Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - Cerbiron - "Western Rounin"

Hello everyone, I appreciated Polycount and Mixamo for the wonderful contest
This gonna be my first contest I jointing in, and a good opportunity for me to boot up my skill.
(I'm sorry if my English's too bad or strange)

I'd been inspirate by a Japanese classic movie (Kurosawa Akira), and then I created a profile of character and researched for samurai in meiji era.

Story
After the end of Eido era and Meiji era comes. Emperor Meiji abolished the samurai's right and right to ware thier sword.
Maeda Ryoma, a samurai who used to serve the former emperor in Eido era. He refused to put down his sword and decided to get this opportunity to explore the world as "Ronin", and learning a new thing in a way of "Bushido". At last, Maeda settled his home in a new world "America" as mercenary and bounty hunter in Couple years.

When I done to put a story of character, I continue with a profiling of character and collect the referent of wild west fashion in 1870's (mountain man) and traditional samurai dress in the same time

I'd like this character is realistic and reasonable as impossible
This is some part of reference I collected
Ryoma_Reference.jpg

My drawing skill is very s***k, it's my major problem can't be solve:(, then I have to pay attention about the profiling and collecting the reference more than normal.

Because of his profile is very cleared. I led him try to dress himself as he want and what he need. After that just simply drafting in Photoshop and Zbrush (I'm just newbie in Zbrush)

Ryoma_Drafting.jpg

This is Ryoma's face I figured out what's he look like should be. May it can be improve later (old-fashion Japanese)

RyomaFace.jpg

After this, I'll model a hi-poly and lo-poly in 3ds max piece by piece.

Replies