Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marcus Dublin Art Spot

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That head sculpt at the top is really awesome. I like them all but especially the top one is great! nice work.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a new personal character that I completed in my off time. This particular character was largely inspired by the fantastic character designs featured in the Digital Extremes game called Warframe. The design of the character outfits in that game appeal to me as an artist, and so I couldn't wait to create something along the same lines for my portfolio.

Wasp_Beautyshot.jpg
    Wasp_CloseUp_Beautyshot.jpg
    Wasp_Render_Turntable.jpg
    Wasp_Render_Diffuse_Turntable.jpg
    Wasp_Sculpt.jpg
    Wasp_Render_Wires_Turntable.jpg
    Wasp_TextureSheets.jpg
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice man, did you use you zremesher on him?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Very cool character, and awesome work as always, Marcus. The design reminds me of the Guyver. :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    He looks a little stumpy to me, like his legs could be longer, but man its really freaking awesome! I'm guessing the hp was done is zbrush, nice work keeping the forms so clean also!
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El Scorcho: Looking nice man, did you use you zremesher on him?

Thanks! Yeah it was my first time using zremesher, and I have to say that I absolute love it. So much so, I've now made it a mainstay in my production workflow.

Jeremy-S: Very cool character, and awesome work as always, Marcus. The design reminds me of the Guyver.

Thanks man! I had some Guyver reference images mixed in with the Warframe stuff, so it all kind of melded together in the end.

BradMyers82: He looks a little stumpy to me, like his legs could be longer, but man its really freaking awesome! I'm guessing the hp was done is zbrush, nice work keeping the forms so clean also!

Thanks as always for taking the time to comment. Unfortunately, the slightly shorter appearance has to do with the way in which the thigh armor is designed. The top end rides right under his waistline, which breaks the illusion of length. However, it's all within proportion.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome Marcus. Love the space render
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice work Marcus! the sculpt looks very nice and clean.

what is the render from, realtime or offline ?

the spec map feels a bit too uniform, so does the gloss map but other than that the textures looking nice.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo: Looks awesome Marcus. Love the space render

Thanks man, glad you dig the work!

MM: nice work Marcus! the sculpt looks very nice and clean.

what is the render from, realtime or offline ?

the spec map feels a bit too uniform, so does the gloss map but other than that the textures looking nice.

Thanks as always for the comments, and feedback. All of the renders were offline, I used Vray with some post Photoshop work for the first two beauty shots. The ratio was about 70/30 for the beauty renders, mostly color grading and background compositing. 100% Vray for the turntable.

Thanks for the advice on the spec and gloss!
  • CGIvan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot nice work man! How's the time lapse coming along?
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting the new year off strong with my latest piece. Pacific Rim was one of my favorite movies of 2013, and I loved the designs of the Kaiju so much that I decided to make one of my very own. I present to you Titanus! Titanus is a category 5 Kaiju. Each image render captures him in a different setting, all of which inspired by the terrific film.

Enjoy!

Beauty Renders

Kaiju_Titanus_NightProwl_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_DawnApproach_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_UnderwaterDescent_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_CityAttackNight_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_OceanNightBattle_Render.jpg

Process

Kaiju_Titanus_Turntable_All_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_TurnTable_Diffuse_Render.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_Sculpt_Layout.jpg
    Kaiju_Titanus_TurnTable_Wires.jpg
    Titanus_Kaiju_Top_TextureSheets.jpg
    Titanus_Kaiju_Bottom_TextureSheets.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice sculpting Marcus. the texture looks great too, but might need a tiny bit more chaos in terms of color and value. also i feel like the SSS for this should be more cool bluish/cyan (similar to the glow) since it might have blue blood.

btw, have you tried rendering this in toolbag 2 ? seems like this would be a great candidate for it.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    really nice sculpting Marcus. the texture looks great too, but might need a tiny bit more chaos in terms of color and value. also i feel like the SSS for this should be more cool bluish/cyan (similar to the glow) since it might have blue blood.

btw, have you tried rendering this in toolbag 2 ? seems like this would be a great candidate for it.

Thanks as always for chiming in. Your incremental feedback after each update has helped me tremendously.

Regarding the texture, I was pretty happy with it at the time as it matched the look of film maquettes that I was referencing. However, looking back I probably could have given it a bit more flare in spots. Nevertheless I think it got the job done.

I made the SSS map slightly red for technical reasons. Mind you, I initially made it blue as it made sense given that the Kaiju blood is blue; however, this didn't work out so well with the mental ray shader that I built. In short, the results were less than desirable. No matter how much I tweaked the epidermal, and sub dermal settings the material with the blue texture failed to properly emit a decent back scatter. I think mental ray is hard coded to work best this shades of red, lol. In order to get the blue sub-surface effect 'which is hardly seen given the scale, thickness of the skin, and lighting' I had offset the blue material settings with the red texture. It worked out well in the end; however, it didn't end up playing a huge factor in the renders given the density of skin. The same could be said for the film.

I've got Toolbag 2 installed, and will be making some test renders. I simply went with offline rendering because it's what I started building my scenes with.