Home General Discussion

GameDevTweet - a dev twitter page

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
53136f0457633.jpg

http://www.thegamedevcast.com/index.php/gamedevtweet/

** edited **

So, Kotaku recently posted an article about who to follow in the game industry - it featured very well-known people from within the industry, who, while certainly incredibly talented and valuable professionals, had already established themselves, hence the question could be raised whether they still needed the attention.

After quite an extensive conversation on various social platforms that followed the article, I started working on a website that I've named "gamedevtweet". It's basically a list where game developers of all schools (art to programming to marketing and everything in between or outside for that matter) can have their twitter account added, thus providing a centralized web page to go to if you want to know what game developers to follow in this industry.

If you want your twitter on there, you can add yourself on this list which we use to update the site a couple of times per week:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av6KXpE5bkW3dDhaeE91WGZ3Umpsc2ljZGt0Q3ozMUE&usp=sharing#gid=1

I am also still looking for people to help curate the list. This involves keeping the list updated and expanding it whenever someone asks for it.

As far as expanding the list goes, we're still looking for better ways to implement this system, but for now what we have seems acceptable enough to continue forward.

Replies

• Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I love this idea (and am one of those people who ranted to Mattias.) I'm a big user of Twitter, but also feel that this is a great step to helping each other communicate, getting younger artists noticed, help people discover other projects/artists/companies in a more intuitive way. Lists, and suggested posts, and all of that really only go so far..and it's a best guess kind of thing (i.e. You liked this guy from Ubisoft..here's 6 other people who do entirely different things in that company...even though you just want to follow character guys.)

It's just nice. I want to see a better job than what Kotaku pumped out. tired of seeing rockstar devs get more attention, and the journalist/media circle jerk that gets passed back and forth. I'd rather see one post from a young artist trying to get into the industry to review his work over 100 posts from Leigh Alexander telling me what games mean.

I'm helping spread the word of this list, to help stay as a living document to help Mattias with his scripts / web set up. It'd be great if people could add their handle - if they want - nothing super intrusive, just your handle is all that's "really" needed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av6KXpE5bkW3dDhaeE91WGZ3Umpsc2ljZGt0Q3ozMUE&usp=drive_web#gid=1
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Can you make it so that your site display their latest tweet without going to visit each and everyone one of em ? Like a live feed. And maybe user can click to show like 5 more tweets from a certain guy and such.

But then again, most ppl tweet about totally random things it's not often you catch something useful.

Note: I don't use twitter.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    don't follow me, I just tweet my disillusionment with the industry and post Hexel art
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Not to deride the effort at all, but is there much point in following games people? Most people probably can't talk specifics about their work anyway, so aren't those tweets largely the same as any other person? In all these years that Twitter has existed, I have yet to come across a single twitter user page that seemed even remotely interesting to read...
    (don't mind me, I'm just grumpy about this stuff)
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Not to deride the effort at all, but is there much point in following games people?

Not really. 90% (if not more) of tweets are completely off topic so unless you spend all day reading every tweet chances are anything interesting will be missed. It's why I went from following ~350 people to well under 100. Less garbage to filter through.
  • makinmagic3
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    There's a game art resource timeline on twitter which you maybe able to do something with.

https://twitter.com/Mospheric/timelines/400630834652131328
  • MaVCArt
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    I've amended my original post to reflect the new URL (which is now hosted on the podcast site to make use of the advantages of wordpress optimisation plugins), and to better explain what we still need and are trying to accomplish.

@Xoliul: You're absolutely right - I also never intended this to just be a twitter page, which is why I built it from the ground up to be completely modular, which would make it easy for example to add further details later on, such as portfolio links and LinkIn pages. This is just an idea, but at least it's a possibility :) This is all I could come up with in a weekend though.

I also want to add to that, that a list of game developers of any kind can be useful for recruiters, especially considering the fact they're organized by category.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    There's a game art resource timeline on twitter which you maybe able to do something with.

https://twitter.com/Mospheric/timelines/400630834652131328

I'd also say follow #gameart hashtag deal.