Home General Discussion

The Legend of Korra

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
I'm surprised there's not a thread on this already.

Anyone else watching The Legend of Korra? The first season just ended and I think it was quite good, I liked it even better than 'Avatar: The last Airbender".

With the last airbender I felt I had to force myself to watch it and get past some childish humor and such for the sake of a pretty good overall plot. But since most of the leads in Korra are adults are at least teenagers I find myself enjoying it a lot more. The season finale was especially cool and raises a lot of questions - also was probably the most intense thing Nickelodeon has ever aired, heh.
Seriously, moving people around like puppets with blood bending is some pretty disturbing imagery! Speaking of which, did Amon kill 'The Lieutenant' or just knock him out? Maybe he'll come back as the villain for the next season? I was very surprised to see all of the story arcs wrap up so neatly at the end of this. Especially surprising to see Amon and Tarrlok die like that, but it was a really awesome moment. I found myself more interested in their story than the protagonist's. Will there even be a next season? Does anyone know?

Replies

• R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Too much love triangle and less kung fu than the first. Also blood bending was in the first series too, so nothing too new there.
    About the lieutenant, it was pretty unclear I'm going to say knocked out though. Kinda wished we had more backstory on him.

I would hardly say anything was neatly wrapped up, it all seemed pretty rushed, what with the whole WELL THEY FOUND OUT I'M A BENDER BETTER GIVE UP AND START A NEW LIFE.

Not to mention the whole suddenly learning how to airbend out of nowhere, no one explaining how Amon could bloodbend away someones bending.

We were all waiting for Korra to go into the avatar state the whole time, what with Mako about to lose his bending, but nope, he shoots lightning at Amon and does more damage to him than anyone has done in the show previously. It seemed more like I was watching The Legend of Mako the whole time.

Plus they spent a good amount of the series focusing on Bolin and Mako, only to make Bolin irrelevant by the end. They should have focused more on Amon's backstory, or the lieutenants backstory, really, anything would probably be better than the love triangle.

They also made Lin's sacrifice completely moot since the air benders were captured anyways

Metal benders, stop trying to use metal bending on the guys that have lightning gloves, it didn't work the first time, it wont work now.

Don't get me started on the Deus Ex Machina of Korra suddenly learning all of her bending again.

Also that's a nice tip of the hat that you gave Iroh, Zuko's voice actor, but its completely out of place.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I know Blood bending was in the first series, but it didn't play as big a role at all, we just saw it once or twice really.

Yeah, things did feel a bit rushed at the end. I mean, this story could have probably been better told in 2-3 seasons, with more room for character building and subplots along the way. When i say it was neatly wrapped up, I mean they ended pretty much every plot line they had going. Villains? dead. Struggle with learnign air bending and connecting to the spiritual side? Gone. Love triangle? Sorted. There's really nothing left leading into the next season, except maybe getting to see more of certain characters we didn't get to see much from this time around.

I was a bit annoyed how Amon seemed to go from being a badass to a bitch because hf ell down and got his mask knocked off. Like, he just completely gave up? Seemed weird.

Oh yeah, the fan service with iroh's voice actor being the same as Zuko. It's kinda cool but it really kills the masculinity of this 30-something year old GENERAL of an army to sound like he's 12.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I dont get why Amon didnt just burn his face for real instead of using makeup. I mean even Tarlock shocked himself with the electric glove to throw off the police
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Great series, really enjoyed the first season. Season 2 has been announced, but no real info on it yet.

I actually just watched through the original Last Air Bender series a few weeks ago. One thing it had over Korra was that the cast was filled with extrordinary people, where as the new series is mostly just Korra+villain+extras.

As for the ending, well...
    Amons whole campaign against benders hinged on the fact that he himself was a victim of them. Once it was revealed that he was both a bender and was never harmed by them many/most of his followers felt betrayed and would likely have hunted him down. No matter how many people believed in the cause, he sealed his own fate when he showed his water bending and unscarred face.

Season 2 will probably continue the anti-bender movement though, sense while Amon may be gone, the hatred so many people had wont likely just disappear.

I am wondering how the Air bender family got caught, did someone reveal where they were going? A spy in the midst?
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    It was Meelo, first fart bending, now this.

Originally Korra was only going to be a single season long, I'm glad theres more since this would make a really lackluster ending.
  • Mrskullface
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ryswick wrote: »
    WELL THEY FOUND OUT I'M A BENDER BETTER GIVE UP AND START A NEW LIFE.

taken completely out of context here, this made me lol so hard...
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Would have been better if Amon wasn't a bender, imo
  • Warotic
    to the amon and tarrlok part, amon had lighting air fire and all other sorts of stuff shot at him. managed to dodge it because of his blood bending? not to mention amon is a water bender. so just cuz tarrlok blew up the boat doesnt mean amon didint water tornado back home.
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's not a thread on this already.

Seriously, moving people around like puppets with blood bending is some pretty disturbing imagery! Speaking of which, did Amon kill 'The Lieutenant' or just knock him out? Maybe he'll come back as the villain for the next season? I was very surprised to see all of the story arcs wrap up so neatly at the end of this. Especially surprising to see Amon and Tarrlok die like that, but it was a really awesome moment. I found myself more interested in their story than the protagonist's. Will there even be a next season? Does anyone know?
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Finished up this season last night, I was very satisfied. It felt more concise than the first series, but it did not feel rushed to me.
    Yes, there were things that went unexplained, but we've got a second season in development. I'm not sure if Amon is actually dead or not. I thought his story was a good one, it makes sense - I actually suspected as soon as we found out Tarrlok was a blood bender that Amon might've used something similar to block what could be viewed as the viewed as the more "physical" elements, and it explains why he resisted Tarrlok's blood bending before as well. I don't think his blood bending abilities were what enabled him to go toe to toe with most other benders, though, he's just a prodigy - similar to Azula in the first series (some may remember her going head to head with 3 people at once without using any bending of her own, in the episode with the eclipse). So nothing new there.

The love triangle thing was a little odd, but they did say there would be some "cheesy teenaged romance" and I thought it fit decently enough.

Really I think what I like most about this new series, is how well it manages to distance itself from the old series while still being very clearly "Avatar".

Can't wait for season 2!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Just finished it last night.
    Took me a while to get used to the technological advances. I was feeling a little iffy about it all, but the storyline totally made up for it. I'm just not a city person. :P

I don't think it was rushed at all. I find they wrapped things up perfectly.
  • Pangahas
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Twenty. Six. Episodes.

I just came.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Warotic wrote: »
    so just cuz tarrlok blew up the boat doesnt mean amon didint water tornado back home.

Explosions kinda hurt, you know.