006
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Autocon wrote: »
    Based on the name, this trailer and the way they talked about how they are not just doing Modern Warfare 4 I think this game could be a game fully based around the Chernobyl level from Modern Warfare. Aka the best Call of Duty level ever made.

So... S.T.A.L.K.E.R, without the personal been-there-lived-it touch of people who have actually lived in former Soviet republics?
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Not ragging on the game, but I thought this was a funny quote by Jason Rubin.
    “Everyone was expecting us to make Modern Warfare 4, which would have been the safe thing to do," said Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin, "but we're not resting on our laurels. We saw the console transition as the perfect opportunity to start a new chapter for Call of Duty. So we're building a new sub-brand, a new engine, and a lot of new ideas and experiences for our players. We can't wait to share them with our community."

Isn't every Call of Duty game the safe thing to do?
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Call Of Duty: Chicken Warfare
    Bucawk.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    When the SP isn't on rails and the MP isn't full of 12 year olds screaming more swear words than a drunken sailor because you used the "noob tube", I'll consider giving CoD another chance. No graphical or technological improvement is going to improve the game, the game itself has to improve.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    @VelvetElvis hhmm your right, i get it now, i was riveted to my seat when the guy pops out a flare this looked like cg. My mistake.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Probably day 1 for me, love Call of Duty.
  • nick2730
    @ jesse - People can buy whatever they want which is why its been such a successful franchise because there has been no change, no risk in any COD game for the past 3-4 years.

There is nothing wrong with buying what you like BUT if gamers keep throwing money at devs who do nothing different eventually we are going to only be left with COD 46 ,Battlefield 12, and Halo 10 and games that have no innovation. To me COD got boring after COD Modern Warefare, its just be reusing the same things and became a cash cow.

I mean how many COD have used unreal 3 ? they didn't even bother to advance anything and most of the games share many of the same assets.

I fear that developers will simply do this to make a quick buck like the COD series has become as oppose to actually creating new IP's and pushing the industry further. I think that's why the industry is in trouble sometimes.

It has nothing to do with the work, just the direction
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh there have been no COD games to use Unreal 3. There is a solid engine that pushes 60 fps already available that has been added on, fine tuned, polished and pushed as far as it can go. The games look good, play smooth and are a good fun experience. Sure they aren't for everyone and I don't think every game is for every one. I don't play most rpgs because I don't enjoy a lot of them but that doesn't mean they aren't good games.

Hell I bought Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 and have yet to play more than 3 hours of the first one but I bought them just to support the devs and because I think they look nice. Lol I guess I'm crazy.

As for sharing assets there are a lot of games that do that and to be honest there isn't a LOT of sharing going on. I can't say much as it's a work confidentiality thing and really doesn't add much to the topic but ya....

COD isn't holding the industry back. There are many other game companies out there that make solid games all the time. Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Battlefield 3, etc. Just because a new COD comes out it doesn't mean that other studios just up and stop making the games they make. If some publisher tells a studio to make it more COD then that is on them not the developer right?

As for the game. I'm excited to see what IW has done. The new engine and what they can push and the new storyline.
  • GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Something I'm actually really suprised about is that people are missing that this isn't a Black Ops release, Black Ops is released by Treyarch, which is where Jesse is from.

Infinity Ward are the people who do the Modern Warfare games. They VERY different games.

Black Ops is a lot more like an action movie, very fast passed, and is well known for it's crazy multiplayer game modes like Nuke Town and Zombies.

MW is a bit more like a war movie, with scenarios that are fairly realistic.

They're both fantastic games that are well done.

Also @ Jesse: kobe-bryant-10.gif
  • nick2730
    sorry id tech 3 engine,
    i respect your opinion, and I do agree i have bought mass effect as well and love it your not crazy. But mass effect is different its a trilogy telling a story over 3 games.

Guess for me i feel COD is different cause there are 7-8 if you count the psp game and the frequency is increasing. Like you said they rotate dev's so they can release almost every year Squeals happen i just I'm just tired of them but to each their own
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    The frequency is not increasing. It's been a yearly release since CoD 2.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to bash any related COD game, im more of a starcraft expatriate, took the time to think about it, and tried COD:MW3 with an open spirit, learned the rules and had a great time with it. Bought BOPS2 and pushed myself to be better everyday until i was lucid in the game, remember all dead angle and bend the game to my will in multiplayer.

That's how you do it
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Can we at least try and not let things get completely retarded by arguing about engines? That's what gamers do on consumer websites, I'd expect Polycount to be above that...
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Can we at least try and not let things get completely retarded by arguing about engines? That's what gamers do on consumer websites, I'd expect Polycount to be above that...

Agreed.
  • nick2730
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I stopped buying Call of duty after MW3, it was all the same, same graphics, same assets reused, same all.

The tittle of this annual game looks like Call of Duty: Ghost Recon... too lame for me. I hope to see a good game this time and not something "refurbished". Sorry.
  • MeshModeler
  • lurked
    Offline / Send Message
    lurked polycounter lvl 10
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I stopped buying Call of duty after MW3, it was all the same, same graphics, same assets reused, same all.

The tittle of this annual game looks like Call of Duty: Ghost Recon... too lame for me. I hope to see a good game this time and not something "refurbished". Sorry.

This guy obviously disagrees with Xoliul
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I have to wonder if Ubisoft has any grounds for (or interest in) legal action here. Ya know, with the whole ripping of Ghost Recon. Even the promo is akin to the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier promo masks. Hell, they're even calling them "Ghosts". I dunno... seems a bit shady.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Not ragging on the game, but I thought this was a funny quote by Jason Rubin. Isn't every Call of Duty game the safe thing to do?

I thought it somewhat hilarious. 'Modern Warfare 4 would be the safe thing... so we changed the name!'
  • Pedro Amorim
    I for one I'm excited about this title :)
    Love COD!
    Love shooters!
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    An origin story for one of Co's most known characters, Ghost, sounds perfect.
  • Rayph
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Yea I have to say I am not thrilled to come on polycount and see the outright rancid hate that is poured on with some game announcements/releases/threads....

With that said I am looking forward to what next gen COD is going to be like, 60fps console multiplayer shooting at its finest.

...although even more excited for 'next gen cod-zombies' make it happen Jesse!
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Rayph wrote: »
    Yea I have to say I am not thrilled to come on polycount and see the outright rancid hate that is poured on with some game announcements/releases/threads....

With that said I am looking forward to what next gen COD is going to be like, 60fps console multiplayer shooting at its finest.

...although even more excited for 'next gen cod-zombies' make it happen Jesse!

CoD got old and repetitive as a fps on console, and the kind of common players you find in MP (read: utter asswipe bitchy kids who aren't even old enough to be buying the game) really turned me off to the series. The gameplay got so 'cinematic' and disconnected that I've just watched people play everything after the first MW on youtube and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. Pretty lights and shiny surfaces do not a good game make, though that does seem to be what wows over the masses, so it's what continues to be released by companies like Activision.
  • wasker
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
  • gsokol
    Awww yeaaah.

Provided the game comes out at launch (or close to it) of next gen consoles...it will be a great, familiar game to have as an early adopter.

I'm curious what the new subtitle will mean and what kind of changes there may be to the COD formula.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    just gonna toss this out there.. why does no one bitch and moan about car companies releasing the same cars year after year? i got a car in 2008 from mazda. got the same one again in 2011.. same car. its new. its fresh. doesnt have to change. its what people like. cod = fun to play. end of story.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    Not a frame of in-game? FFS.

BE SURE TO PRE-ORDER THOUGH!
    HERE'S A LINK FOR THAT!

p.s. pre-order the game
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't even dislike COD, I rather enjoy it, despite preferring BF. But I just found that ridiculous.

I guess the same thing was done with the BF4 7 second spots, but if it's a full blown thing with no footage...
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Oniram wrote: »
    why does no one bitch and moan about car companies releasing the same cars year after year?

People don't buy a new car every year :p

I dislike where Call of Duty went - Modern Warfare was a great game, but every title after that seems to be a substandard knock-off built for the ADD afflicted. I don't hate on it with any real vehemence, but I do hate the culture of drones who flock to it for no reason other than that it's got 'Call of Duty' printed on the box. What's with that?

Modern Warfare was six iterations of the game ago - the franchise really needs to start reinventing itself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Blaizer wrote: »

The title of this annual game looks like Call of Duty: Ghost Recon... too lame for me. I hope to see a good game this time and not something "refurbished". Sorry.
    ambershee wrote: »

I dislike where Call of Duty went - Modern Warfare was a great game, but every title after that seems to be a substandard knock-off built for the ADD afflicted. I don't hate on it with any real vehemence, but I do hate the culture of drones who flock to it for no reason other than that it's got 'Call of Duty' printed on the box. What's with that?

Modern Warfare was six iterations of the game ago - the franchise really needs to start reinventing itself.

In some ways games are a lot like new cars, true people buy new cars less often (maybe every 5-7 years) but they stick to brands for the same reason. Some don't change that much from year to year and when manufacturers do make drastic sweeping changes it will be under another title maybe even under a sister corporation.

You're not going to see Toyota totally remake the Camry into Homer Simpsons wet dream because all of the people who buy camrys don't want that.

They want a slightly updated version of what they already know and trust. Of course they want a digital port instead of an 8 track, maybe power steering and AC and more importantly an engine that is ready to put on some new miles. They want the new car smell without the old car problems. With games there is often a point that it ends and you want more "awe man its over... bummer" you want a new chapter not an entirely different experience.

Also a lot of the time its the super stable brands that bring in the most money that make it possible for the other stuff to be made. So at that point hating on something that pays the bills for something you like, is completely counter productive to what you want to see happen.

If you're a new ferrari every week kind of guy great, enjoy your cars. Just don't be a douche to the people who buy other brands. It might just be their purchases that make it possible for people to create the content you prefer.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't people moan around when COD4 (which ended being modern warfare) was soon to be announced about the over influx of WWII games? There was a lot of ohh come on man, not another WWII game where we land on D-Day and some guy barfs in the landing craft.

I think that is a lot of the same now. There is way too much of an influx of modern times, spec ops based shooters. A few years back, WWII was the sure thing, now it's modern spec ops. Whatever Ghosts is going to put in the game, I'm pretty sure it's been done before. It's the South Park "Simpsons Did It" episode all over again. Then again, maybe not. Maybe Ghosts will be so different we won't compare it to Modern Warfare and Black Ops. Right now I'm just speculating on what they have done in the past with the last several releases.

All I'm saying is they are going to have to put some wowzers in my trousers to get me to shell out 60 bucks this time.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »

BUT they could. Reason people don't is the price point. 20-30k every year is a tad different than 60 bucks.

Right?

A lot of people say they don't understand why people buy it year after year. Well because they enjoy it. Same reason why people buy Madden, or Mario, or continue to play WOW despite having to pay a monthly subscription. Same reason why people will buy albums from the same musician or clothes from a certain company. They like them. They enjoy them. They don't have to justify it to anyone why.

No one asks people to justify your (as in anyone elses) purchase of every Angry Birds iteration. Does it change? Sure they add and tweak a few things but isn't it just a reskin?

Does that make each version release any less fun? No. Perhaps you don't enjoy it as much as you used to. Hey that happens. That can happen with anything and not just video games.

I've been guilty of it too in the past of hating on certain games. In the end what was the point?

I also hear people complain about the kids they play with and the screaming and nonsense. It's the internet. Been like this for a LONG time and it isn't going to stop. That isn't CODs fault, or Activisions is it? It isn't Halos fault if I go on there get headshot and then tea bagged is it? I play Madden online and I'll tell ya what, by far some of the worst people I have ever played with. Sure there are a few gems but holy shit and most of those guys are adults.

Mute em. Play with your friends and stay in a private voice party. Boom problem solved. Kids screaming is never heard.

If it isn't your thing that is fine but saying something hasn't changed since title blah blah and then you admit you haven't even played one since title blah blah is pretty silly, no? How could you know? Watching a video on the net? Sure I guess but that isn't the same as playing it.

Either way I was hoping this thread wasn't going to turn into this crap as it does every year. Polycount members should be a bit more mature I would like to think and that doesn't just go for this thread, but all threads right?

I am really excited to see what Infinity Ward is doing with the new tech, I can't wait to see the reveal at Microsofts event and if it is a day 1 launch title on the new consoles then I don't see how that is a bad thing. Usually launch titles are crap and to have a title as big as a COD or a Halo or something from Naughty Dog is a huge thing and should always be welcomed by those of us that frequent this forum. We are after all here because we enjoy video games, work on them and want to see others become successful and do well with their jobs and enjoy what they make right?
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    BUT they could. Reason people don't is the price point. 20-30k every year is a tad different than 60 bucks.

Right?

Yes; surely there's a better analogy people? :P
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Shame really, as Cod4 was and still is the best Call of duty to date.

That could be because there is still a pc community, competition comunity and foremost a modding/mapping community that keep it alive and kicking compared to any other CoD game out there.

Also don't get the haters who auto-hate the game before it is even revealed, sure I get you don't like the genre/activision/cod in general but just move on.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward to seeing a new version of the engine. They've been pushing the boundary of cod radiant for a few years, so be cool to see what the next version is like.

I will probably buy it on a steam sale :)