7ick.jpg
idtc.jpg
jypm.jpg
mxfu.jpg
10fp1tu.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7941/9t5d.jpg
http://oi43.tinypic.com/jikn4z.jpg
http://oi43.tinypic.com/219dnnp.jpg

So I really need to get out a portfolio, so far got everything planned out (2 weapons - 1 vehicle for now).
Been jumping back and forth a bit between projects, but finishing this one first now.

Any feedback is welcome, not only the actual model, but also presentation/font/etc.
(not to sure about the red yet, was trying something with a glass material, and not really sure wether or not to combine the different renders in 1 image or leave them seperate)

todo list on this one:
-Complete the scope (quite a bit of work)
-Add the large/center bolt on the AFG
-some cleanup

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9413/rtom.jpg
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/719/nopt.jpg
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/482/r572.jpg
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9514/fr9a.jpg
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1839/9p43.jpg

Replies

• Stormfreek
    This is going to be awesome, looking good man :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    gun looks lovely & good shading, Id enjoy a different background but the contrast is good

That pull back lever thing on the back looks a bit too small
    Didnt find a better reference http://images.wikia.com/callofduty/pl/images/5/5c/Mw3_m4a1.png It looks better when its bigger imo and is a nice visual element in FPV.

eagerly for the textures
  • Ich 666
    Offline / Send Message
    Ich 666 polycounter lvl 9
    I would get rid of the DOF, the front of the gun is blurred in almost all of the renders.

The gun looks ace, although I would leave out the scoped render, unless you find some way to make the markers look more realistic.

Im waiting for the texture :thumbup:
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys, seems like I have a little more work to do on the presentation.

And shrike, I am assuming you mean the charging handle, and yes your right, looking at it now I'll size that up a bit (mostly in the height).
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    PURE SEX.

This thing is wicked. I think the scoped render is a great idea. If they haven't already, Games will move further and further away from using 2D screen overlays for scopes and move towards geometry and realistic lens behaviors. I think that shot is a great way to show it looks appealing during zoom.

Only really gripe is the FP view, The lens has some obvious pulling. Which I'm certain your aware of. But for the sake of saying it, it's easy enough to sub divide a cube and have a fine lens that doesn't artifact.

I'm curious, Did you base this off the high for your other rifle? I think one or the other should end up in your portfolio. Might look odd if they both share parts and are show as different pieces.

I've never seen your texture work, but if its as good as your modeling, I might just rage kill everything within 10 feet then give up on life. :poly141:

This makes me want to quite texturing and do some HP stuff :\

Edit: Just a quick thing i noticed, Depending on the map size you plan on using, details like this might not have much resolution to bake well.

i2sd7U.png
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    hah yes, I thought I'd try using a normal sphere instead of a subdivided cube wich I usually do (I blame the weather/heat :p), and it looked fine in the viewport, and then with a proper material I saw that that wasn't the brightest idea ^^

and yes, the receiver/grip/charging handle are from the previous one, but that one isn't going in. (maybe just the highpoly as a "bonus", but most likely not)

edit: saw your edit, yes you are right, but those are 2 floaters, so I'll remove them to be sure, and then just add them back (or not) with in the normal map.
    Thanks for pointing that out, saves me another testbake :p
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Gotcha. and i hear ya on the heat. About 105-110 daily here :) Will kick your ass for sure.

Anyway. can't wait to see the bake/textures on this beast. Should be pretty epic.
  • John51
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks.

A quick question/looking for some opinions on this.
    Situation:
    -going for a 2k texture (or atleast uv it in a way as if it would be for a 2k).
    -I want to mirror the part in red, and copy the dial at the top to the side (since that is visible in scoped view)
    -Right side will probably not be seen a lot (maybe very briefly in animation)
    -This version of the acog doesn't have the tritium strip (it was a choice between that and the ironsights at the top, wich won)
    -The scope itself would probably be a bit scaled up on the UV's.

So I am wondering, is this a bad idea, in terms of realism I am giving up something, but would save a very noticable bit of UV space.
    Or is this just silly, and should I just do it assymetrical.

1qzq.jpg
  • The Masked Beast
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I don't see the slightest issue with that. If you can't see both sides at the same time (or in this care, rarely) go for it. I assume your going for 2k for the entire weapon so UV real estate is a premium on a gun with this many pieces. I'd do every trick and mirror in the book to save space.
  • Pedro Amorim
    joeriv wrote: »
    Thanks guys, seems like I have a little more work to do on the presentation.

And shrike, I am assuming you mean the charging handle, and yes your right, looking at it now I'll size that up a bit (mostly in the height).

Always use photos from the actual thing as reference.
    And not pics of guns from other games. As they are representations of other things.
    Which would make your thing, a representation of a representation.

Also, looking good!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats on the Recap feature!

Hurry up with that bake! :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments/input :)
    And a little more patience s620ex1 :p
  • levigilbert
    Mirroring is pretty standard with weapons so do it as much as you can get away with. Try not to perfectly split it down the middle all the time though, it can get obvious. Usually I'll split certain parts and then leave others unmirrored to add some variety and help break up the texture a little.

Really nice high poly, I'm curious as well if some of those really small details are going to show up that well on the texture.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    thanks, but just to be clear, it's just that that acog has a assymetrical part so because of that I was debating wether or not to do it, since I lose a bit of "realism".
    Should have added a picture, but in case anyone isn't familiar with it and after seeing it thinks it's better to do it as is in real life, let me know :)
    http://cdn.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/384/801/384/tactical-acog-1x32-red-green-dot-scope-for-aifsoft-66077.jpg

And what small details are you doubtfull about?

anyway,

Got the lowpoly for the gun itself done (well almost, depending on feedback/small things that I might notice/bit of cleanup).
    14.622 triangles, and I am estimating the scope will add another 3-4k :s
    added a link to a highres image in case anyone wants to give feedback, and wants to get a closer look at it.

n3wh.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img571/1449/tzdx.jpg
    vkn8.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img94/9900/vnrx.jpg
    cm79.jpg

edit: before I forget a quick FP view (no smoothing groups yet)
    http://imageshack.us/a/img21/5570/csk4.jpg
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Lowpoly looks nice, clean and is optimized very well. Maybe, if you are thight on budget, you could remove the holes at the handguard at the front and remove some polys at the knob attached to the left rail. But yeah, i love it and i think if its for and portofolio / next-gen game i would not sacrifice the look just to save some polys.
  • levigilbert
    oh if the part isn't normally symmetrical I wouldn't mirror it. I thought that section of the scope you showed was normally symmetrical.

Some of the really tiny details like little bolts or holes or whatever can blur out if they're really small and the texture size isn't that big. But 2k textures is fairly big so I dunno, not really that worried.

Very nice model, definitely will make a nice portfolio piece.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man! here are a few thoughts i have so far.

goHzHP.png

1. First possible solution(if you choose not to do #5) is to do like you did on the other side of it, and eliminate the following geo.

2. are those portions floating for a reason(can't see edge lines there)? It looks beveled enough to unwrap in a single island, which would save some texture seam headaches.

3. Seeing as your already at 14.6, and looking at 17-18K after the scope, I don't think it would hurt to 1. add a loop around the barrel to ease some of that extreme smoothing there. as it appears, You may get some bake errors there. And 2. add some sides to the cylinder, even if its out of the way in FP view, Just for the sake of keeping a "unfaceted" silhouette I suppose.

4.Not knowing what happens on the other ends of those edges its hard to see whats happening here. I would assume after the horizontal edge at the top you start extruding and raising the surface on that edge. But the shading doesn't really reflect that, so I'm unsure.

5. Possibly have this floating? It has so much geo already, You could probably save a decent chunk but detaching it like the bullet extractor.

6. Looks dense. Don't know whats over there, But that far away from the player you could probably optimize. Add some segments to the strap rings, or something.

perhaps add some geo to a few spots close to the player in FPV: The end of the rail could afford a bevel i think, As it will be plainly exposed. same with the portion just above the charging handle. The bullet extractor "button" could use some geo as well i think. It would probably be fine as is, But if you optimize else where, you could justify having more sides there, and less noticeable faceting in the silhouette.

Edit: I'd have probably 2X the sides on the bullet as well. Again for keeping a uniform 'level of detail' around the model. Not to mention in a game, if they share the same texture, There could be loose bullets floating around the world, on a desk, Just a magazine that you can look into, Etc. Would be worth a few more sides i think ^^

Looking pretty slick though. Can't wait to see with the optic on there, as well as oggle and awegle at the normals :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    thanks a lot for the feedback ^^

all the things you said to add more geo are noted, gonna have a look at what I can improve/play around with wile not making the triangle count of control :p

1/4/5/6 are gonna get tweaked ( 4 was indeed not planar by like a really small amount, fixed now, good eyes :p)

2 is a long explanation (since you seem not sure how I actually did it), gonna send it to you since else this post would be to long :p

only thing I slight disagree with is:

3) the thing is, if it wasn't for the openings in the handguard you would never see that, and I looked at it from a normal distance just in case, and it's round, so I'm hesitant to add stuff there unless really necessary.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    (note: the gun is still in progress, I have not abandoned it, should have an update on that this week also)
    So besides the gun I also wanted to do a environment (always wanted to, always failed, and I really need to finish things, wich I am working on), so this is where I am with this.

Working from this crysis concept:
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5158/p13g.jpg

(wallpaper damage needs refining + concrete behind is a placeholder for now)
    yy9i.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Lookin tight man! That light fixture is looking real slick. Good rips on the bookcase too.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    thanks man, appreciate you taking a look at it :)
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    The gun is coming out nicely
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    sweet man , love the light set up!
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not sure if it's just the perspective but that door near the front of the image looks a little wide. Unless it's supposed to be a wide door, in which case, looks good :D
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Probably just perspective. I imagine its an instance of the one towards the back.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    silver_hoodlum&tierzilla, thanks for the comment/compliment :)

A-N-P, as S6 said, if it is only the closest door that feels that way, it's probably due to perspective, since all 3 doorframes and the door are the same size.
    You can also see it a bit happening in the concept:
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5158/p13g.jpg

But thanks for being taking a look/being critical, just in case I'll doublecheck it to see if all three aren't slightly to wide :)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Was just curious, Are the wall paper pieces all imported geometry? or do you only use imported geo for the edges/lifted parts and in engine tools for the rest of the surface? I might have to do some peeling walls soon and I'm curious how you approached it :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, it's basicly just the walls of the blockout copied, slight push outwards, and then just cut out the parts you don't want in max, and import it that way.
    Having proper pivots and such really helps here. :)

A lot of text on the page so far, so gonna throw in a quick update.
    -wallpaper is still wip (the damage part + the concrete), and yes the uv's are rotated on one side, gotta fix that :p
    -the doorknob/vent above the door/lightswitch are just flat color values atm

zhsc.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    looks awesome, man. What engine is this in?
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, and it is CE3

edit:
    @Prtofdacrowd sure, I'll have a look at how I can best show them (since not everything is in 1 file, and in engine it's a bit hard to see due to overlap/triangulation.

But if there is anything specific you want to see, let me know.
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    So far the environment is coming on nicely! Looking pretty interesting, especially the subtle strays from the concept. Would love to see some wires :)
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see your wallpaper/wall mesh its really interesting, seen it done a lot and it still intrigues me never got around to it, but love seeing it! Think the large contrast and brightness of the pure white light is not doing it justice, buts thats concept so... what can you do!? haha

Oh, and interested in the wire for your light switch just to see how high you went, I would have used spline loft actors in UDK but never used Cry, does it have a similar system?
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    On the lighting, I am still figuring that out, and I also don't have any problem with deviating from the concept if necessary, so if you have any feedback on that or ways to make that better, don't hold back ^^

wires:
    http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8815/8wvm.jpg

top part is the wire, I am new to cryengine, I have recently seen that there is a sort of rope system, but still have to try that out.
    And a piece of the wallpaper, not anything special.
    At the end I also add a very tiny shell modifier to give a small bit of thickness, so it doesn't disapear at certain angles, and so that I can assign a different material ID at the back (for the white backside).
    And the small loop you see at the bottom is something I was experimenting with to have a alpha at the edge of those borders where it is damaged.

that is where sometimes I wish ce3 had some sort of shader editor like udk, would be easy that way, but at the same time it's sort of fun trying to figure out workarounds ^^
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    managed to get the door started while only using textures that were already in the scene (except for a small decal sheet with stickers).
    And also deviating a little from the concept to get more of a sense of who's living there, and some cables in the concept.

egcx.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Psshhhhh. shoulda went with a marshall stack ^^

Looking cool tho! Can't wait to see the guitar done up.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    pssshhhhhh engl > marshall :D
    Just feel like it's a bit to typical to do a marshall.
    You will have to wait a while for the guitar though, will be the last thing I do outside of small details/refining :p
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Rejectiong conventional eh?

amp-orange-header.png
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Offline / Send Message
    For this scene the concept is amazing, but theres so much difference in your environment assets that it is really only the inspiration for this environment. On that note I think you could do some really cool things with the lighting.

Example:

Kill one of the fluorescent tubes, maybe even break it and have it shattered on the floor (actually they are so high up usually I don't know if generate enough heat, but if you did break it you could highlight the broken glass edge and let it glow a bit) but you have some great gaps under your door and the vents above you could let some light sneak out or create some planes with some very light emissive, something subtle for some extra detail. And there is that door open at the end which you could use to bounce some light into the scene, as one light will dramatically darken the scene. But as it is not present in the scene you can tweak its color and value :)

Just an example, depends on how much of the concept you're relying on. :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Yes you are right on that, and going trough some other environment I also noticed how playing with different light sources can look really great, and I don't mind deviating a bit, if it means the end result looks better, and as you mention there is a lot of things in there that could be used for that.

It probably won't be today, since I am doing some props atm/finishing up some things, and want to get those done first, but from tomorrow I'll spend a day or so playing around with the lighting for sure.

Thanks a lot for the input ^^

@s6, heh, it's just that atm I think that the engl is just a lot more interesting, because it's more open/has some interesting materials and things to do with it.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Couldn't resist, so played around with the lighting somewhat already.
    (did a bit of CA in PS, still trying to understand the flowgraph nodes, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't)

jikn4z.jpg
    219dnnp.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm LOVING this.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I'm with Joopson, definitely loving everything you have so far.

A few crits for things that are standing out right now

- The Normal map on the box where the icons are. They're usually printed(or stamped?) into the box and wouldn't have any depth. With the lighting and Chromatic Aberration, the depth is really standing out. It's one of those things that isn't a big deal, but once you notice it, it's hard to look away.
    - I like the lighting you have, but maybe push it a little more? Having the foreground a little darker or the light from the room a little warmer? Some dust particles in the light would be nice too :)

Keep it up!
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks leleuxart & joopson.

It's indeed the CA causing it, I'll have to be carefull for that in the future, good catch :)
    without ca:
    http://oi39.tinypic.com/2055993.jpg

And still learning lighting, so I'll play around with it more and see what I can come up with keeping in mind what you said :)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Wasn't sure which one to highlight, But between the rug, Wood floor, and wall paper materials no ones pants are safe from discharge :)
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    This is great man. I would love to see your light setup in Cryengine :D

If I were you I'd consider putting an occasional kink or turned up corner on the rug.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks s6&polycrunch
    The rug turned corners/kinks is going on my to do list. :)

For the light setup, it's nothing special:
    VisArea with 2 portals in the windows in that side room, and tweaked the sun (lighting tool for position, terrain for the color/intensity).
    Then I added some normal lights as bounce lights/fill (wich I found are really important when you are doing the sun coming into a room), usually I turn off the specular on those, I think I just left it on on like the main bounce light (if I don't forget, you can see 2 weird specular highlights in the second screenshot that shouldn't be there).

And for the other lighting, for the visible light, it's a normal light with a projector texture (2 actually, 1 rectangle with a blur on it, and 1 that's like a circle fading out).
    And then again some normal lights to fill up where it gets to dark.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    -edit- new page because this one has a lot of images already, hope no one minds.
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    back at it after a small break, baked down the gun to get started again.
    Still have to do the lettering/small ndo details/small fixes/scope.

9t5d.jpg

wires:
    onta.jpg