Home Dota 2

Belkun's Workshop

polycounter lvl 7

Replies

• darkartsofneko
    I looked at your workshop submissions, and while it does match the character, it feels a bit boring. I'm not particularly fond of the end, especially in game shots. I don't know if I'm confusing part of his costume with the end of your mace, but it seems a bit stretched or rigged incorrectly, but it's hard to tell with just the one angle.

The texture also seems a bit blurry on the in game shot, and the cracks look larger; this probably has something to do with the way the image got scaled down. Did you scale it down manually or let the dota workshop do it?

All in all, I think it's a good first submission, and can't wait to see more work from you :)
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I looked at your workshop submissions, and while it does match the character, it feels a bit boring. I'm not particularly fond of the end, especially in game shots. I don't know if I'm confusing part of his costume with the end of your mace, but it seems a bit stretched or rigged incorrectly, but it's hard to tell with just the one angle.

The texture also seems a bit blurry on the in game shot, and the cracks look larger; this probably has something to do with the way the image got scaled down. Did you scale it down manually or let the dota workshop do it?

All in all, I think it's a good first submission, and can't wait to see more work from you :)

It's probably the angle, I'll try to take more pictures from different sides.

As for the texture, I didn't quite like the end result as well, it looked great while it was 2048x2048, but it's pretty blurry 256x256. I agree that if the cracks were bigger it could look better. And I scaled it manually instead of letting the compiler do it.

Thanks for all the feedback!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Updated with sharper textures and a smaller model!

tTA4kdr.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Revised masks! Now the textures have a similar reflection to OD's body.

Kbu9jFy.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sketching some stuff for this month's competition, thinking about doing a roman themed PA set.

2tceo

(I know that my drawing is pretty f***ing terrible, but I have a better way with things on 3D).
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    2tjrt

Prepping for ZBrush.

Changed some stuff a bit, still not so sure about the hair and the helm's back. Any suggestions?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Scrapped up PA's stuff (at least for now) and started a Dark Seer kind of circlet/helm:

2QWjJUU.jpg

Will finish up the textures probably tomorrow.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Done!

QEV3Qtr.jpg

May revise masks tomorrow, but everything else is pretty much solid.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    looks pretty, good job. Can i see mesh?
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I'm pretty curious... How did you make that gem ish eye? Like... How did you make it so triangly in zbrush?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Nikey wrote: »
    looks pretty, good job. Can i see mesh?

I'm working right now, but I'll post it in about 3~4h!
    I'm pretty curious... How did you make that gem ish eye? Like... How did you make it so triangly in zbrush?

I made a sphere on Maya with few polys (something like 8x8 subdivisions) and just made the edges normals hard, then I just creased it on ZBrush, so it didn't get smoothed out while subdividing it for a bit of sculpting.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    belkun wrote: »
    I'm working right now, but I'll post it in about 3~4h!

I made a sphere on Maya with few polys (something like 8x8 subdivisions) and just made the edges normals hard, then I just creased it on ZBrush, so it didn't get smoothed out while subdividing it for a bit of sculpting.

Nice^^ Thanks for the reply :D
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Here's the wireframe!

woonm28.jpg

Also the texture, if anyone is interested (original is 2k):

fifbjbJ.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I present you my newest disaster: a weapon for PA!

Nsm11in.png
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    I think this weapon is too small. I think that it should be longer, because this is not a short dagger. But its only my position. Can i look at this on PA?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Nikey wrote: »
    I think this weapon is too small. I think that it should be longer, because this is not a short dagger. But its only my position. Can i look at this on PA?

I intend on making it a bit smaller than the original weapon, so it kinda looks like an oversized broken dagger.

Not quite done sculpting yet, so here's the original base mesh along with PA's original weapon:

LTXanJC.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Ran into a lot of problems today, not quite happy with how it's coming along. I guess I'm just going to finish for the sake of it.

z8laWnU.png

(textures not done)
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    6HxLRkK.png

Looks like a terrible cardboard dagger.

Well, guess I'm back to the drawing board.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I think the colour scheme deviates too much from the Phantom Assassin palette here. Also, the functionality of that dagger wont read well considering the multiple attack animations she has and the general way she attacks.

Generally Phantom Assassin weapons seems very asymmetrical. You could go back to the drawing board with a similar idea using two separate weapons that have broken and been combined given the bands you have in your concept.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    hopgood wrote: »
    I think the colour scheme deviates too much from the Phantom Assassin palette here. Also, the functionality of that dagger wont read well considering the multiple attack animations she has and the general way she attacks.

Generally Phantom Assassin weapons seems very asymmetrical. You could go back to the drawing board with a similar idea using two separate weapons that have broken and been combined given the bands you have in your concept.

The colors were mostly for testing, but only after I imported it in-game that I noticed that the weapon itself was crap, there's no depth or anything, the shape was just uninteresting and looked flat.

Originally I planned something similar to what you said, two broken weapons combined by the bands, but I ended up with only half of it, because I thought that it would be kind of "new" compared to other stuff we already have for her, but turns it it just looks generic.

I'll see if I can come up with something better. Even though it looks bad, it was really nice for me to learn new techniques, now I'm able to do it much faster and even a bit nicer than I used to. Just need decent concepts now.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spiced up a bit the main post, much more organized now.

Also, I did a really quick Katar today, mostly to train, but it may fit some hero (like Riki maybe), so I thought about importing it into the game. I don't think there's anyone with punch/claw animations where it would fit, and it wouldn't look good on heroes like PA, AM and BS, since they mostly slash with their weapons, which isn't really the purpose of a katar.

Any ideas?

msUxPjF.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    tH32S5j.png

Managed to rig it on Riki, doesn't look that bad, only some clipping issues when he spins his dagger on some animations.

I'm liking the colors so far, any suggestions? I may just fiddle with the saturation a bit, some more texture work, then wrap it up.

Anyway, for something that I made mostly for training, I think it turned out pretty decent.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some other colors:

79vqwwg.png5Zo3n9L.png

Still not sure which one I like more. I'm probably going to test it ingame to see how it looks like over there.

EDIT

gLGTQkX.png

Liking it a lot so far!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A new weapon for Meepo! Concept by Sharc :D

opWX9gv.jpg

hC7FFgR.jpg

First time working with a pretty great concept instead of my terrible drawings, and everything went incredibly smooth! It's pretty great when you actually know what you're going for, instead of thinking about stuff on the fly and screwing up everything (something I make quite often).
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    The masks could use some work. The metal parts should have more specular.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Jalcober wrote: »
    The masks could use some work. The metal parts should have more specular.

I had more specular before, but I think it was too shiny, but I'll fiddle with it a bit more tomorrow. I REALLY need to learn more about masks, mainly about how creating them.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Another weapon for Meepo from Sharc's concept:

ORJgCCI.png

Just need to finish texturing now! Spent almost 4 hours yesterday fixing the topology due to lots of problems while baking, but I learned a great deal about it. Still missing a cavity map so I can start on colors, but hopefully I'll submit it today.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Looking great!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sharc wrote: »
    Looking great!

Thank you!

Finishing up colors now!

FxaRElV.png

I had some stuff to do yesterday, so I'm wrapping things up today instead. Any crits about the color? Only have to rig it and finish masks now, then submit :D

EDIT

In-game with masks!

MuYtIv4.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A render test of the sword of an upcoming Chaos Knight set I'm working on with Stefco!

NjzYwFy.jpg
  • Чёрный л
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    6CwXmrs.png

OhWRGEN.png

XM6GQ8X.png

CrjeZJI.png

Everything so far! Hopefully we'll finish it up this month :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Shoulders are super weak right now, you may want to buff them up a lot.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Shoulders are super weak right now, you may want to buff them up a lot.

Yeah, it's looking a bit frail, I'll try to make it bulkier.
    Thanks for the help! Critique is always appreciated.

EDIT

Much closer to the concept, specially his left side, and also some tweaks to his right. Just need to fix some stuff in the back.

dfrBmlv.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Changed the silhouette a bit yesterday with Stefco's help and cleaned up the mesh today (specially the metal part). Only need to fix some stuff on the strap and finish up the cloth. Hope I can wrap up the sculpt tomorrow and possibly start on the retopo.

m3lEncF.jpg

Much different from the last picture, specially the back. Now everything looks bulkier a more badass.

As always, critique is highly appreciated. I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I would be harsh a bit but only in the interest of the set. The shoulders need to be redesigned and reimagined. Currently it doesn't feel right.
  • Noblebatterfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Noblebatterfly polycounter lvl 10
    Changed the silhouette a bit yesterday with Stefco's help and cleaned up the mesh today (specially the metal part). Only need to fix some stuff on the strap and finish up the cloth. Hope I can wrap up the sculpt tomorrow and possibly start on the retopo.

m3lEncF.jpg

Much different from the last picture, specially the back. Now everything looks bulkier a more badass.

As always, critique is highly appreciated. I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking.

It looks like he colds :'c
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    I would be harsh a bit but only in the interest of the set. The shoulders need to be redesigned and reimagined. Currently it doesn't feel right.

Don't worry about being harsh or anything, as long as it's constructive criticism, it's always good :)

Anyway, I felt it was a bit off before that last update, looking weak and not really interesting, despite having some cool design elements, but I think that after messing with the silhouette and discussing it with Stefco, now it fits the set a bit more. I really like some of the shapes, and I don't really think it looks bad.

I guess that most of it is personal preference at this point. I can definitely see where your concern is coming from, but I think that the final product would look better once we have the textures laid down, since some of the cool ideas that Stefco had are there, like having the detail map going above the strap and stuff. And I also hope I manage to rig it properly, so the spikes/horns move with his arm, as if they're coming from inside it.

Thanks for the input!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    While the CK set doesn't need my immediate attention, picked up a concept from Hawt Koffee for a Bloodseeker weapon, here's a WIP sculpt with some polypaint:
    lCKn7oH.png
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    looking good, could use a little wear and tear
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    looking good, could use a little wear and tear

Yup! That's the next step. Only will be able to work on it a bit later today, but I think I can wrap up the sculpt before tomorrow :D

EDIT

Now with extra cuts!

f2VfdzY.png

Are there too many cuts? I usually exaggerate a bit with wear and tear, still trying to find that balance between making a good amount of detail and don't make them turn into noise in-game. I'm thinking about removing some cuts like that big X and some smaller ones. Would love some crits.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup! That's the next step. Only will be able to work on it a bit later today, but I think I can wrap up the sculpt before tomorrow :D

EDIT

Now with extra cuts!

f2VfdzY.png

Are there too many cuts? I usually exaggerate a bit with wear and tear, still trying to find that balance between making a good amount of detail and don't make them turn into noise in-game. I'm thinking about removing some cuts like that big X and some smaller ones. Would love some crits.

I wouldn't really add any cuts on the handle
    mostly around the striking end, that's where the majority of wear is going to be, rather than just place cuts everywhere
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    zuSxvzo.png

Agreed about the cuts. Cleaned them up and also removed that X that was bothering me a bit.

Going to clean up and review some stuff tomorrow before moving to lowpoly. Meanwhile, crits are always welcome :D
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Scratches should be larger. Looks like most of those will be lost ingame.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the feedback Jalcober! I made them a bit bigger and deeper today, now you can notice the bigger ones in-game, and everything looks good on the loadout view.

Getting this baby down to 250 was a pretty tough challenge, but I think I managed to do it. Here are some screenshots of it ingame, still have to tweak the textures and masks:

l1jvHc7.png

NDCu0pL.png

CzK4ulR.png

2hlZpB0.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    looking great! could be a bit bigger
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    looking great! could be a bit bigger

Thank you :D

If I make it any bigger it's going to clip too hard on the ground. It's already clipping a bit when he is standing still, but looks okay when moving. I'll see if I can fiddle a bit more with its size.