Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2012 Environment Art DemoReel

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Hello all!

Just finished up my Reel for school and thought I'd shoot it up here for the heck of it and get some thoughts.

I'll be fully graduated from FullSail University this upcoming Friday and looking to bust onto the scene and possibly find some work soon! And even if not soon, super excited to tackle some big sid projects in the coming months!

(Oh and just to throw this out there, Crits are welcomed but I'm not sure if they will be addressed only because I'm ready to move onto bigger and better projects in the coming months and not really focus on my old stuff.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bF0LcuPFos&list=UU3kYttIIlpLkF1DV1D22D5A&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bF0LcuPFos&list=UU3kYttIIlpLkF1DV1D22D5A&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Thanks for checking me out, as always!
Happy arts!

-rad

Replies

• Amadreaus
    Hey Rad - Grats on graduation! Welcome to the suck >:)

The portfolio scope is decent for a student. You have the content quantity here, it's just like you said - onto better projects.

The main thing I'd focus on and think about is how to make things look current gen. Deriving normals from high poly, cube maps in your shaders, good spec, good lighting, a solid mix of small and large details, color and tonal variation; all these things add up.

If you're shaky on some of these skills (cuz art schools are a scam, for the most part), then doing 1-off props alongside tutorials can quickly get you up to speed.
  • Oliver_Farrell
    Well done man! Hoping to get a nice show real together like this soon. I love the final environment! Really atmospheric, I want to achieve that aswell!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    @Amadreaus: Stellar advice! Normals from high-poly, good spec, and good lighting are all HUGE priorities for me! Small and large details, color and tonal variation also really important to me as an artist. I'm incredibly excited to use all these methods and more in future projects. Thanks much for the advice.

@Oliver_Farrell: Thanks for the kind words! When you get something up in the way of a video I'd love to check it out!