Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: DDO add new smart mat doesn't work anymore

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Felixb polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I have two problems.
Sometimes after working a while, the add new smart material button doesn't work anymore. Nothing pops up after I click it.
Like this:
http://i.gyazo.com/a852aec0e88150fdcab9bce4e3814ffd.gif

Second problem is in 3DO, when I assign materials through the Color ID links, they show up in 3DO, but everything else that I clear later, won't get updated in 3DO anymore. Sometimes it works, most of the times it doesn't work.

I found another thread that stated that I had to work locally (All of my files are on an external harddrive). So I tried to put them om my desktop and work from there to see if the problem was solved, but this did not work unfortunatelly.

Does anyone have a clue?

Kind regards,

Felix

Replies

• SpaceJunkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDO creates large files and placing them on your desktop is a bad idea as are any large files. The best solution would be to get an SSD drive and install DDO on it and work from that drive. If that's not an option then try creating a folder in the root of C: called something like ddo and work from there.

What are your computer specs and total disk space? Used and free.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi felixb!

First off I should clarify the external hard drive thing. External hard drive will most likely be fine, but a network drive might cause some issues. And just as SpaceJunkee suggests, having the files on the desktop might cause bad performance or errors.

It sounds like your problem in general might be PS scratch disks, make sure you have enough free space there as multiple PSD´s in high resolution takes up a lot of space and memory!

I didn´t fully understand your problem with 3DO, would you mind explaining a bit further? thanks!
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    SpaceJunkee:
    Current specs of my laptop are
    Intel I7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00 GHz
    8GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GT 555M
    C Drive: 62GB's free of 446 GB
    External: 48GB's free of 931 GB

Eric Ramberg:
    Okay, so basically I import all the maps I need: ColorID, Custom mesh, Normal, OS Normal, Gradiant map. Every color ID that I link before I create the project will show up in 3DO. (Sometimes it doesn't link all the materials and will just show up grey.) Every smart material that I add afterwards, will not update in 3DO.
  • SpaceJunkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Felixb,

When working from the external drive the problem could be a bottleneck at the interface and when working from your C drive the problem could be low disk space. Regarding the C drive, I'd free up a minimum of 50GB if that's the drive you're going to work from. I recommend this because a "System Managed Page File" or swap file can grow quickly using Photoshop especially with only 8GB of RAM.

A good rule of thumb is to try and maintain a minimum of 20% free space on C at all times, I prefer a little more. The absolute best upgrade you could do is the SSD. That's how mine's setup and it's easily twice as fast.

Also, if you have any large files on your desktop I recommend you move them to a folder anywhere on C and create shortcuts. Free up as much RAM as possible by closing unnecessary programs/processes and services.

Hope this helps you out, none of this really relates to your issues but you never know.

Quick question, have you tried starting fresh? Create a new project and import the maps like before.

*edit* Looks like Eric mentioned the PS scratch file which is similar to windows page file which when added up plus the files DDO is creating you might see issues. I totally forgot to mention the PS scratch..
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb a few questions:

Does the problem persist after restarting DDO?
    Does it happen on all the projects?
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    Hi eric,

Restarts do not fix the problem unfortunatelly. It doesn't happen all the time, it mostly happens when I have a lot of colorID's assigned. For example a file with 3 color ID's will work just fine. But the one with 15 color ID's had the problem a few times.
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    an example:
    I added a new paint material but it did not show up in 3DO.
    This is what it looked like after I restarted everything, even a reboot wouldn't work.

844b7bf7406103b6abf0b28c684bff2f.png
  • SpaceJunkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please excuse the question but seeing your stack, is it possible that your new material is under the existing color layer?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is strange, would you mind zipping the project and sending me a link so I can poke around and have a look?
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    SpaceJunkee:
    Unfortunatelly no, I check that multiple times.

Eric Ramberg:
    You've got a PM
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, took some time!

I looked at the project and didn´t experience any problems, right out the box this is how it looked:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p33z9xdb9l83mc0/Hover_01.jpg?dl=0

After adding a new metal on the main body of the hooverbike it looked like this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1b5gkwwmxvli2e/Hover_02.jpg?dl=0

Very strange, its still the same for you?
  • Felixb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felixb polycounter lvl 8
    Eric Ramberg:
    30a3d11781285878969b01a06006550e.png

Currently its even more weird, 3DO shows an very old version of my bike that isn't even in my file anymore. I'm guessing this is a technical issues and has nothing to do with my file. Maybe something with my photoshop settings or something?

No worries about it taking time, I know you guys are extremely busy and helping out people is a service not a lot of companies offer. So take your time and keep it up!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Felix, If you located your project and look in the "preview" folder, that´s where 3do stores the jpeg´s it uses. See how they look, if they have the old texture you can try deleting them to force 3do to update!
    Don´t delete everything in that folder though as all your mask thumbs are stored there as well!